VIOFO's A129 Duo

Thanks for posting your A129 videos - they look fine to me. I bought the A129 about a week ago but haven't installed it just yet. Waiting for the hard wire kit to become available.
CPL question, does the CPL for the A119 also fit the A129 front and back cameras without any modifications?
You could use the cigar lighter adaptor until the new hardwire kit is available, still works fine, just without the new version of the parking mode.

The older A119 CPL fitted perfectly but put small dark corners on some of the videos, as you can see above, the new version wont. Not sure how you ensure that you get the new version.

I'm looking for a new dashcam and the Viofo A129 has features that I like. But if I've read everything correctly so far... No hard-wire kit is available to properly enable parking mode, and no CPL is on sale yet either? And the app is incomplete too. Is this correct? Was this product released before it was ready? Would I be buying into a beta test at full price?!
Hi jdct, this hardwire kit will enable the parking mode . Now it will drain your care battery until the built-in protector kicks in when the car battery voltage gets below certain voltage. If you are talking about a different hardwire kit where you will connect the dashcam to 1) directly a accessory fuse where the camera will recognize when you turn on the engine and 2) to a battery so when the car is parked the dashcam will start automatically using the battery and enable the parking mode, this is not yet available. I read somewhere else on DashCamTalk that there is a firmware update needed for that feature to properly function. Your best bet is to go with the hardwire kit available now. I'm very, very skeptical of draining my battery so I will never allow to have a permanent connection to my car battery. When I get me an extra battery pack, I will connect the camera to use it when the car is not running. The reason I'm skeptical about permanent connections is because our 2011 Nissan Quest is draining the battery even without an additional dashcam. My wife had called StateFarm roadside assistance so many times because kids play with the doors, because she drives short distances and the battery is not properly recharged, because kids like to turn on interior lighting etc. etc. etc. The second car is a 2013 Toyota Prius. Although the car engine battery is separated from the hybrid battery, I will not have anything draining my car battery on a hybrid car. I'm too scared to play around with that. Check out this person's post and you can use the current hardwire kit with an additional battery pack to serve your purpose
. He's got 15-20 other links in his description below the video that will help you a great deal with Viofo. He shows the A119 but basically they are the same with A129. I run two sets of A129 currently. Going into my second week.

I'm very, very skeptical of draining my battery so I will never allow to have a permanent connection to my car battery. When I get me an extra battery pack, I will connect the camera to use it when the car is not running.
than you gonna like my setup: there are 3 switches on the top left corner of the picture, 2 on the left are for my 2 cameras, the one on the right is for charging my 2 power banks (bottom left on a picture) during driving. during "parking mode" I power up my cameras from power banks. easy to find the switches by touch without the need to look down during driving. and I drive Juke. :)

IMG_0459a.JPG

Borik, that is some pretty substantial tuning that only Nismo can mimic. I see the shift lever was also replaced. I see you point but how do you switch from power banks to driving mode? Do you need to switch cables. Can you explain the connection between cameras, power banks and car accessories plug? Thanks

Borik, that is some pretty substantial tuning that only Nismo can mimic. I see the shift lever was also replaced. I see you point but how do you switch from power banks to driving mode? Do you need to switch cables. Can you explain the connection between cameras, power banks and car accessories plug? Thanks
the shift lever is original, not the option you can upgrade it with. :)
the switches for cameras are 3-pin 3 position toggle On-Off-On SPDT switch, bought them at a local Auto store for under $6 each.
power source switching: if 2 sources available (the engine running, for example plus a power bank) I move the switch to the top On position to use car's electricity, and down to the On position to use a power bank's power. the middle position is always Off for the camera. I used new 22AWG USB A Male and USB A Female cables (bought on Amazon), cut them to the "required" length and soldered to the switches. from each power source I have a cable soldered to a switch, from a car's electricity the power (red) soldered to the lowest (I think) pin on a switch, the power cable (red) from a power bank soldered to the highest pin on a switch, the camera plugs into a USB A Female end soldered to the middle pin on a switch, and the ground cables (black) from all 3 cables soldered together. so I have 3 cables coming out off the switch: 2 USB A Male (to connect to 2 power sources) and one USB A Female to connect a camera to it. if I have to replace a 10ft cable I just replace it, no re-soldering required. I use this setup to have more control over the cameras - I can turn On or Off any camera and use any power source out of two available. if I switch the power source quickly my cameras keep recording the same files without a reboot. might be very handy if you see something ahead of you and about to be pulled over and asked to turn off your engine.... or you're about to park your car within a minute or two, you want to continue recording without people notice what cables you're playing with, you switch the power sources before you stop and power off the engine and just walk away. for the same reason I have LED = Off and Screen Saver = 3sec.
I used a diagram (below) found on the internet as a guide. the goal is to use new and the same AWG cables as the original from Viofo (22AWG) and make a reliable soldering. also I use Bestek adapter and RAVPower power banks. you can also hide the power bank and the wires and put a switch where no one can see it (not my case). :)

fridge_fan_layout2-crop.jpg

Last edited:
Can only power from side USB port, not support from USB port on GPS mount.

