VIOFO's A129 Duo

Just checking if anyone has off focus on their A129. I've received 3 and all are different image quality.
There are two different lens types for the A129, and there's definitely a noticeable difference between them. I wonder if you have both types. But if all three are uniquely different from each other, that would be weird.

There are two different lens types for the A129, and there's definitely a noticeable difference between them. I wonder if you have both types. But if all three are uniquely different from each other, that would be weird.
That's interesting. How can I find out I have the better version? I ordered one yesterday so I want to check I will get the better version.

That's interesting. How can I find out I have the better version? I ordered one yesterday so I want to check I will get the better version.

Here are the different lenses. You can easily tell which one you have by looking at the thickness of the rim. And its hard to say which one is "better". It depends on what you want. One has a larger field of view but it also has more of a fish eye distortion. I've played around with both lens types and personally, I prefer lens one.

Attachments

• DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
    DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
    155 KB · Views: 38
Here are the different lenses. You can easily tell which one you have by looking at the thickness of the rim. And its hard to say which one is "better". It depends on what you want. One has a larger field of view but it also has more of a fish eye distortion. I've played around with both lens types and personally, I prefer lens one.
I don't care about the fish eye distortion. I am interested in details and licence plate readablility. I know larger FOV means smaller zoom i.e. everythink is smaller. But it can capture larger area which is good. If it is not less sharp, I would prefer the larger FOV. But I am worried about the night visibility. Is there a night video with WDR on. Just to check how it looks.

I have WDR off, having that on should help a bit. I agree though, doesn’t look as bright if compared to the A119S, especially what I remember seeing from the A119S's early firmwares.
I can see from a YT comparison this night vision difference between A129 and F800 Pro

Screenshot_31.png

Screenshot_30.png

The difference is significant. F800 Pro is not as sharp but the night vision is awesome. Is it possible that A129 can be close to the F800 Pro when WDR is on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_30.png
    Screenshot_30.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Different cameras with different hardware and tuning will look different. Would be up to the developers to bump up the ISO if they feel it’s needed, it's not like they haven't experimented with it before. I can add a sample with WDR on from the same location in a day or two.
Could you add sample picture during night with WDR on? With no public lightning and with car lights turned on and then off.

A119(S/Pro) beats the F800 in high Value.

Just compare the Price and what you get for.
There is no reason to spent many 100's more.

A119(S/Pro) beats the F800 in high Value.

Just compare the Price and what you get for.
There is no reason to spent many 100's more.
Yes, when it comes to the ration features/price, the A129 Duo beats F800 Pro. I don't compare A119(S/Pro) because it's not dual. I want the best features and I don't compare the price. I want to the best. As a person without any personal experience with dash cam I think the A129 is better cam for my needs. I don't care about the money now.

Where do you go to obtain the choice of Lens on the A129 ? (Lens 1 or Lens 2) ? I looked on Viofo website and on Amazon and the descriptions all show the 140 Degrees Cam. If there are 2 lens out there and you can't make the choice of which one then what is it "luck of the draw" of which one you get when you buy it? or is there a specific seller that's selling the 110 degree cam and I cant find it? anyone know more information on this? Is there a Poll anywhere as to which one is better? newer? and any other differences? etc..... thnaks

Where do you go to obtain the choice of Lens on the A129 ? (Lens 1 or Lens 2) ? I looked on Viofo website and on Amazon and the descriptions all show the 140 Degrees Cam. If there are 2 lens out there and you can't make the choice of which one then what is it "luck of the draw" of which one you get when you buy it? or is there a specific seller that's selling the 110 degree cam and I cant find it? anyone know more information on this? Is there a Poll anywhere as to which one is better? newer? and any other differences? etc..... thnaks
Read this https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129.34258/post-439607

@BCHobbyist describes the difference as different FOV and additional coating on the narrower lens, which causes the darker image. I don't know about any other difference. I prefere wider FOV and brighter image because of the better night vision. I ordered the cam from local seller and I asked them about the two versions. They had no idea so I sent them the image with both lenses and they told me they have both of them and that I can choose which I want.

It seems the off focus is mainly at the centre at a medium distance. Short distance and wide is perfectly fine.

Yes and no change on all 3

You want the best?
Give the A129 a try.

Its an upgradet 119, but with Bluetooth, WIFI and Dual Option.

Sellers probably have a mix of the two lens types. Some sellers may not even know there are two versions as Viofo didn’t inform sellers of the change, which is why the listings have not changed. If buying from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon), then you may get either one as there will be a mix. If buying direct from a seller, you should ask them if they both available if you have a preference.

VIOFO continues to redesign and improve mounting systems, regularly release new firmware with added options, change Lenses without notice, adjust Lens depth of field sometimes too much, and tinker with Parking Mode. Don't get me wrong - CHANGE is good !! The average consumer is overwhelmed with strange terms and specifications simply wanting the BEST Dash Camera for their needs. The A129 Duo box I received displays 140 degree Lens but cameras are new narrower FOV Lens.
My guess is 140 FOV is being phased out and replaced with narrower 135-130 FOV Lens in 2019.

You found the BEST Forum on the Planet to answer all your questions.
A129 Buyers Guide
- do you own small Car with small windshield ?
> yes = select narrow 130 degree Field of View anti-reflective coated Lens to reduce bottom edge distortions producing more realistic view.
> no = select wide angle 140 degree Field of View brighter uncoated Lens to capture slightly wider scene with slight fish-eye effect.
- desire less Dash reflections ?
> yes = select standard size CPL for 130 FOV Lens or new larger beveled CPL for 140+ FOV Lens.
- before ordering ask vendor for Lens options.
- require Parking Mode Protection ?
> yes = select newest 3-wire Hardwire Kit for full Parking Mode support and functionality.
> no = save vehicle battery drain and possibly use 10-20,000 mAh Power Bank and one supported Parking Mode option (to be determined soon).
- require GPS Data on video
> yes = select GPS Mount.
> no = select GPS Mount anyway just to sync the Date and Time but disable GPS Stamp in Menu.

Sellers probably have a mix of the two lens types. Some sellers may not even know there are two versions as Viofo didn’t inform sellers of the change, which is why the listings have not changed. If buying from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon), then you may get either one as there will be a mix. If buying direct from a seller, you should ask them if they both available if you have a preference.
Viofo don't make lenses themselves, so may be using two lens suppliers that provide slightly different lenses. Being dependent on a single supplier can be bad news.

Since the difference between the two lenses seems to be very small, I don't think it is a real issue, they both work well.

Back