VIOFO Improvement Wish List 2023

After I talked with the engineer, they thought it is better to use the 12.4V option.
We will make some customized hardwire kits.

Personally, I thought a 32GB card is not enough, better to choose 128GB card for a 4K dash cam, 2 channels, 3 channels dash cam, etc.

Recently I bought an Insta 360 Go 3 action cam, they have 3 options, standard version 32GB, and other options 64GB, 128 GB.
I didn't check the spec carefully, I thought 32GB version is OK for me, as I have too many memory cards, and the 64GB version is $30 dollars more than the 32GB version.
When I received the camera I found it uses built-in memory, no chance to replace the capacity. I regret this buy.

After I talked with the engineer, they thought it is better to use the 12.4V option.
We will make some customized hardwire kits.
Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to testing it.
Does that mean the 12.4V selection will disable all low voltage protection to allow the dash cam battery pack to be completely drained?
Please send me two units, just in case one is defective. lol
-Chuck

Voltage Cut-off .png

Some users may know we released a special version of A129 Plus which supports built-in 16gb eMMC.
Even we plan to release a 64GB, 128GB version, so users don't need to buy the memory card.
But we are afraid of the higher retail cost, and after-sales.
If the eMMC failed, the user has to return the camera for a replacement.
So finally we only use the eMMC for backup recording, if no memory card is inserted or failed, it can use the eMMC for temporary recording.
I don't know why this eMMC version didn't sell well, we stopped production soon for this version.

Another Chinese brand called DDPai mainly uses the eMMC instead of the memory card slot, but I heard there are still some users reported the eMMC corrupted.

Personally, I thought a 32GB card is not enough, better to choose 128GB card for a 4K dash cam, 2 channels, 3 channels dash cam, etc.
I noticed today the Viofo SD Cards are now available on Amazon US with lower pricing than the Viofo official website.
Thanks for making those available again.
They were “missing” for some time.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 8.02.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-17 8.04.15 PM.png

Another Chinese brand called DDPai mainly uses the eMMC instead of the memory card slot, but I heard there are still some users reported the eMMC corrupted.
I’m familiar with the DDPAI Mini 5 that uses eMMC memory.
They sent me one for test & review November 2021.
It actually had acceptable image quality, especially at night.
Sony Starvis IMX415
HISILICON 3559 V200
(3840 x 2160) @30fps
140° FOV
Built-in eMMC Memory 64GB (no SD Card)
H.254 and H.265 Codec

During my testing I discovered the H.265 Codec does not work.
It did not extend recording time beyond the H.264 setting.
It could only record for 3 hours since it was 4K30fps.

The problem in the UK is due to a couple of reasons.

All the dashcam reviews I see never include Viofo. They mainly concentrate on Nextbase and Garmin and a couple of unknown brands. Nextbase always wins and it's no wonder they are the most popular, also because Nextbase seem to be the only brand Halfords sells.

Then you get Halfords performing the install with no regard to choosing a suitable fuse and allowing the buyer to opt for another unsuitable SDCard, often a cheap SanDisk, when compared to the Nextbase cards at 3 or 4 times the price.

Then we see the numerous problem reports here which are often linked to an unsuitable card or bad wiring.

My suggestion to Viofo would be to make Halfords, Auto Express and the Which? magazine, etc aware of their existence.

Does that mean the 12.4V selection will disable all low voltage protection to allow the dash cam battery pack to be completely drained?
I think it should turn off before the DC-DC converter stops working, so that it then only turns on again properly when the ACC is turned back on, otherwise it may keep turning on and off as the battery voltage bounces around the minimum DC-DC converter voltage and that is likely to cause problems. 11.0V cutoff will solve your problem and everything will still work properly, Maybe 10.8V.

