Whats the use of the parking mode?

jamieevans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im looking to get a dash cam with parking mode. With the 512GW I do not understand how the parking mode would be useful?

It says it has the G-sensor and intelligent parking mode so it will start recording after it detects impact.
So if a car hits me and drives away, my footage will show a car driving away. And I will not have any evidence of the actual impact.

In a insurance claim, the driver who hit me can easily say he did not hit me and my footage shows nothing otherwise.

Am i understanding it correctly?

Thanks

So in reality the NextBase design of the parking mode is kind of useless in hit and run situations?

Any other cams u would recommend that implement parking mode better. (if possible ones which do not need me to buy somthing like the cellink neo6)

So just buying a cam and hardwiring it to my cars battery wont be good enough?

there's a bit more to it than that, you wouldn't want to wire a camera with an internal battery to run all the time, you also don't want something that is going to run your car battery flat so you want a camera that can operate when parked and know what it's doing and when to turn off

Thanks i understand it a bit more now. Have been trying to read as much on the forums as possible and these cams seem to keep coming up. My main requirement I need is to be able in the case of a hit and run on my car to have some footage of it. Buying hardwire kits when nesscary with these models which which you say is the best for the parking mode. (without the need to buy somthing like a cellink to keep it 'on' 24/7)
Street Guardian SG9663DC, Thinkware F770 and Blackvue DR590W?

there's plenty of cameras that can be used for parking mode, not just ours, have a read through the section of the forum for those that you think might meet your requirements, I'm sure if you have questions on any of them the info will be there or if not the info will be there for the asking

I have a feeling that you have missed the OP's point jokiin.
So if a car hits me and drives away, my footage will show a car driving away. And I will not have any evidence of the actual impact.
To satisfy the shortcomings that he highlights, to capture what he wants to, he will need all round coverage which will require multiple cameras and for the cameras capturing video before the bump event.

His assumption is a bit wrong in so far as some cameras (My Blackview for instance) and possibly Nextbase too continuously buffer the parking video and when a bump is detected, they save several seconds of the video buffer leading up to the bump and for several seconds after is, thus the whole event will be recorded.
This does of course depend on the bumping car being within the video capture area of the camera,

I have a feeling that you have missed the OP's point jokiin.
To satisfy the shortcomings that he highlights, to capture what he wants to, he will need all round coverage which will require multiple cameras and for the cameras capturing video before the bump event.

His assumption is a bit wrong in so far as some cameras (My Blackview for instance) and possibly Nextbase too continuously buffer the parking video and when a bump is detected, they save several seconds of the video buffer leading up to the bump and for several seconds after is, thus the whole event will be recorded.
This does of course depend on the bumping car being within the video capture area of the camera,

I don't think I missed the point, he is correct that a camera that wakes up after the event to start recording will prove nothing, regardless of whether it was pointed in the appropriate direction it's still too late to be of any use, you may know who did it but you still can't prove it, he needs a camera with a different type of parking function to meet his needs, he's on the right track now I think, up to him to choose which fits his needs

That's interesting.

So the camera is actually constantly recording and ditching if not needed ?

If so no wonder some are getting flat dashcam batteries if not wired to a permanent alternative source.

That's interesting.

So the camera is actually constantly recording and ditching if not needed ?

If so no wonder some are getting flat dashcam batteries if not wired to a permanent alternative source.

no, the Blackvue buffers like that, the Nextbase goes to sleep and if the G-Sensor is triggered it wakes up and then starts recording, it's quite quick considering what it does but it will still be a second or two after the event so you won't actually catch the event itself, the battery is good for about 30 minutes of use like this from memory, which is something like 15 events

the Blackvue buffers like that, the Nextbase goes to sleep and if the G-Sensor is triggered it wakes up and then starts recording,
Thanks for clearing that up Jokiin. I wasn't quite sure on the NB.
Perhaps OP needs a different camera that works the way he wants it to. I too had my doubts about the viability of cameras that 'wake up' and just record the aftermath.

It does seem odd how nextbase have implemented thr parking mode on the newer model cameras.

The manual says when an event is detected by the g sensor then it wakes up a starts recording a 2 mins file.

The older camera aka my 512g used to go into a sleep state but monitoring the video, any movement set it to record and as such a car moving would wake it up and you would get the footage of the car hitting your car.

So unless the newer ones do the same it seems parking mode is pretty redundant.

I was assuming it worked in the same was as thr previous models.

If it doesn't what exactly is the point in parking mode, as said yes you may see the car drive off but you have no actual proof they hit your car on camera.

@NextBase Tiffany can you clarify the parking mode operation please.

motion detect does what you are talking about but needs to be powered to do that, the other method can wake from a sleep state when not powered

motion detect does what you are talking about but needs to be powered to do that, the other method can wake from a sleep state when not powered
I am a little confused.

Are you saying that the following statement by Simcor is correct if you hard wire your 512GW to a permanent 12v supply?

“The older camera aka my 512g used to go into a sleep state but monitoring the video, any movement (I presume in front of the lens) set it to record and as such a car moving would wake it up and you would get the footage of the car hitting your car.

If so that’s a feature I would definitely use.

Yes @Simcor 512G and others that we have manufactured in the past, note none that are for sale currently, had motion detection which would require a permanent power supply and it would remain on and only record for 10 second bursts when a change of scene was detected.

Parking mode, or intelligent parking mode which is on the 412GW+ on the current range will turn on and record for 2 minutes after a bump is detected. It's quite sensitive (as you might have seen on other threads), we also changed the start up screen to half the length of time it takes to boot and begin recording. Then when no activity is detected it powers down into standby mode again, you can use perm live or its internal battery for this.

For the most part it is sufficient, powering up and recording events.

We're developing a radar system which will likely be available in the new year.

@NextBase Tiffany So it is correct that in intelligent parking mode on the 512GW it would be useless if a driver hit you and drove off? as the footage is just a car driving off?

It depends on what hypothetical situation we were going to use, in the context of your question:

The only time I have ever heard of the car not being caught on the dash cam is a 212 Lite customer around 2 years ago, before this new boot up, parked on the side of a 60mph road. The dash cam still turned on and showed the offending driver pulling up on the side of the road ahead, getting out, checking their car and then looking back and driving off.

That, I know, is a very specific circumstance but it isn't often that cars are, or even are allowed to, park on a road of this speed. The usual scenario is car parks, streets, driveways and so on.

@NextBase Tiffany I was more referring to a general situation. E.g I am parked up in a car park, the car in front reverses into my car, then drives off (car park no cctv). My footage if i am understanding will show the car driving off? No impact? So even if i have their licence plate and car details what use would that be to me? Insruance who look at the footage will say to me all i have is video of a car driving away that was parked in front of me.

Last edited:
Back