VIOFO A329 2CH - Testing / Review - RCG

may lure customers away from Thinkware, and into a Viofo increasing their marketshare.
The first step must done by Mediatek. Mediatek is working on it. The most important parameter is the „wake-up” parameter which will be nice to be under 0.3 seconds at least on one channel recording. If I was some IT genius I would make the wake-up time under 0.3 seconds but the recording video to start first on the channel where the motion was detected or the biggest shock was detected. Then the other channel(s) to start recording.
My typical weekday is a 10 minute drive to work, 9 hours parked, 10 minute drive home.
Because you know you cant charge a normal power bank in just 10 minutes, maybe you should look for some special setup with the best and fastest charging technology. Is I was the same IT genius maybe I would invent a power bank which is charging directly from the car alternator.

But in such cases like yours the best and cheapest way is to have a CCTV camera pointed to your car. Of course, can be some legal problems because in countries like Romania you cannot (officially) point the camera to record on public domain, it is allowed only in your private area. But this is only official. In reality, if something is happening police is coming to you asking if you have some video footage from the public domain to help them. Many, many cases were solved because of illegal mounted CCTV cameras so in reality the citizen are helping the police. Why is this stupid law, I dont understand. OK, I accept the stupid things about GDPR to not make public some persons, but there is also the law which is allowing to record on public area. They agree to record with a smartphone but not agree to record with CCTV exactly the same public place.

My typical weekday is a 10 minute drive to work, 9 hours parked, 10 minute drive home. Parking mode is very important to me. I don't regularly drive enough to charge a car battery or a dashcam battery pack to cover that amount of parking time.

I'm building a new setup that uses a 185Wh powerbank that I can charge at home easily. I'm not sure yet - I just started testing - but I might get 3 or 4 days of parking time from a full charge, depending on the dashcam I choose to buy.

The A329 low power consumption is attractive to me, combined with it's excellent driving recording performance.
With such use of the car, you can not do without an external battery.
I bought myself a 384Wh LiFePO4 battery, which the controller switches off when the voltage reaches 10V and this does not harm the battery. The battery charging time at home is 1.5 hours. I have not done tests yet and I do not know exactly how long this battery will last for recording.
Although everything can be calculated without a test, thanks to the measurements of the user rcg530.

Last edited:
Li-ion or LiFePO4?
And how are you going to trigger the ACC wire of the HK4 to enter / exit parking mode?
Don't Viofo models go into parking mode without НK4?
As a last resort, you can install a switch on the yellow wire.
I bought LiFePO4 and НK4, which does not have a low voltage switch.

Because you know you cant charge a normal power bank in just 10 minutes, maybe you should look for some special setup with the best and fastest charging technology.
I am trying a portable battery that I can easily remove from the car and charge at home.

Li-ion or LiFePO4?
Li-po. Not ideal for a car environment, but I don't live in a place with very high or low temperatures. And charging will only be at room temp at home.

EDIT: This battery only just arrived. If I find it useful in the car, I will write about it in a separate thread. If not, I will use it for camping.

Last edited:
@Karagandinez With long runtime comes another issue - SD card space. I also use battery that I charge myself but I have to check my vehicle every day or two otherwise it would overwrite the recording. What charger are you using?
@TonyM Are you using dashcam for surveillance? If that's the case you will need HK4 so it activates "Parking Mode" - longer runtime and smaller video size.

With long runtime comes another issue - SD card space. I also use battery that I charge myself but I have to check my vehicle every day or two otherwise it would overwrite the recording.
Now you can use a 4TB SSD with the A329. lol

Back