Viofo, let’s go! A229 Pro 3-Channel Dash Camera review (+ Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro shoot-out!)

Thanks for the terrific review @Augie! (y)

I may have missed it, apologies if so... but is there a CPL filter for the A229 Pro's rear camera? It looks like that would help cut down on reflections. TIA!

Once work gets out of my way, I'll get around to a more detailed comparison between the A229 Pro and the Nexus 4 Pro and how they cope with the Australian summer.

But so far we're in the middle of a heatwave here, the last four days have been 38 degrees Celsius or above, and the Viofo has been constantly rebooting itself while the Vantrue hasn't.

Thanks for the terrific review @Augie! (y)

I may have missed it, apologies if so... but is there a CPL filter for the A229 Pro's rear camera? It looks like that would help cut down on reflections. TIA!
If you really need this, you can contact our support team to get one, other users received this simple CPL and are satisfied.
cpl.png

Daum 38 C

In the weekend and the next week we Danes will see sub 0 temperatures, that is enough for me contemplating the way too long flight to AU.
Well at least in a tourist seat, #1 class and i would be heading for the airport now with just the clothe i wear.
Damn lotto gods need to get their finger out.

Daum 38 C

In the weekend and the next week we Danes will see sub 0 temperatures, that is enough for me contemplating the way too long flight to AU.
Well at least in a tourist seat, #1 class and i would be heading for the airport now with just the clothe i wear.
Damn lotto gods need to get their finger out.
And me vice versa I'd rather go there haha. I was just in first class last week from Doha back to my home here, thanks to the power of points. Ah, bliss :)

Apologies if this has already been posted, but the full video has gone up from our mate Bill at @viofo @VIOFO-Support . Comparing the Insta360 Ace Pro against the Viofo A229 Pro.

My observations is that the Viofo does well here, trees look mushy in the Insta360 footage and overall, objects just aren't as sharp as in the Viofo footage. Somewhat hazy overall for the Insta360.

Last edited:

Viofo A229 Pro Firmware Update
  • Version: V1.1_231208 (front), V1.0_231207 (rear)
  • File size: 63.13M (front), 4.44MB (rear)

Changelog (front):
  • Optimised: image quality for front cam and rear cam
  • Added: support exFAT file format
  • Added: camera will give warning and default to turning off when overheating (internal temperature of 112 degrees Celsius or higher)
  • Fixed: Bluetooth connection
  • Other bugs fixed

Changelog (rear):
  • Fixed: rotate and exposure settings cannot be kept after powering off
  • IQ updated
  • Other bugs fixed

@viofo @VIOFO-Support

Last edited:
No rebooting on the latest December firmware, but it did display the a prompt that the camera was going to turn off to prevent overheating. Previous behaviour was that the camera would reboot, and attempt to turn itself back on after an additional 20-30 seconds.

This was with an outside temperature of 32 degrees Celsius. Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro carried through with no issues.

Still no return of the usual heatwaves we have here, but will have more information to post then.

Last edited:
Further Update: confirmed by @viofo that the new default behaviour for the A229 Pro is to now turn off when overheating, not rebooting. This was added in the latest public-facing December firmware, i have added this to the changelog above.

The message will display: "The camera will turn off to prevent overheating". This will be triggered when the internal chipset temperature of the camera reaches 112 degrees Celsius. This is to prevent damage to the camera itself from excessive heat exposure.

So this has been bought forward, as the cameras have been exhibiting differing behaviours in these Australian summer heat conditions. I do not possess a thermal imaging gun, so I am aware this is not the most scientific method of temperature testing, but does give a rough idea of what is going on. @viofo @VIOFO-Support

Heat Testing: Viofo A229 Pro vs. Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro

Have pitched the Viofo A229 Pro against the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro to see how they cope with the Australian summer heat. In my testing, they are both recording in three-channel mode at maximum resolution (4K, 2.5K, 1080p), but due to the increased rear camera resolution, the Viofo is immediately at a disadvantage. Please keep this in mind as the Viofo is pushing higher bitrates than the Viofo, thus contributing to more heat inside the dashcam shell and electronic components.

In all instances, the ambient car cabin temperatures (with air-conditioning set to lowest setting without car driver/passengers feeling hot) is 26 degrees Celsius. Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro installed to left of rear-view mirror, Viofo A229 Pro installed to right of rear-view mirror

14th December 2023:

Scenario: parked in stationary car mid-afternoon for approximately 30 minutes directly facing sun
Exhibited behaviour: Viofo displayed shut-down message to prevent overheating, Vantrue remained recording and did not reboot

Outside stated weather bureau temperature: 27.1 degrees Celsius
Dashboard recorded temperature: 44.1 degrees Celsius

Viofo (top of camera above LCD display): 79 degrees Celsius
Viofo (LCD screen itself): 73 degrees Celsius
Viofo (side ventilation grilles at bottom of dash cam): 57 degrees Celsius

Vantrue (side where logo is): 65 degrees Celsius
Vantrue (LCD screen itself): 65 degrees Celsius
Vantrue (bottom where buttons and ventilation grilles exist): 85 degrees Celsius

IMG_20231214_160145.jpg
IMG_20231214_160315.jpg

Last edited:
This would be very unfortunate if the A229 Pro can't keep up with the N4 Pro.
My N4 Pro performed without any issues in the hot summer. Even on a trip to Italy where it was even hotter and the car was parked in the direct sun, it kept recording.
Maybe someone else who got the A229 Pro and lives in a hot climate can verify these findings.
With the different Viofo cams I have/had, I never got a heat-related shutdown. Not even with parking mode in the direct sun. (A139, T130, A229)

现在期待已久的*请敲鼓* @Panzer Platform @viofo @VIOFO-Support

Viofo A229 Pro VS Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro 枪战!