3. The voice commands are fixed content, even just customize one command, the cost is very expensive.
If its not possible to add the Guard Phrase “OK Viofo” before speaking a command, can you remove the voice command: “VIDEO STOP”?
I can see this as a potential problem.
I’m constantly hearing from my ex-wife;
“STOP THAT!”
“STOP THE CAR LET ME OUT!”
“STOP LOOKING AT THOSE COLLEGE GIRLS!”
I don’t want her to inadvertently stop my dash cam from recording.
-Chuck

Since @viofo is actively participating in the improvements thread, can you guys confirm that in the latest Hk4 hardwire kit the power lines are wired with 20AWG? The cable says it's 20awg + 24awg, which I'm really hoping 20awg is for power lines and 24 for acc signal.

I know I've given you some hard feedback with the faulty hk3 kits, but if you guys also got the wiring fixed, that would be golden! I'm currently testing HK4 but have not sliced it open yet.

Since @viofo is actively participating in the improvements thread, can you guys confirm that in the latest Hk4 hardwire kit the power lines are wired with 20AWG? The cable says it's 20awg + 24awg, which I'm really hoping 20awg is for power lines and 24 for acc signal.

I know I've given you some hard feedback with the faulty hk3 kits, but if you guys also got the wiring fixed, that would be golden! I'm currently testing HK4 but have not sliced it open yet.
Yes, the output end cables are the same as you mentioned, the BAT(Red) and Ground(Black) cables are 20AWG, ACC yellow cable is 24AWG.

I noticed today the Viofo SD Cards are now available on Amazon US with lower pricing than the Viofo official website.
Thanks for making those available again.
They were “missing” for some time.
You don't know what happened why it is not available recently. :)
That's why I say there is a big risk in selling the dashcam with memory cards on Amazon.

That's why I say there is a big risk in selling the dashcam with memory cards on Amazon.
I still don't understand what you mean by this.
How does BlackVue & Thinkware sell include Branded SD Cards with all their cameras on Amazon?
Screenshot 2023-07-19 1.50.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 1.50.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 1.51.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 1.51.48 AM.png

How does BlackVue & Thinkware sell include Branded SD Cards with all their cameras on Amazon?
Thinkware is a member of the SD Association, they make the rules...
Don't know about Blackvue, but I'm not sure their cards follow the rules anyway!

Thinkware is a member of the SD Association, they make the rules...
I do not understand what this means.
All these brands sell their dash cams on Amazon with their own branded SD Cards.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 2.59.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 3.00.32 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 3.05.47 AM.png

Dear @viofo

I looked up all the manufacturers that are members of the SD Association;
There are are only two dash cam manufacturers that are members, (Thinkware, and Rexing).
1.) Why are you not a member of the SD Association?
2.) Do you have plans to join the SD Association?

Screenshot 2023-07-19 3.28.51 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-19 3.26.00 AM.png

Dear @viofo

I looked up all the manufacturers that are members of the SD Association;
There are are only two dash cam manufacturers that are members, (Thinkware, and Rexing).
1.) Why are you not a member of the SD Association?
2.) Do you have plans to join the SD Association?
We have joined the SD Association, but actually not necessary to join this association to sell the branded card.
I don't want to discuss this more in detail.

I'm very new to dashcams but I like that I can buy just a simple dashcam 119v3 with very minimum accessory. I can buy the SD card separately. I don't need the hard-wire kit. Keep the price down and I get exactly what I want.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I guess this is for viofo to figure out.

I'm very new to dashcams but I like that I can buy just a simple dashcam 119v3 with very minimum accessory. I can buy the SD card separately. I don't need the hard-wire kit. Keep the price down and I get exactly what I want.
Correct.
However Viofo's current advertising is misleading in terms of parking mode functionality.
The hardwire kit is required to fully, and reliably enable parking mode.
This causes frustration for first time buyers.
It makes them upset to learn they need to spend another $18 to use the features they thought were included and should work right out of the box.

Correct.
However Viofo's current advertising is misleading in terms of parking mode functionality.
The hardwire kit is required to fully, and reliably enable parking mode.
This causes frustration for first time buyers.
It makes them upset to learn they need to spend another $18 to use the features they thought were included and should work right out of the box.
Actually, we have written clearly in our description about the requirement for hardwire kit to use the parking mode, even have mentioned it more than twice. We can totally understand your worries that some customers will not or have no patience to read the description carefully, then may be misled by the titles. Your suggestion is highly appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

Back