When Can We Expect the A129 Pro / 4K?

If someone lives in a hot as hell place, also have experience for testing dash cam, can contact us to get a sample to check.

If only i have been able to see into the future and foretell this weeks weather, just had a heatwave which are at least 3 days of temperatures over 28 degrees, and TBH i think the days was nearer to 30 degrees.
But of course i get sick at the same time :censored:, and i am afraid that was the top of the Danish summer for this year, next week only see temperatures around 20 - 25 degrees and even have rain the first 3 days, so normal Danish summer.

And thats why i have adopted AU as my home country, would feel so much better down there in sure.
Even if you have critters nastier than a tick that can bite me. :)
They hit 40+ too further down south, i think Belgium and Holland now have new thermal MAX temperatures, Germany too maybe.
This heat are now on its way to Greenland, which i assume will be a lot greener soon.

Yeah, it's pretty warm outside in Central Europe. :D

IMG_3342.PNG IMG_3341.PNG IMG_3340.PNG IMG_3339.PNG IMG_3338.PNG IMG_3337.PNG IMG_3336.PNG IMG_3335.PNG IMG_3334.PNG IMG_3333.PNG

Damn! Useless for Parking Mode in hot climate. What was the temperature outside?

I think the Check Republic also hit 40 degrees and maybe a little more, just shy of 43 i think was the max measured in EU yesterday.

I agree that we should remove the screen saver 'off' option, to reduce unnecessary heat, and to help users comply with their local laws where relevant.

Last edited:
And thats why i have adopted AU as my home country, would feel so much better down there in sure.
Even if you have critters nastier than a tick that can bite me. :)
They hit 40+ too further down south, i think Belgium and Holland now have new thermal MAX temperatures, Germany too maybe.
This heat are now on its way to Greenland, which i assume will be a lot greener soon.
According to the feedback, users reported heating issue are mainly from New Zeland.

Is it possible to turn screen on or off with one or two button presses?

It has a screen saver with some short time options, press a button for on, have to wait for off.
Minimum screen saver time on my prototype is 1 second!

If someone lives in a hot as hell place, also have experience for testing dash cam, can contact us to get a sample to check.

For a 4K + Full HD dashcam, the camera is very hot is normal, we need to make sure it can keep recording for a long time.
TL:DDR - Add me to the testing phase. (PM me) Consider my suggestions for reducing heat. Don't buy an iPhone 8 if you intend to use it in hot weather. Curious about Australian weather coming in the next 3 months.

May I suggest that you place your devices in a temperature controlled oven/s This is a common practice in some industries. Varying the temperature from one extreme to another will certainly challenge the design and give you a consistent reference.
You will still need to do real world tests but it might reduce some of the pain.

Honestly @viofo I would have thought by now you would know what you have to do to reduce the heat in your designs. Slabs of metal in the unit while great as a heat sink is going to absorb the heat from the windscreen I would think. While it may disperse the heat across the IC it may also hold the heat on the IC

The huge metal frame shield over the GPS unit might also be holding/capturing heat to the unit.

Keeping the memory card within specification is difficult as most products work up to about Operating Temperature-25℃ to 85℃ (Samsung Speed ClassGrade 3, Class 10) perhaps Storage Temperature-40℃ to 85℃ Celsius. Memory cards expect about 25°C ideally. ref:https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/evo-plus-microsd-card/MB-MC128GAAPC/

The computer freaks out there, would suggest "Water cooling it" - I'm joking. Would be interesting to see however. Odd selling point for hot climates and really cold climates as you could also run hot water through the system!

Of course I am interested in the testing phase and would like to be involved.

I modified an A119 Ver1 ages ago by creating more ventilation holes in the unit.
It was a very tedious task as I don't have a CNC machine and I shake holding a 1.5mm drill bit in a battery drill. But I did it and the unit could handle increased heat because it could vent the heat out of the enclosure and let if flow through.
One of my temperature testing devices actually melted its outer shell buckled the battery compartment and became totally disabled and it was on the outside of the car while the A119 was under glass on the inside! The A119 and for that matter all the other units I have ever seen, have never shown any signs of heat damage. Incredible plastics used. Screens don't like it as much but they haven't failed me.

