Viofo Pre-production A119 comparision ( Thailand)

CDNinHH

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
A118C MG600G (JooVuuX returned)A119 Shadow 1S
Ok, finally found a bit of time to check out the sample I received from Viofo.

First I want to say that I'm only a consumer, not an expert such as MTZ or Jokiin on dashcams, so my observations are from that perspective.

I have the A119, A118C and a Shadow 1S all mounted in the car at this time. I also have a Matego Blazer ( Mg600G) mounted as a rear view camera.

Some quick observations comparing the 3 front cameras:

Motion detect:

A118C: Poor, you need to virtually wave your hand in front of the lens to activate.

A119: A bit better than the 118, but still seems to be not very sensitive, it did occasionally activate as I walked directly in front of the cars bumper. It then stays recording for 59 secs if there is no further movement.

Shadow 1S: It's motion detect is too sensitive, seems to be activate very easily and then records for 12-15 secs only if no motion detected.

Now some night observations:

A118C : as we know is very poor

A119: I am finding that I have numerous hot pixels shown against the black sky, but the quality is pretty good.

Shadow 1S: This is the model that has the low light mode that physically changes a lens filter when it detects low light, you can hear it clicking when it switches modes on the audio track. When in low light mode the video is in black and white.

EDIT: as mentioned by another sampler, if you have the beep function enabled then whenever the camera is NOT recording, the REC led flashes and the camera beeps....very annoying if you have motion detected enabled as whenever there is no motion detected it emits a constant series of beeps. The only fix is to disable beeps. This needs to be addressed in the next firmware.

IMG_1727.JPG

Here are some screen shots:
A119-1.MP4 .jpeg1S-1.MP4 .jpeg 1s-2.MP4 .jpeg A119-2.MP4 .jpegA119-3.MP4 .jpeg 1S-3.MP4 .jpeg A119-4.MP4 .jpeg1s-5.MP4 .jpeg

Attachments

• 1s-5.MP4 .jpeg
    1s-5.MP4 .jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
We will release firmware soon, reduce the blue, and disable the beep while in motion detection.

We will release firmware soon, reduce the blue, and disable the beep while in motion detection.
I like having one or two beeps to let me know it did lock the file, but 10 (with one every 2 seconds) is a bit much. And then a few seconds later it beeps more as it starts a new file. That last one can safely be removed, but I would like at least one or two beeps to stay for when you manually press the lock button or if the g-sensor registers something.

but I would like at least one or two beeps to stay for when you manually press the lock button or if the g-sensor registers something.

I have no problem with beeps when you press a button, what I don't like is the constant beeping when you are using motion detect and the camera is not recording because of no motion. In that case the rapidly flashing LED is fine for me.

Here is a short night video. The Youtube compression does not show the hot pixels, but it does show the green tones. I have added a link to the raw video, there the hot pixels are quite noticeable. The radio was on quite low and the aircon fan was on high (34 degrees OAT!) so that is what you hear on the audio.

https://mega.nz/#!VBtnGKQa!ijsMmJuuImeBmkmtknLwhUY4fbCVi1BOQXW8arG-jpY

This is a good example of the ability of the sensor/processor to handle large changes in lighting. Again, I'm no expert and I'm sure jokiin and MTZ will be able to critique this far better than me, but I think it is doing a pretty good job. I think the focus/sharpness of the video might be be lacking a tad though.

I was hoping for songkran videos. (Big holiday that just finished in thailand) :)

Just tested the new firmware at night...I don't see any change, still hot pixels and green tones.

Very happy with the changes to the FW in regards the beep with motion detection on and the motion sensitivity. Those 2 issues are fine for me now.

To recap:

Change log:
1. Disable the beep in motion detection Checked all ok now
2. Improved the motion detection sensitivity Much better now, just the right amount in my opinion
3. Updated the IQ, reduce the blue color in video Better blue tones, although the video is not a sharp now in my opinion
4. Support hot pixel fixing under engineer mode(engmode) No change for me, still has hot pixels at night
5. Improved bitrate for 1080P, 1440P, 1296P mode; No comment, although 60FPS is disabled now

Future change requests:

ability to vary the amount of time the motion detect stays recording after detecting motion.

Very happy with the changes to the FW in regards the beep with motion detection on and the motion sensitivity. Those 2 issues are fine for me now.

To recap:

4. Support hot pixel fixing under engineer mode(engmode) No change for me, still has hot pixels at night

Did you recalibrate it?

Thanks, found the Youtube guide...will give that a try.

Here are 2 stills from today Shadow 1s and Viofo pre-production A119. Obviously the FOV and frame is different but the A119 is superior in my opinion and this is a beta test model.

2016_0517_121621_617.MP4 - 20 second.jpeg 05171214_7796.MP4 - 177 second.jpeg

Here are 2 stills from today Shadow 1s and Viofo pre-production A119. Obviously the FOV and frame is different but the A119 is superior in my opinion and this is a beta test model.

View attachment 23152 View attachment 23153
yeah the shadow seems to favor yellow and purple tones while the a119 looks very natural. and sharper.

Back