What is the best form factor for a rear camera on a hatchback?

Grzegorz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Already got one on my windshield, now looking to mount a rear facing camera. I drive a VW Golf. What do you guys think is the best form factor for a clean looking install? The smaller the better.

What is your front cam? some front cams have the facility to add a rear cam, which is usually a tiny "lens-only" type unit

if not, maybe one of the mini 080* or 090* units (google mini 0806 for example)

or a wedge cam (a118/119, street guardian, rexing), I think the lens can possibly be angled up enough, the golf has quite the verticle rear window

I have a mio 508 in my rear screen on a slightly modified roadhawk adhesive mount because of the ability to angle it (and it doesn't touch the heater elements), but it's not the smallest of cams for a rear window

Then you have a vertical or near vertical rear hatch just like i have on my little Suzuki, so if you like me like no heater elements in the footage you need the lens to be right up against the glass.

With single cameras i have used my mobius and joovuu X camera as they have the smallest head on profile.
Another route are most / many dual channel dashcams as they often have a very small rear camera on a wire, and that's what you will want with the camera right up against the glass.

Off course if stealth are of no concern you can put just about anything there.

I had my cameras mounted with a super magnet to the hatch frame and then space out the camera with a metal strip so it just peek out below the door and above the top heater element.

.......With single cameras i have used my mobius and joovuu X camera as they have the smallest head on profile.....

That's what the wife and I prefer in our cars, partly for their small profile and partly because those cams will fit onto a wide range of mounts. Suction cup mounts usually fall off rear windows within a day or two due to slightly uneven glass surface due to heating wires.

yes cant put suction cup on rear window, at least not if you want stealth.
I am lucky i have plenty of the door metal framing my rear window, and so plenty to "build" a stealthy mount off.
The rear camera for the 0906 i tested installed perfect on magnet, and from what i can see coming dual cameras will give me equal opportunity to do a stealthy install.
Even the smallest cameras are pretty big when they are right up against the glass.

I have tried 2 methods which work in my Yaris 4 door hatchback....a Joby tripod thingo wrapped around the headrest posts . And an Arkon bean bag mount/ base with suction cup mount .Placed & angled on the "parcel tray" cover .Tether the mount so it does not slide in a quick stop. Also tried a modified tablet mount for headrest post . I glued on a ball mount & tripod screw for Mobius . The Arkon bean bag works the best as with a suction cup mount i get a bit higher for a clear views out the back. Plus in the direct sun when parked i can put in on the floor to avoid heat stress. Mobius has capacitor but best to avoid direct sun when parked. There is some vibration but for me the parcel shelf is the best position .

Thanks for the info guys.

My front camera is a mini 0801 that I bought like 4 years ago and still going strong. I am not opposed to buying another from the mini series if that's the best option.

I like the A118 or A119 cameras but I am not sure whether they can be mounted if the glass is vertical?

Also the inside of the window has heating wires so I don't think I can apply the adhesive over those wires, won't the heat just melt the adhesive causing it to fall? Maybe I can use several small adhesive squares positioned between the wires.

I thought maybe many other people might have hatchbacks so I was wondering what they did.

The demister elements don't get hot enough to cause an issue, if you like your 0801 maybe look at replacing it with the 0906, the rear camera is very small

I have a SG9665GC as a rear camera in my SUV - rear window is nearly the same angle as a Golf. Instead of using the dual sided tape for mounting I used 3M Dual-Lock on the mounting plate and between the heating wires on the rear glass. No problems with that setup at all.
I also have a couple of A118C cams I use as side cams and those windows are nearly vertical, no problems there either.

Mobius, Joovu, Viofo WR1. Anything small and compact really. Would suggest you don't really want a screen on a rear cam as could be distracting.

Since I liked my solution so much and since nobody else has mentioned anything similar yet, may I suggest the bent money clip mount:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-38#post-255752

It doesn't get that close to the glass but will be more stealthy, especially if behind tinted glass. Being a little further back I think shows a bit more perspective in terms of how far or close the vehicle behind you is. If you have no part of your car in the footage, a bit like at the front, you might not be able to show those distances clearly. It does hold the camera very well, however, be careful it doesn't clamp too tightly on the headliner as it could potentially leave a permanent indent once it's removed. It creates a mostly horizontal mounting location, which may not be suitable for all cameras.

My front camera is a mini 0801 that I bought like 4 years ago and still going strong. I am not opposed to buying another from the mini series if that's the best option.

I like the A118 or A119 cameras but I am not sure whether they can be mounted if the glass is vertical?

Also the inside of the window has heating wires so I don't think I can apply the adhesive over those wires, won't the heat just melt the adhesive causing it to fall? Maybe I can use several small adhesive squares positioned between the wires.

I thought maybe many other people might have hatchbacks so I was wondering what they did.
On my hatchback the heating wires don't go near the top of the glass since you can't see up there from the driver's seat, the camera is mounted as high as possible using a sticky pad and looks through the gap above the heater wires, there is no issue, I have a mini 0906, however my hatch is around windscreen angle instead of near vertical so may not be relevant.

If your 0801 is 4 years old then it will need a new battery before long, might be better to replace it by the 0906 dual camera, it does give significantly better quality, especially in low light for both front and back.

Depending on the adhesive mount, it might well fit between the heater elements (no risk of damaging them if you need to remove the mount), or you could possibly trim the sticky pad

the roadhawk mount I use is small enough not to touch the heater element

I moved my Garmin 65W which is a 180 degree (diagonal) camera to my rear hatch and it works well in that location. But it's very conspicious

cylindrical cameras are good on the rear hatch glass but depending on the car, it will still probably be noticeable. I have a SGZC12RC on the rear glass of my fiat and it's quite small but since the car is also tiny, it's not inconspicuous. the other added benefit of the SGZC12RC is that I have the recording unit/display on my dash so I can check it's status from the ****pit.

haha...c0ckpit is censored!

Mobius, Joovu, Viofo WR1. Anything small and compact really. Would suggest you don't really want a screen on a rear cam as could be distracting.
Also,add our B1W to this list :)

My rear cam is really obvious, but still people sit behind me using their phones while driving, or picking their noses

I've got a mini 803 in my rear windscreen, it's hidden behind a stick on H4H charity sticker, just the bottom of the camera below the sticker, the rest of the camera and mount hidden, from the outside it's virtually invisible unless you have your face 12" from the screen.....

I should add the rear windscreen is heated as well, a Skoda Octavia Hatchback...

Also because it's on a window sticker, if I want to remove the camera and mount all I have to do is just have to peel the sticker off the window complete with the camera and mount instead of fiddling about with dental floss trying to remove the mount from the window......

Last edited:
My B1W is visible behind the tinted glass of my minivan's hatchback, however the size and shape of the cam renders it as not attracting attention. Unless you're looking for a cam there you won't give it a second glance. Mine is mounted on a dome light just inside the hatch so it hangs lower than I like- I needed to install it quickly so I didn't have the time to do better, but if I could get it a little higher it would essentially disappear. The wiring is tucked under the weatherstripping for a neat and easy run to a rear-mounted hardwire kit.

IMHO it's the perfect budget-friendly rear cam for almost any vehicle. Will post pics on the "show us your install ' thread tomorrow- thought I'd had those already but I don't :rolleyes:

Phil

my coworker bought an A119 for his trucks rear window which is vertical. seems to work fine for him with the thicker mounting plate.

Back