Cable creep is another factor. Having the ribbon cable is a great idea but in some cases it seems to have been either crimped as it is assembled or due to the changes in weather makes the ribbon cable creep out of its socket which can make the unit appear to be unreliable.

@viofo has set themselves a huge but admirable task of placing the Dash Cam directly on the Glass of the Windscreen. The variations in temperature across the world on the windscreen would be a challenge to the best Thermal engineers as well as the Plastics that have to be used not forgetting the type of adhesive required. (Great that a company like 3M exists)
Many Dash Cams allow their camera's to dangle so they have cooler air all around them. Problem with that design can be that they will shake when driven over rough terrain e.g paddock bashing or 4x4 mountain climbing when you want the most stable video.

Here are some photos to explain what I did. I understand this is the old shape but you are re-using it for the A119V3 so it may be helpful.
Every place I could drill a hole I did. I had to avoid so internal components and be mindful that drilling holes in some places will reduce the integrity of the structure which will weaken it, so I avoided them.
Click on any picture to enlarge them. Note the first picture with the infrared meter is in the car WITH THE DOORS OPEN!!
NOTE the iPhone 8 had a hissy fit and overheated and it wasn't even stuck to the windscreen... POS
Temperature for that day This piece of junk started to deform from the sun.

Of course I am interested in the testing phase and would like to be involved.

If you live in Australia or is interested in our weather and want to be depressed a little (only a little) then just have a look at the point I place you at on the youtube from BOM. Credit Bureau of Meteorology.

If you really want to be depressed start the video from the beginning! The tricky part is understanding it lol.

May I suggest that you place your devices in a temperature controlled oven/s
Honestly @viofo I would have thought by now you would know what you have to do to reduce the heat in your designs.
They have been using ovens for testing for years!
But 4K does hugely increase the challenge, with 4x the number of pixels to read, process and store, while working within the same temperature limits.

The A119 and for that matter all the other units I have ever seen, have never shown any signs of heat damage. Incredible plastics used. Screens don't like it as much but they haven't failed me.
I think that shows that they do know how to design and test, while we have seen cameras from other manufacturers fail and the plastics melt.

34397767746_292f10504f_z-jpg.30645

20140925_073549_zps93944942.jpg

p1040016-jpg.7627

They have been using ovens for testing for years!
But 4K does hugely increase the challenge, with 4x the number of pixels to read, process and store, while working within the same temperature limits.

I think that shows that they do know how to design and test, while we have seen cameras from other manufacturers fail and the plastics melt.

34397767746_292f10504f_z-jpg.30645

20140925_073549_zps93944942.jpg

p1040016-jpg.7627
Hi Nigel thanks for the reply and compliment.
Love the photos you displayed they gave me a hearty laugh while inside I cried a little :)

I can't help but think it you are going to bother, bother doing it right. Granted not everyone knows the ins and outs of everything.

Cheers.

The Viofo A119 can even survive a WV Passat engine blowing up, that initial engine explosion that lights up the road is quite impressive!

Well, not sure that "survive" is quite right, but we do get to watch the car get burned to the ground and the dashcam is still in one piece with the recording intact!

The fire brigade arrived and put the fire out before complete destruction:

1564728474925.png

1564728521018.png

Last edited:
I guess it's likely to be the case that those of us who currently own an A129 DUO could simply swap the front cam and keep existing wiring and rear camera? (I'm assuming like with other models only the front camera would be 4k).

I guess it's likely to be the case that those of us who currently own an A129 DUO could simply swap the front cam and keep existing wiring and rear camera? (I'm assuming like with other models only the front camera would be 4k).
Yes, that will be the case, it works fine with an A129 Duo rear camera.

Yes, that will be the case, it works fine with an A129 Duo rear camera.
That would be great to not have to redo the cabling.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Viofo A119 can even survive a WV Passat engine blowing up, that initial engine explosion that lights up the road is quite impressive!
Blimey he floored that after the initial engine light beeped on - impressive performance from the Viofo camera there though.

As for the 4k Viofo cams I know they're tight inside but is there anyway something like a Raspberry Pi 5v fan would help get the heat away from the system board? In a hot car I guess you're always fighting a losing battle with heat.

Something like https://www.adafruit.com/product/3368 is pretty small.

Back