由于所有摄像机的 3-CH @ 最大比特率以及 1-CH @ 最大比特率都经过了测试,因此请注意观看太多视频。请随意对 Viofo 前置 Sony Starvis 2 IMX678、车内 Starvis IMX307 摄像头和后置 Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 的性能做出自己的结论。不幸的是,后置摄像头的比较有点奇怪,因为 Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro 中的 RC-05 单元存在对焦问题。

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------
固件 (测试时均为最新版本):
Viofo - V1.0_230928
万图-VT-ECH121

声音的
Viofo - 63kbps,1 通道单声道,16kHz
Vantrue - 63kbps,1 通道单声道,16kHz

我的想法(2023 年 10 月 13 日更新):

Viofo 在各方面都击败了 Vantrue,我认为这并不令人意外。此外,无论 HDR 如何,Vantrue 的图像处理似乎呈现出更令人愉悦的调色板 - 天空非常蓝。这并不代表行车记录仪本身捕获的场景的真实性质,因此,虽然我知道有些人可能更喜欢这一点,但我个人更看重准确性和细节。在 1 通道模式下,我注意到 Viofo 拾取道路另一侧汽车的车牌比 Vantrue 稍好一些。另外,Vantrue 夜间的运动模糊明显比 Viofo 差 - 起初我以为这是由于 Viofo 录音比特率增加所致,但现在我相信这是因为 Viofo 进行了更好的优化。

当谈到 3 通道模式和车内录像时,这两个行车记录仪在白天录像方面没有太大区别,但 Viofo 在夜间明显领先。Vantrue 的镜头有些“模糊”,并且还受到红外 LED 反射的影响,而这种情况根本不应该发生。转向前置摄像头的白天镜头,两者的比特率相当,但在这种情况下,诸如草坪和汽车等物体在 Viofo 上表现得更好。有些人会称之为过度锐化,但这对 Viofo 有利,因为这样可以更好地显示车牌和汽车本身的细节。这再次延伸到 A229 Pro 的白天和晚上的镜头中的运动模糊更少。Vantrue 也没有

很难从后行车记录仪的镜头中得出明确的结论,因为 Vantrue 往往会受到焦点问题的困扰(正如一些人在 DashCamTalk 上报道的那样,RC-04 装置也出现在 S1 Pro 中)。因此,我只能猜测和推断我之前分别对 Viofo 和 Vantrues 性能所做的观察。在夜间拍摄时,Vantrue 的色彩平衡也倾向于呈现淡黄色调,这使得汽车和车牌细节的读取变得更加困难。

总的来说,这并不是说 Vantrue 是一款糟糕的行车记录仪。只是 Viofo 做得更好,仅此而已。

[媒体=youtube]QPYuEj2OxsY[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]PKLStzhvl5c[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]D3wcG7Zq3Bo[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]CcFK1mcZXK0[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]yupyA9ggRk0[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]XpEztOzG5BQ[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]Ttaysv5rNAI[/媒体]

[媒体=youtube]bGAIot_q3zc[/媒体]
您的结论很正确!我以前用过vantrue n4(not n4pro),晚上效果非常不理想,内部摄像受LED反射影响,有点发白和模糊,看来n4pro改进不大啊

我对 viofo 唯一的抱怨是它太大了。我希望他们能推出像 DDPAI mini 5 或 Blackvue 这样的行车记录仪,它具有 Viofo 众所周知的所有强大功能,但没有附加屏幕和按钮。
时尚简约的东西。
@viofo:)
我认为viofo最应该添加的功能是ADAS

Would this be a better option over the Vantrue N5 that has 4 cameras?

Pokud to opravdu potřebujete, můžete se obrátit na náš tým podpory a získat jeden, ostatní uživatelé dostali toto jednoduché CPL a jsou spokojeni.
View attachment 69310
Can you post some details or a link to the product ?? Delivery to Europe ?

我得到了统一费率洗车,100丹麦克朗一个月,我可以洗我的车,因为我喜欢一天多次,有时我做2运行只是因为我可以。
通常一次小型洗车将花费你69丹麦克朗,所以我认为这是一个该死的好交易,我有,我得到了优质的洗车
Wash the car here for 30RMB per time,It's half of you

My post was a little mistaken i pay 149 DKkr for my flat rate car wash.

So that is 156 CN¥ a month, and then if i wanted to i could wash my car 10 times every day
Of course no one would do that, but in the summer time i will often wash my car 2 times every day, even if the car wash are quite hot in summer.
In winter and not least like now when they use salt on the roads i wash my car every day.

Last edited:
Back