I installed my hardwire kit last week and currently have it plugged into the GPS mount. I just moved it to the side USB port and when I turn my car off, the A129 turns off. If i press Menu key, it turns back on but recording in Normal mode, not 15FPS parking mode... I'm confused.

As viofo mentioned, parking mode won't kick in if plugged into the GPS mount, need to use the side USB port.

It does kick in when plugged into GPS mount, just not immediately. When I plug it into the side USB port, it turns off when the car is turned off.

I installed my hardwire kit last week and currently have it plugged into the GPS mount. I just moved it to the side USB port and when I turn my car off, the A129 turns off. If i press Menu key, it turns back on but recording in Normal mode, not 15FPS parking mode... I'm confused.
have you checked the video on a computer for "parking mode" files and 15fps of it?

have you checked the video on a computer for "parking mode" files and 15fps of it?
Yes. For example yesterday morning, after my car was in a parking garage overnight, 5 minutes or so after driving I went into the saved files and started watching files from before 7am when I got in the car and they were in 15FPS. So it does turn on but don't know what's triggering it. Sometimes when I get in the car and start driving, I'll check and it's recording in 15FPS but will shortly switch to regular mode.

Is it a 3 wire kit? If so, is the camera running a firmware with the new parking mode? Do you see any option for low frame-rate or time-lapse?
Yes it's the 3 wire kit. Running v1.3 and yes I have options for time lapse and parking mode which is where I can select the FPS.

Yes. For example yesterday morning, after my car was in a parking garage overnight, 5 minutes or so after driving I went into the saved files and started watching files from before 7am when I got in the car and they were in 15FPS. So it does turn on but don't know what's triggering it. Sometimes when I get in the car and start driving, I'll check and it's recording in 15FPS but will shortly switch to regular mode.
Is it possible you have red and yellow wires around the wrong way. For some reason viofo switched the colours of the Acc and B+ wires compared to every other manufacturer

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mtz
I don't think 1.2 or 1.3 has the new Parking Mode, it still has the old PM available on other A119 models.

@Finger Which version are you on?
I'm on the beta 1.11

More than a few hardwire kits have variations of where the red wire goes so you must always read the instructions for that exact product. The only certainty is that black is always negative (-).

If you're having problems and can gain access easily, switching the red around with the other non-black wire might do the trick.

Phil

Hi all, just got my a129 installed and right now plugged in through GPS power to an always on cigarette lighter in my center console. What are the proper settings I should place to limit the drain on my battery? I enabled motion detection mode to hopefully turn off the recording after I park. Does this thing have some sort of voltage monitoring/control?

Are there any other settings I should look into? And also any other tricks to keep the battery in decent shape? I've seen people use battery packs but I'd like to not have to switch anything when I stop and I'm a bit worried about operating temperatures. I also know hardwire kits are often used, however my vehicle requires going through the firewall (there is a grommet but this still makes for a much more painful installation) to typically set up the hardwire kit so that's a no go for me. suggestions? -- Thank you in advance

edit: I've also seen the Rhundo RS-20st which looks interesting as well (w/ voltage cutoff)...

Last edited:
Thank
Using the cigarette lighter socket there's no option to set a cut-off voltage, runs a risk of the battery voltage going too low to start the car.

Recommended hardwiring if you intend to use Parking Mode. Their Parking Mode specific 3 wire hardwiring kit should be out soon, the kit has user selectable voltage cut-offs ranging from 11.4 or 11.6-12.4V. There's no need to go through the firewall, hardwire it to the internal fusebox using a fuse-tap. The Rhundo device appears to be a good option for cars with always on 12V sockets.

I haven't used motion-detection but I think the power draw would be equivalent to what their Parking Mode feature draws.
thank you for your reply, unfortunately my vehicle’s (2015 Grand Cherokee) fuse box is in the engine bay (and battery in the car, odd right) - I’ll look into the Rhundo or for the time being use a power bank (since fortunately colder weather approaches).

Thank you again

I have had a couple of customers with bad rear camera cables
I think the cables are good but became damaged after the user forced them when installing.
Normally all rear cables and hardwire kits must be checked with main camera before installing them in the car. Not after.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think the cables are good but became damaged after the user forced them when installing.
Normally all rear cables and hardwire kits must be checked with main camera before installing them in the car. Not after.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yeah, I agree. I think most of these cables were damaged during install. Some have admitted this, some have not, so I don't know if it's been the case 100% of the time. I've sent out new cables either way to those that contacted me with the issue. Some just returned to Amazon claiming defective without reaching out. One issue I've had, is I include a 90 degree USB adapter with all the Viofo cameras, which can help with power cable routing. This adapter cannot be used on the rear cable for the A129 as it will not work with it. I stated this in all my listings, but I now include a note in all the boxes, stating that it cannot be used with the rear cable. I think some were jamming the adapter onto the cable, damaging it. I pondered not including the adapter in the A129 box, but elected to place a note in the box instead, as I think the adapter is handy in many installs. I haven't had anymore issues since.

Viofo said they would be releasing a new beta firmware on the forums by the end of the week.

@Ramacher You'll need the Parking Mode specific firmware, still not released publicly.

I got a message from Viofo yesterday stating that there's a new firmware to be released this week and there's a new beta but did not include the link...

Back