What features would your ideal dashcam have?

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Maybe a manufacturer might be willing to release their code from an older camera they no longer have on the market and let people build on it or one of the chip makers would see the wisdom in opening up the codes and SDKs to an older processor. I'm not sure how else it could happen unless it was created from scratch.

Unfortunately this wont happen for Ambarella based ones :s

wow....dashcams with aps-c sensors......

on a more realistic note, my ideal dashcam would be:

self contained, small camera. 803 sized or smaller is good.
wifi. (no screen needed) hotspot mode for previews, watching video, and settings done with smartphone. client mode for auto upload to cloud when in range of specific networks.
good night visibility.
1080p/60.
as mentioned earlier a quick mute/unmute is a good idea

no gps for me, and no need for added complexity of external lenses etc.
battery is fine, ive never had any problems with one. though i guess a cap is fine too.

Im really hoping 2015 is the year all this happens. (i thought 2014 would be.....) seems like we are almost there.

Wi-Fi + Auto Bright Night + small, even attached to the rearview mirror, but not in the bulky way.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
The ideal system for me would be based on the Panorama 2x using four of it's smaller rear camera's connected to a four channel remote DVR connected to the rearview mirror to monitor and control the camera's functions using a remote that can be mounted with removable sticky tape to the dash. The vehicle reverse signal would also be used to view the rear camera when backing up. Side camera's could be rotated 180 degrees from outside view to inside view with gravity sensor to flip the upside down image right side up. This would allow the passenger side camera to view what is happening inside the vehicle and outside the drivers window if pulled over by the police, or approached by an irritated individual. The front camera could be part on the rearview mirror, but the mirror could be installed upside up or upside down so that the camera could be on the right side or left side. I personally prefer the camera on the drivers side of the mirror closer to the window. Of course a software option would flip the image on the mirror. The remote DVR would have a USB 3.0 port for copying the video files to a memory stick or solid state hard drive for transferring to a computer.

Thanks for the correction. My mind is not always connected to my finger when following a number of different threads and kickstarters at the same time on a cell phone. Guess I should use a real computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Combined with hazard warning lights?

enjoy,
Mtz

Having a wishlist is ok but it seems to me that some manufacturers are trying to run before they can walk.
Adding some bells and whistles to their cams means they can keep prices inflated - and out of reach of most motorists.
The G1W is a very popular cam - decent, acceptable performance at an amazing price.
The mobius - again, a very popular cam, as the G1 but far better form factor
The mini 0803 - almost seems as though this is the lovechild of the above 2 cams!

And the pricepoint increases with each of the above.
The innovv shows us that you can have an external lens & keep the price down - the marcus 5 then takes the mickey by giving us that 2nd lens on an extension, with a price on an even longer extension!

Maybe, if manufacturers took a step back for a while. Look at how they can plug two great lenses into a unit that will provide great video and worry about the size of the DVR much later?
The whole point of a dashcam is to record your whole journey - and not just a segment of it when you shout "record" or hit your horn. As with movement detector, by the time the thing starts working, the event may be past.

Footage from a G1 is more than enough to prove innocence in many an accident - if insurance need to know your speed, they can pull the info from your car's onboard computer.
People are building their own dual cam systems using a pair of G1s, Mobius or other similarly priced, half decent cams - so until a manufacturer can come up with a system which gives dual cam footage for a realistic price, then people will continue with their home-made options.

The article concludes...

"We have now bought an off-the-shelf dashcam (our review), which we are using in our family car."

That off-the-shelf dashcam being the 0801. :)

Not sure I get the point of this post.

The original question addressed was about the possibility of an open source DIY dash cam (specifically the OS firmware) not whether it would be as good as a commercial model.

