Viofo T130 3 Channel Dashcam - 2K Front + FHD Interior + FHD Rear

IMHO if you're beta-testing or reliability testing for a manufacturer, then you should use the supplied accessories as that is what most of their customers are going to do. We should be testing the whole system, not just the cams ;)

On PS's and HWK's these tend to either work or not work, so a short testing period is usually sufficient to prove them. As I usually have many cams in testing and have already ran numerous cables from strong PS's to the area, that is my usual approach :cool: With HWK's under test I go through the trouble of yet again pulling the moldings to run them neatly, but I'm considering alternative routings as it's becoming somewhat tiresome to keep doing that :whistle: Luckily I already have a HWK-C in place already to save me that hassle :LOL:

Phil

Just received mine and here are some unboxing photos + accessories. Will probably install and start trying this weekend. Can probably just stick on windshield for now and start testing, just not as neat/clean as I would want haha

lxd5uMx.jpg

CpsWRLq.jpg

vqsxmh7.jpg

WLAiupH.jpg

h0yAsA6.jpg

zE5idok.jpg

aDVHOjc.jpg

wGUvk9r.jpg

Is there a firmware?
Interesting to see !!
Is there a CPL filter?
The viewing angle is very small !!

Last edited:
For reasons unknown my accessories were shipped separately, but I now have the main unit installed and we will do it's first drive in about one hour :)

Phil

(ADDING) Accessories should be waiting at my shipping address- will pick up shortly :)

Last edited:
I notice the T130 box just says 'Sony Image Sensors' - no mention of Omnivision.

The Bluetooth remote box still says A129 on it, even though it is compatible with A139 and T130.

I notice the T130 box just says 'Sony Image Sensors' - no mention of Omnivision.
Mine does, in the features list...

The Bluetooth remote box still says A129 on it, even though it is compatible with A139 and T130.
Maybe they are giving away the old ones!

I was only looking at the image above of the front of the box.
Ahh, well it does have Sony Image Sensors, for front and back, and that is a key feature for the front of the box.

Maybe Omnivision are not famous enough to go on the front? Mentioning the IR is more important, and you don't want too many words for the icons...

Viofo T130 3 Channel Dashcam - 2K Front + FHD Interior + FHD Rear
Midrange 3 channel 2K dashcam / taxicam with easily rotatable interior lens allowing it to monitor the driver's door window.

Early production samples of this camera are being sent out over the next few weeks, so use this thread to share your experiences and post sample videos/images...

Overview
This is Viofo's second 3 channel camera after the very nice A139. The hardware and firmware are in many ways similar to the A139 but with some significant differences, the main one being that the interior lens is built into the main/front camera unit so that there is only one item to install on the windscreen, also the interior lens angle can easily be adjusted to point at the driver's door for when you want to record conversations with people at the window. It has a horizontal cylindrical shape rather than Viofo's traditional wedge shape, and like the A139 uses voice/phone app instead of an LCD screen.

Specifications:
Front image sensor - 2K (1440) Sony Starvis IMX335
Rear image sensor - FHD (1080) Sony Starvis IMX307
Interior image sensor - FHD (1080) Omnivision Nyxel with infrared technology.
What is the technical difference between IMX291 and IMX307?
And is this difference noticeable visually when comparing videos and images of both rear cams(A139/T140)?
Hope someone will be able to post video/picture samples of both rear cams side by side.

Will there be a 2CH(front/rear I mean, not front/interior) version of this dashcam?
How likely is it that this will be the new 3CH dashcam from Viofo going forward(assuming the 3CH A139 will be discontinued at some point) since this is mainly the same specifications with a few cost saving measures thrown in as you directly pointed out and will likely fit in the same price range as the current A139?

front & interioe are buld together so cam not be separated into front ? rear and no interior.

How likely is it that this will be the new 3CH dashcam from Viofo going forward(assuming the 3CH A139 will be discontinued at some point)
Unlikely, given the different form factors. I expect Viofo to run with both models at the same time.

