Want to update firmware but can't even connect to PC

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used a USB cable which just put a symbol on the screen of the dash cam. For some reason wouldn't connect. Maybe someone can offer a why on that?
Couldn't find the original short cable so had to order one which came today. Followed the how to update firmware guide and connected the device - instantly get a blue screen on display saying to format the card, even though I'd already formatted it with Windows.
I then format it using SD card formatter on quick - again same issue.
I then do the full format, go watch TV since it's taking so long, come back and same issue. Constantly being asked to format the card. If i select No then it just ignores me and keeps asking the question.

Switch from trying FAT32 to exFAT - same issue. Card is a 16GB Kingston.

Anyone able to offer advice?

Have you tried formatting the card using the format option in the camera, without connecting to a PC?

Used a USB cable which just put a symbol on the screen of the dash cam. For some reason wouldn't connect. Maybe someone can offer a why on that?

There are two kinds of USB cables. Your camera came with both. The long cable that is used for installation is basically just a power cable to run the camera. The short cable that came with the camera is a data cable that has extra wires along with the wires that supply the power and ground and these data wires are what allow your camera and computer to communicate with each other.

It sounds as if the replacement USB cable you purchased is not a data cable.

You will need the proper cable to connect the cam and the computer.

usb-pins.jpg

@JockoT - yep. That's never worked before. It always has a hissy fit. Not just today. I'll select format on the dash cam itself and it'll just keep telling me to format the card. The card when selecting this method is then not usable and I have to format it on the PC proper to get it sorted again.

I actually found an old thread of mine which sort of sorted my issue to a degree but also didn't.

So i got another card, put the update file on it, plugged it in to the PC (using the new short cable I'd bought) and after a bit of flashing and blank screen, it powered up. Firmware was then updated to the latest.

However it was still asking me to format the card. I selected no and this time it let me select no rather than ignoring me.

@Dashmellow As i've just said to JockoT there, the new cable actually allowed me to update the firmware just now ... just not how the VIOFO website tells you to do it.
It was a different (spare) USB cable that I had that didn't work with it, but your explanation will be the why to that i guess. So thanks :)

You don't need to connect the dashcam to a PC to update the firmware. In fact, you shouldn't as it often goes into data mode.

You put the firmware onto a clean SDCard then put the card into the cam.

Then use a mobile phone charging mains adapter or plug it into the car power. Even a powerbank works.

As DM's post above though, if it won't connect to the PC to view the card contents then you don't have a fully wired lead.

If you keep getting messages to format the card, then the card may be going bad or the card doesn't write fast enough for the cam. With every new card and as card maintenance, plug the card straight into your PC (or through a card reader, not the cam) and do a full overwrite with SDformatter. If that shows all being well run h2testw (again doing a full overwrite) or Crystaldiskmark to verify card speed and integrity. When done format the card with the quick version of SDformatter and load the new FW onto the card.

I've found this to be the best method for every dashcam with the only variation being that I have some older cams which require cards to be in fat32 format; for those you may need other freeware as Windows won't do that with larger cards. Also if you use a Mac you absolutely need to do an in-cam format after loading the FW as they sometimes write hidden files to the card directory which can cause problems.

Phil

For updating the Firmware I formatted the card in the camera but using the computer software. I then copied the Firmware file onto the card. I switched off the camera, unplugged it from the computer and connected it to a power source (my 13A sockets have USB charging ports in them) and it started up and updated the Firmware with no problem.

Yep, a mains power source is the way to go.

Trying to use a PC USB port is often underpowered but more crucially it puts the dashcam into data or MTP mode.

Back