I agree that some of the features of higher end model dashcams do not give much bang for the buck. For example, larger displays cost more but provide little value since they are often hidden behind the mirror and off most on the time. Touch screens cost more but get very little use. Both features are convenient for recalling and viewing a file in the vehicle after an accident, but not manitory.
But then we can look at the other side of the issue, the introduction of higher featured dashcams benefit us in a couple ways: They force the prices of lower feature dashcams down, and lower priced dashcams are forced to continue to evolve and adapt newer technology, making them better.
True, we do pay more for higher feature dashcams, but it is customer driven, and without that drive for bigger and better we would still be paying $149.00 for a very crude VGA cam like we did 10-15 years ago. So everyone benefits as the technology demand is pushed to the limits.

Not sure I get the point of this post.

The original question addressed was about the possibility of an open source DIY dash cam (specifically the OS firmware) not whether it would be as good as a commercial model.

The point being the author abandoned his open-source dashcam project in favor of a low-end off-the-shelf dashcam.

I agree with @wrdjr20 that many of the bells and whistles we are starting to see in certain higher end dash cams do not really add much practical value. One very practical "hidden trend" I've noticed over the last number of years that I hope continues to improve is that of great reliability and dependability. Many of my early dash cam experiences revolved around checking to see if the cameras were actually function properly or even recording video at all and often discovering that they weren't. So, the "features" in my "ideal dash cam" would be one that provides all the basic required functionality, excellent image quality day and night and rock solid reliability.

The point being the author abandoned his open-source dashcam project in favor of a low-end off-the-shelf dashcam.

So what? Again, the point was whether an open source cam exited at all, not whether it was the ultimate camera.

I agree with @wrdjr20 that many of the bells and whistles we are starting to see in certain higher end dash cams do not really add much practical value. One very practical "hidden trend" I've noticed over the last number of years that I hope continues to improve is that of great reliability and dependability. Many of my early dash cam experiences revolved around checking to see if the cameras were actually function properly or even recording video at all and often discovering that they weren't. So, the "features" in my "ideal dash cam" would be one that provides all the basic required functionality, excellent image quality day and night and rock solid reliability.
When I updated the fw on my mobius, I didn't realise I couldn't simply plug the 64gig card back in & expect it to work. Only when it was turned on the next morning did I realise something was wrong - I didn't get the normal flashing red light. My fault really for not testing it after updating.
With the G1W, I like the initial few minutes of screen because you see an image of the road ahead & you also see a flashing red dot on the screen.
With a dual (remote lens) cam system, each lens would need an LED mounted in the rear so the driver had an indication that the cam was working - OR one of those cheap screens (as seen on the $15 cams (the ones with excellent night vision etc etc :rolleyes:)with flip down screen) which could be mounted remotely & maybe house the emergency button (save the previous file & the next one or two files) as well as a "screen on" button.
As for the reliability of cameras - hmm, that's a toughie. DR32 - lasted only 8 months, cost an arm and a leg. My mobius has done over 1000 hours yet cost half as much. My old DOD "digital Video Camcorder" still records in 1080p & is 'at least' 6 years old - used for about 3 years as a dashcam & remainder of the time as a handheld camcorder. The mobius does well to withstand the jolts from the many bumps and potholes I hit every day. The DOD also survived many of them.
I think much of the reliability depends upon the brand you buy rather than the actual price. I wonder if some prices are kept high to fool customers that "you get what you pay for".

I would like to have a dashcam like the mobius (because the size and the support!) BUT with 1080p 60fps or even more than 60fps - but with full field of view and not narrow.

Many of my early dash cam experiences revolved around checking to see if the cameras were actually function properly or even recording video at all and often discovering that they weren't.
I never see my Itronics ITB-250HD because is mounted in the back. But is so good that I don't need to check it ever. From they day I mounted it in the car I knew that it is always recording. Always.
It have a discrete beep which is "telling" me that is starting recording after the engine started. Two months ago I received many beeps because of some error. I never formatted the Card. I formatted and restarted the camera. From that moment I never heard any beep I never miss any second from my trips. And I drive daily, about 120km with many start/stop of the engine.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back