And is this difference noticeable visually when comparing videos and images of both rear cams(A139/T140)?
Hope someone will be able to post video/picture samples of both rear cams side by side.
There is little difference between IMX291 and IMX307. I plan to test them side by side, although I expect someone else will do it first.

IMX 307 is the latest generation, IMX291 is the previous generation, however it is also a more expensive sensor, a bit bigger with larger pixels that collect more light, so for very dark the IMX291 probably does better, but under streetlights the IMX307 works fine and tends to give a cleaner image.

A lot depends on how the cameras use the sensors though, so not really possible to say which is best without a side by side comparison, and even then it will be a close competition, possibly one will win, or maybe one will win in certain lighting conditions and the other in other lighting conditions. The actual rear cameras are similar design on A139 and T140, so there is no reason to choose one over the other for fitting or whatever, just the cable thickness and since the firmware has been having adjustments made, I'm not sure my testing so far will have been valid for the production cameras/firmware, so I'm not going to declare which is the best rear camera, just that they are both good. Someone will post images, hopefully comparing in several different lighting situations.

Will there be a 2CH(front/rear I mean, not front/interior) version of this dashcam?
Not sure about a 2ch version, it is quite feasible for Viofo to remove the interior lens, and thus make it a bit smaller, but obviously it will require new moulds for the case and it wouldn't require so much processing power so a cheaper processor could be used, so basically it would be a lot of work. I suspect that if the 3ch sells well and people like the design then Viofo may consider it, but it is probably not imminent. A 2ch without the rear seems more likely, might not read many plates behind but an interior camera can be very useful for showing who was at fault in a rear collision.

How likely is it that this will be the new 3CH dashcam from Viofo going forward(assuming the 3CH A139 will be discontinued at some point) since this is mainly the same specifications with a few cost saving measures thrown in as you directly pointed out and will likely fit in the same price range as the current A139?
This is not a replacement for the A139, the A139 is the superior camera, it has the thin cables, wedge design, external microphone, physical memory card lock etc., designed as a more professional camera, it should be more expensive. Also some people will not like the cylinder design, while others will, so both will sell. The A139 may get an upgrade at some point making the difference even bigger, while I suspect this will keep the current specification for a lot longer.

I think 307 have a bit more dynamic range than the old IMX 291.
The new kid on the block as i understand is the IMX 327, at least thats what i want to see in 1080p cameras.

Much depends on a well-configured software, be it 291 or 307.
Question to Viofo, Will the T130 use HDR?

IMX 307 certainly has a lot more dynamic range than the IMX 323 that it replaces, yes the IMX 327 is the 291 upgrade, but nobody is using it due to the price, we will probably move to 2K instead for better rear quality!

This is definitely an interesting take on the 3 Ch form factor and I would say a clever one. As has been said earlier, with the variation in car design there is no one size fits all for design so offering 2 quite separate form factors could prove a good move for Viofo.
Personally I think it would be difficult for me to get it positioned in an optimised position in my car. If I stuck it on the kafas camera pod it would be about an inch off the screen and pick up a lot of the pod on the left of the video.
Sticking it under the pod would put it behind the rear view mirror.

Also as has been said, it’s not perfect for RHD cars if you want the interior camera to look to the drivers side, I wonder what percentage of camera sales are to RHD customers given that the majority of the world is LHD.

Received today, I made a video about what I consider to be interesting about Viofo T130

enjoy,
Mtz
This particular design really has great potential.

Received today, I made a video about what I consider to be interesting about Viofo T130

enjoy,
Mtz

Like how you point out the easy SD card access. Something nice I've discovered is that in addition to the front cam vertical aim being 'click-adjustable', the lens itself moves up and down slightly so that you can achieve a perfect split between sky and road no matter what angle your windshield is :)

Phil

Back