Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

3M Dual Lock wouldn't adhere reliably to my headliner, however, 3M Mounting Tape works great...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/3m-mounting-tape-£2-49-at-lidl-uk-supermarket.5264/

My front & rear Mobius cams are affixed to the headliner with this tape. The rear cam cradle is taped directly to the headliner.

View attachment 11577 View attachment 11578
You mentioned in your earlier posts that you used 3M Dual Lock, and now you changed to 3M Mounting Tape.
  1. Did you face any issues when you tried to remove the dual lock one? Did it damage or discolor the headliner?
  2. Did you any time remove the current 3M mounting tape from headliner?
My biggest concern is that I will damage or discolor the headliner when I remove the 3M tape in the future. I will most likely be selling my car in 1-2 years, so I don't want to get into any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned in your earlier posts that you used 3M Dual Lock, and now you changed to 3M Mounting Tape.
  1. Did you face any issues when you tried to remove the dual lock one? Did it damage or discolor the headliner?
  2. Did you any time remove the current 3M mounting tape from headliner?
My biggest concern is that I will damage or discolor the headliner when I remove the 3M tape in the future. I will most likely be selling my car in 1-2 years, so I don't want to get into any trouble.

The dual lock adhered so poorly to the headliner that it peeled off with no effect to the headliner.

My headliner is moulded plastic with a cloth-effect coating ... at least that's what it appears to be. For a while I used the mounting shown below. It was supplied with a piece of 3M VHB tape already affixed to it. When I removed it, it took a few fibres of headliner 'cloth' with it, but a little teasing with a soft brush & you wouldn't notice where the mounting had been.

image.jpg

Headliners probably vary somewhat from one car manufacturer to another, so your experience may differ from mine.

The dual lock adhered so poorly to the headliner that it peeled off with no effect to the headliner.
just use long screws, straight though the head liner into the roof and tighten them up, cam aint going nowhere.

For my rear Mobius camera mount I used a screw-in mount almost idential to @russ331's mount in the above photo. The problem was that under the headliner in my Toyota truck it was hollow and there was nothing for the screws to bite into. I was able to put a large wad of putty up under there and after that I had a very stable and secure mounting platform I could then screw into.

For my rear Mobius camera mount I used a screw-in mount almost idential to @russ331's mount in the above photo. The problem was that under the headliner in my Toyota truck it was hollow and there was nothing for the screws to bite into. I was able to put a large wad of putty up under there and after that I had a very stable and secure mounting platform I could then screw into.
Nice solution. I have a Rav4 that is similar to your truck and woul like to do so something similar. What type of putty did you use, and how hard does it get? Thanks in advance:)

You'll laugh when I tell you. In fact, somewhere here on DCT I've told this story before. Just around the time I did this little project, a local "dollar store" went out of business and they were selling everything at half price. One of the items they sold was Blu-Tack, a product well known to many of us here at DCT for temporary secure mounting of dash cams like the Mobius on a dashboard. So I bought a whole bunch of this stuff (three dollars worth!) without any idea of what I would ultimately do with it all and then when I needed to secure the camera ball joint mount right around that time I used a big wad of this stuff as a temporary solution up in there behind the headliner until I decided if I was happy with this type of mounting solution. It worked so well, that it has been there ever since. It not only secured the mount and gave me something surprisingly effective to screw into besides the headliner itself but it seems to absorb vibrations very well. Long term, a wad of Blu-tack can get pretty stiff if left alone but can be softened up again with kneading.

You'll laugh when I tell you. In fact, somewhere here on DCT I've told this story before. Just around the time I did this little project, a local "dollar store" went out of business and they were selling everything at half price. One of the items they sold was Blu-Tack, a product well known to many of us here at DCT for temporary secure mounting of dash cams like the Mobius on a dashboard. So I bought a whole bunch of this stuff (three dollars worth!) without any idea of what I would ultimately do with it all and then when I needed to secure the camera ball joint mount right around that time I used a big wad of this stuff as a temporary solution up in there behind the headliner until I decided if I was happy with this type of mounting solution. It worked so well, that it has been there ever since. It not only secured the mount and gave me something surprisingly effective to screw into besides the headliner itself but it seems to absorb vibrations very well. Long term, a wad of Blu-tack can get pretty stiff if left alone but can be softened up again with kneading.
Thanks a lot for the tip! Buying in bulk does work sometime though ;)

just use long screws, straight though the head liner into the roof and tighten them up, cam aint going nowhere.

