What is the largest capacity micro SD card being used by dashcamtalk users

richcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x0801, 0806 (broken), Mobius 1, Mobius 2, Auto-Vox B60
Have been considering purchasing a Mobius dash cam for some time now for a variety of uses including in the car either battery powered or using a super capacitor and hard-wiring the unit in.

Although the official blurb may state 32GB is the largest card that can be used in the Mobius, are there any users on here that are successfully using larger capacity micro SD cards than this, say 64GB or 128GB or bigger?

Also, in terms of battery life, what is the longest the Mobius can record using the standard battery, and how does that compare to the super capacitor, or is the use of the capacitor only used when the unit is hard-wired from the car battery and doesn't actually hold much of a charge?

Are there any other external battery options available to increase the recording length when used as an external recorder.

Although the official blurb may state 32GB is the largest card that can be used in the Mobius, are there any users on here that are successfully using larger capacity micro SD cards than this, say 64GB or 128GB or bigger?

Some owners are using 64Gb cards successfully. I'm not aware of anyone using a 128GB card. Should work ok, but it's an expensive experiment.

Also, in terms of battery life, what is the longest the Mobius can record using the standard battery, and how does that compare to the super capacitor, or is the use of the capacitor only used when the unit is hard-wired from the car battery and doesn't actually hold much of a charge?

The 820mAh battery is good for over 2 hours between charges. An external power bank can extend recording time to over 24 hours, depending on it's capacity. The capacitor must be used in conjunction with external power, as it's only purpose is to save the clip being recorded when external power is cut.

My unbranded 64Gb card was Ok for over 2000hours. Not sure how that got in there as I generally buy kingston.
Perhaps I thought I was buying Kingston & the print wore off over time?

Some owners are using 64Gb cards successfully. I'm not aware of anyone using a 128GB card. Should work ok, but it's an expensive experiment.

I'm using a 0806 which has two 64GB cards fitted and I also have a 128GB card which I haven't tested yet but I have formatted it in FAT32 on the Mac using Disk Utility, am assuming that the 128GB card will behave in the same way as the 64GB, just bigger.

The 820mAh battery is good for over 2 hours between charges. An external power bank can extend recording time to over 24 hours, depending on it's capacity. The capacitor must be used in conjunction with external power, as it's only purpose is to save the clip being recorded when external power is cut.

Thanks Russ331 for the info which clarified why the capacitor is used rather than the standard battery.

What type of external power supplies can be used, you mentioned recording capacity of over 24 hours, I've not seen any of the Mobius sellers advertising larger capacity battery storage, any chance of posting a link to purchase a power bank?

What type of external power supplies can be used, you mentioned recording capacity of over 24 hours, I've not seen any of the Mobius sellers advertising larger capacity battery storage, any chance of posting a link to purchase a power bank?

I use an Anker Astro E4 13000mAh. Other brands are available. The most I've done is to use my Anker to power Mobius overnight when my car was in a hotel car park. After around 10 hours use from fully charged, 3 of the 4 charge indicator LEDs on the Anker were lit, indicating it still held between 50% to 75% charge.

The capacitor must be used in conjunction with external power, as it's only purpose is to save the clip being recorded when external power is cut.

Thanks Russ331 for the info which clarified why the capacitor is used rather than the standard battery.

Russ certainly knows this but he somehow forgot to mention that there is also another purpose for the super-capacitor which (like the battery) is to keep the date and time settings on the camera after shut-off. The capacitor should maintain the date and time for 7-10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might as well throw my 2 cents in with the battery bank recommendations. I've been using the EPCTEK 50,000 mAh battery bank almost daily for 11 months with excellent results. It sells on Amazon for only £13.06 with free UK delivery. While it is not likely to really be 50,000 mAh, even though it gets marketed that way, it is probably close to half that which is pretty good. I've run two Mobius cams for 23 hours and it still had power left. The battery bank sells under various names but EPCTEK is the actual manufacturer. There are apparently a few cheap clones of this battery bank coming out of China made with inferior 18650 cells but if it is really from EPCTEK it is the real deal and for the price it is hard to beat. One reason I like it is that the USB ports are on the side of the bank which happens to work extremely well with the way I use these units as they fit the center console of my vehicle and the compartment is almost the exact width of the battery bank length and this makes connecting cameras convenient, discreet and secure.

