What dash cam should I buy?

Robert Buttigieg

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi,

I am looking for a dash cam which works also when the car is off but I haven't found any yet. Does someone know where can I look for, please?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Almost every cam can do this but you have to have a constantly-on power source, not a switched one. And you will have to remember to turn the cam off and on as needed. How long were you planning to leave the cam turned on? None are meant for 24/7 use but a couple tolerate that well enough while some aren't usable this way. Most will handle 8-12 hours recording as long as they don't overheat. Not sure what the climate is like there but if summers are really hot you might want a super-capacitor powered cam as LiPo batteries don't tolerate excess heat well.

Tell us more about your planned usage and budget, I'm sure we can find you a suitable cam. And welcome to DCT :D

Phil

Hi,

I am looking for a dash cam which works also when the car is off but I haven't found any yet. Does someone know where can I look for, please?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Plenty of cam can do: F770, dr650.... All are korean dashcam and very expensive. The image quality is not so good because they are designed for runing almost all the time.
If you buy china cam, they are advertised has parking mode but they are not realiable. If you still want to buy, try to buy from a local seller with a long time warranty.

The cams with "Parking Mode" sometimes do not give you all the evidence you need; there are constantly cases posted where an impact was captured but not enough before and after to identify the vehicle and sometimes nothing was recorded at all. IMHO even today's best "parking mode" is still not done well enough which is why I prefer continuous recording instead. I will not ever miss anything though I might have to sort through hours worth of clips to find what I need. There's little difference in the power needs for either way, and I get better vids while driving.

Your money, your choice!
Phil

Back