VIOFO Improvement Wish List 2023

I'm very new to dashcams but I like that I can buy just a simple dashcam 119v3 with very minimum accessory. I can buy the SD card separately. I don't need the hard-wire kit. Keep the price down and I get exactly what I want.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I guess this is for viofo to figure out.
Same here. As an economics and statistics major with a masters in business analytics, I agree keeping the price down key

For example, I bought the A119 Mini 2 for $120 on Amazon. Then I bought the HK4 for $18, a 128gb “viofo recommended” microsd card for $15, and fuse taps for $10

In the end my total came out to be $163

Had this all been bundled together for say idk $150 I would have been a lot more hesitant to buy since the price is higher up front (even though a $150 price is cheaper than what I ended up paying). Additionally, a good percentage of buyers would have been put off by the higher bundled price and never bought the camera in the first place. The illusion of a lower initial price point is powerful.

Yeah sure you solve the problem of a few people having bought the wrong sd card or finding out you need a HK4 for parking mode, but Viofo loses money on the bundle and loses customers that are put off by the higher initial buy-in price.

My only recommendation to Viofo would be to include a paper card in the box stating “Hi these are the MicroSD cards we recommend that work the best with our cameras” (with a picture of the sd cards shown). Maybe also put a disclaimer somewhere on that card that states “these recommendations are also subject to change as companies update their offerings. Please check our website for the most up to date recommendations”. But that’s up to Viofo if they want to implement something like that.

Correct.
However Viofo's current advertising is misleading in terms of parking mode functionality.
The hardwire kit is required to fully, and reliably enable parking mode.
This causes frustration for first time buyers.
It makes them upset to learn they need to spend another $18 to use the features they thought were included and should work right out of the box.
In my opinion, the reluctance to read and collect information is the problem of the buyer, not the manufacturer.
Not all buyers need a parking mode like HK4 and fuse taps. The only thing 99% of buyers need is a CPL filter.
People who do not know buy without it and then they need to re-order it and sometimes pay for re-delivery.

we have written clearly in our description about the requirement for hardwire kit to use the parking mode
Yes, but in very small print at the very bottom of the item description.
Buffer Parking Mode .png
Read The Fine Print .png

But on the other side I'd be upset to have included and pay for a HWK that I already have.
What if the Hardwire Kit is an upgraded version?
Just like the current ones being sent out.
They are made from 20AWG+24AWG wires.
The old ones were 24AWG.
The reason they upgraded all hardwire kits to thicker wires is due to the high power consumption of the A139 Pro.
The old hardwire kits were only capable of delivering 11.5 Watts.
The new Hardwire kits deliver 17.5 Watts.
Using an A139 Pro with the old hardwire kit may cause power starvation malfunctions.
Here is my post measuring the difference;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a139-pro-test-review-pp.48049/post-595941

Your suggestion is highly appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
What can you do about fixing this;

I'm very new to dashcams but I like that I can buy just a simple dashcam 119v3 with very minimum accessory. I can buy the SD card separately. I don't need the hard-wire kit. Keep the price down and I get exactly what I want.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I guess this is for viofo to figure out.
I think you are actually in the majority, there needs to be a choice.

A lot of people buy a new camera and continue to use their old memory cards, they don't want to spend more and get a card that is smaller than their current one and which is not from their favourite brand. Of course that can cause some problems, old cards can be worn out, slowing down or old technology, but it is what many people want.

I would like Viofo to restore WDR option in addition to the current HDR. Viofo had WDR earlier. With firmware updates, Viofo has replaced WDR with HDR. HDR is only good for stationary objects. HDR creates blur images of moving objects, especially during high speed.

With firmware updates, Viofo has replaced WDR with HDR. HDR is only good for stationary objects. HDR creates blur images of moving objects, especially during high speed.
You probably haven't seen how HDR works at speed.
If the car number is known, then the rest is easy to find out.
WDR will be useless.

Attachments

• 113+км.ч.MP4_snapshot_02.48_[2020.12.09_21.46.19].png
    113+км.ч.MP4_snapshot_02.48_[2020.12.09_21.46.19].png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 21586371.jpg
    21586371.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
HDR uses multiple images recorded from different moments and combines them together as they coming from the same moment. This extends DVR’s dynamic range. At the same time, it also creates blur images for moving objects. It is a double-edged sword. Have a look at this Viofo link. HDR solves one thing but creates another issue. WDR does not create blur images, even though it is not as good as HDR in terms of expanding dynamic range.

I have seen the images from some HDR fans showing how good it is for them.