By coincidence, I happen to have a second one of these on order which is due to arrive today.

Last edited:
It's 10,000 for 4 dollars less and no mention of the quality of cells used. The 16,000 is a better deal and a guaranteed capacity using LG cells.

Having had a cheap one swell up while charging, I'm not risking no name batteries again.

It's just an example. Deals for power banks are posted at HUKD on a daily basis. It's up to the individual buyer to satisfy himself that the particular product is good value, as opposed to cheap & nasty.

I used 64gb in fat32 format, 4 months running strong other than firmware upgrades

I might as well throw my 2 cents in with the battery bank recommendations. I've been using the EPCTEK 50,000 mAh battery bank for many months with excellent results. It sells on Amazon for only £13.06 with free UK delivery. While it is not likely to really be 50,000 mAh, even though it gets marketed that way, it is probably close to half that which is pretty good. I've run two Mobius cams for 23 hours and it still had power left. The battery bank sells under various names but EPCTEK is the actual manufacturer. There are apparently a few cheap clones of this battery bank coming out of China made with inferior 18650 cells but if it is really from EPCTEK it is the real deal and for the price it is hard to beat. One reason I like it is that the USB ports are on the side of the bank which happens to work extremely well with the way I use these units as they fit the center console of my vehicle and the compartment is almost the exact width of the battery bank length and this makes connecting cameras convenient, discreet and secure.

By coincidence, I happen to have a second one of these on order which is due to arrive today.

Is there a US supplier?

Is there a US supplier?

As in the UK it is also available in the US from Amazon for basically the same price. (sold under the name Lenoge)

It is also available under the name CBD on Amazon. (EPCTEK is part of the CBD Group, Inc)

BTW, some people on Amazon complain that these battery banks don't perform well or not to their expectations but from what I can tell they don't know how to use them. When new, the pack should be run down and then fully charged a couple of times before they can be expected to perform at their rated capacity. This basically sets the charging circuitry ("fuel gauge") and is called calibration. This also kind of lets the batteries "breath" and this is called conditioning. Batteries can be a little like muscles that need some exercise after sitting around a long time in storage. This calibration process should be done again every once in awhile, maybe every few of months. The little instruction sheet that came with the EPCTEK bank said to cycle the battery bank at least three times before you can expect maximum performance. The logic is that lithium battery banks are essentially the same as lithium laptop battery packs which are "smart" batteries that require calibration.

Despite what I've said above, for maximum longevity lithium-ion batteries should not be deeply discharged on a regular basis. They prefer to be topped off as often as possible.

For more information read, "How to Prolong Lithium-based batteries" at Battery University.

Here is an excerpt from the article I've referenced: "The shorter the discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."

Last edited:
i have two 64gb samsung pro class 10 card on both my front and rear mobius cams, it works flawlessly. Clips are created and deleted as expected. you dont need a pro the evo just works as fine.

My largest one is Sony 64 GB MicroSDHC Class 10. For my needs 16gb does more then enough job. Really satisfied with Sony's cards. On the other hand they are a bit pricey compared to others.

My Transcend Premium 300X 64GB worked just one day. Now is in read only mode and I cannot recover it. Money lost. :(

enjoy,
Mtz

My Transcend Premium 300X 64GB worked just one day. Now is in read only mode and I cannot recover it. Money lost. :(
That's not great news but could you please report back here:

What camera was that in? Not good news for you but on the plus side indicates there is definitely a bad batch as you're now the 4th person I've read of on here recently with that problem with that exact card!!

Where did you buy it from please @Mtz?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using Sand Disk "OH THE HORROR!!!" :eek:

and an ADATA

both 64GB

Back