Better still a couple of 4mm stainless threaded set pins + a couple of nuts with a dab of locktite and that's it you can if you wish stick a dummy DAB aerial over the protruding set pin heads and the job's a good'un:rolleyes:

Better still a couple of 4mm stainless threaded set pins + a couple of nuts with a dab of locktite and that's it you can if you wish stick a dummy DAB aerial over the protruding set pin heads and the job's a good'un:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are suggesting drilling holes and putting screws right up thorough the roof of the vehicle rather than just into the headliner itself. Personally, I believe doing so would be a really bad idea and wouldn't ever do such a thing to my vehicle. It seems foolish to deface, damage or alter the exterior body of a vehicle just to mount a dash cam, especially considering that it may be removed or swapped for an entirely different camera at a future date. I wouldn't want to lower the resale value of my vehicle by doing something like that either and when the time comes I certainly don't intend to sell my vehicle with mounted dash cams in it. I'll stick with a temporary but secure solution that allows me to easily put the vehicle back to its original condition.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Mounting my cam will be easy as pie, it'll be going in the usual spot behind the rear view mirror, as my wiper blades cover that area...
HOWEVER!...
My friend is impressed with my A118 and we've been talking about where he could mount his... His wiper blades sit (resting) up the outsides of the windscreen, and when active come down to the bottom of the windscreen from either side, leaving a triangle in the middle of the windscreen that isn't wiped...right behind the mirror!

Does anyone have any experience of this, or any photos of how they've overcome it, or any ideas for me as to how we could overcome it if he got an A118?

Here's a picture I've found online of the front of one, because I can't find any free site to upload photos to :). You can see the wipers up the sides.
Seat_Leon_1P_1.9_TDI_Stylance_Magicoschwarz_Front.JPG

Last edited:
It sounds like you are suggesting drilling holes and putting screws right up thorough the roof of the vehicle rather than just into the headliner itself. Personally, I believe doing so would be a really bad idea and wouldn't ever do such a thing to my vehicle. It seems foolish to deface, damage or alter the exterior body of a vehicle just to mount a dash cam, especially considering that it may be removed or swapped for an entirely different camera at a future date. I wouldn't want to lower the resale value of my vehicle by doing something like that either and when the time comes I certainly don't intend to sell my vehicle with mounted dash cams in it. I'll stick with a temporary but secure solution that allows me to easily put the vehicle back to its original condition.

Oh dear me I had no idea anyone would take my 'attempt at "Jollity" serious enough to respond in this way:eek:

@DashCamMk2 maybe he could use something like this:

Thanks a lot Tobby. I have something on mine called G1 by Gtechniq. It's essentially the same thing as you've just showed, but specifically for glass, not fabric.
It's really good stuff, and at 40mph+ I don't have to use my wipers at all, but at low speeds, in heavy rain, I'm fearful the camera might be snookered even if he has G1 on his glass!
Thanks though :)

I think maybe it'd have to be just off centre to the passenger side, and a little lower down the windscreen than would be hoped for, in order to get it in the range of the wiper! Only problem then is it's unsightly (not a huge issue) and will have to be removed every time the car is parked to stop it getting nicked!

Will have a think!

Oh dear me I had no idea anyone would take my 'attempt at "Jollity" serious enough to respond in this way:eek:

Hah! I first read your post at around three o'clock in the morning. I knew I should have walked straight past my office and gone back to bed.
Actually, to tell you the truth having seen quite a few ****amamy ideas put forth on DCT (along with all the good ones), it can sometimes be a little hard to tell them apart. :)

Edit: Really?! DCT's XenForo forum software censored the word c*ckamamy? Jeez!

Anyone had any experience fitting a front dashcam to a Xsara Picasso please?

windscreen wipers.jpg

Because the car has 'opposed' wipers, if I placed the cam behind the rear view mirror (out of my view), the cam would not be in within the area covered by the wipers. If I tried placing it so it was, it'd be below the mirror, obstruct my view and make the cam a very obvious target for thieves.

Any opinions on whether I should just place it behind the mirror any way, or place it in the top corner on the passenger side (it would still be about 5-6 inches below the top of the window)?

I plan to try putting a small folded paper box in each position to see how they each are.

Thanks

I would place the camera in the top most section of the windscreen that is covered by the wipers and aim it towards the center of the hood. (bonnet for you Commonwealth blokes :))

Back