All I can add is that I've tried almost every firmware from 2.0 and not one has produced sharper static images for me than 1.03.

This is on both my V3's, one from very early after release and another recent one once I realised the Mini has a USBC connection but I want to retain my 2 wire HWK.

Each of us will use whatever they are happy with.

Available Recording Time in APP @viofo @VIOFO-Support

One of my favorite “features” of Viofo dash cams is the ability to display the Available Recording Time in the top right corner of the LCD Screen.
This simplifies figuring how much recording time an SD Card will provide.
This is helpful to consumers deciding what capacity SD Card to purchase.
This simplifies figuring how different settings change available recording time like;
Resolution
Bitrate
fps
HDR on/off
Parking Mode
Etc.

Screen-less models like the A139 Pro & WM1 have omitted Available Recording Time in the smartphone APP.
It’s nice we have “Free Space on Card” but it’s not as helpful as Available Recording Time.
I would like to request Available Recording Time be added to the APP for all Viofo dash cams.

Attachments

• A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 11
  • A139 Pro .jpg
    A139 Pro .jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • A229 .jpg
    A229 .jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 11
Available Recording Time in APP @viofo @VIOFO-Support

One of my favorite “features” of Viofo dash cams is the ability to display the Available Recording Time in the top right corner of the LCD Screen.
This simplifies figuring how much recording time an SD Card will provide.
This is helpful to consumers deciding what capacity SD Card to purchase.
This simplifies figuring how different settings change available recording time like;
Resolution
Bitrate
fps
HDR on/off
Parking Mode
Etc.

Screen-less models like the A139 Pro & WM1 have omitted Available Recording Time in the smartphone APP.
It’s nice we have “Free Space on Card” but it’s not as helpful as Available Recording Time.
I would like to request Available Recording Time be added to the APP for all Viofo dash cams.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. We will confirm with the engineers if this feature can be added to the app. Actually, the data of free space on the card is more accurate than the recording time shown on the screen. If you have set loop recording, the old files will be overwritten if the card is becoming full. The recording time will never change to 0. Additionally, it also will be influenced by the bitrate or resolutions you set. Confirming the left space will be more helpful to decide when to format the card.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. We will confirm with the engineers if this feature can be added to the app. Actually, the data of free space on the card is more accurate than the recording time shown on the screen. If you have set loop recording, the old files will be overwritten if the card is becoming full. The recording time will never change to 0. Additionally, it also will be influenced by the bitrate or resolutions you set. Confirming the left space will be more helpful to decide when to format the card.
I've come to accept all my requests range from "difficult to impossible" and will most likely result in no change.
I thought I would document them anyway so I at least have a record for later reference. lol

I've come to accept all my requests range from "difficult to impossible" and will most likely result in no change.
I thought I would document them anyway so I at least have a record for later reference. lol
We will give you an exact reply once we get a confirmation. Your suggestions are highly appreciated!

@viofo @VIOFO-Support

A119 mini 2 video quality setting order is incorrect in the application. When you select high quality from camera, low quality will appear in the app.

The a119 mini 2 volume level should be lowered one level for each option. that is, in the current voice; low level corresponds to medium level.
Also, when you want to watch the recorded videos on the camera, the volume gets louder and the crackling starts.

It is necessary to clarify whether the a119 mini 2 has a focus problem or a software situation. users see blur on the left, including me.

I like the a119 mini 2 voice command. but I didn't like that the video stops and restarts when wifi is on. When wifi is turned on in a229, recording does not stop, it continues. In order to increase the quality of the voice command on the a119 mini 2, it would be good if the video continues without stopping after the wifi on command. Can you do this? thanks..

Last edited:
Can you do this?
Yo Ogz,

This thread “section” is to request improvements & fixes that apply to ALL Viofo dash cams.
Since your requests ONLY apply to the A119 Mini 2, please make your request in the A119 Mini 2 “section”.
-Chuck

Yo Ogz,

This thread “section” is to request improvements & fixes that apply to ALL Viofo dash cams.
Since your requests ONLY apply to the A119 Mini 2, please make your request in the A119 Mini 2 “section”.
-Chuck
I am aware. you are right.
As a matter of fact, the a119 mini 2 also has a voice command feature, and I added it to the item as an idea for the cameras that will be produced later. so when you turn on wifi on a229, the recording doesn't stop. If there is a voice command in new models, it is recommended to be active without stopping the recording when the wifi command is voiced.

for example the volume should be on all cameras and have standard levels. so the low level should be the same caliber in every camera.

Back