Which cam has the best image/video quality?

SoCalDashCammer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all-

So I know a bunch of the market leading/best selling cameras have a ton of features like accident detection, radar detection, GPS, etc. That's all well and good but based on the limited number of video footage I've seen, they many of these still lack in image quality. The only dash cam that I've seen impressive footage from is the Dome D201, but I know the company doesn't have the best rep for customer service/consumer-focus like most of the other brands. What would you guys recommend, based purely on image/video quality ($500 or less)? Is there anything better than the D201 in terms of image/video quality?

Thanks in advance!

I dont think the d201 is anything special, i am quite sure a lot of other cameras would have done just as good if they had been on the windscreen in the same car that day the footage that impress you was recorded.

Most cameras still need a perfect storm of things to come together to make the really impressive footage, just a little bit of something missing from the equation and instantly the footage is less impressive.
A little lower light - a less clean windscreen and so on.

I dont think the d201 is anything special, i am quite sure a lot of other cameras would have done just as good if they had been on the windscreen in the same car that day the footage that impress you was recorded.

Most cameras still need a perfect storm of things to come together to make the really impressive footage, just a little bit of something missing from the equation and instantly the footage is less impressive.
A little lower light - a less clean windscreen and so on.
Hey kamkar1 - thanks for your reply!

I've seen a bunch of the Youtube footage and basically all of them look really great IMO, esp when I've looked at other camera's footage on Youtube. One of the reviewers on this site (AndrewL I think) said in his video review that it was the best image quality of any dash cam he's reviewed (even though he ultimately didn't recommend the camera due to the lack of customer support etc).

If customer support / care is big for you then Street guardian is the top dog to my knowledge.

Hey kamkar1 - thanks for your reply!

I've seen a bunch of the Youtube footage and basically all of them look really great IMO, esp when I've looked at other camera's footage on Youtube. One of the reviewers on this site (AndrewL I think) said in his video review that it was the best image quality of any dash cam he's reviewed (even though he ultimately didn't recommend the camera due to the lack of customer support etc).

I agree with you, I sometimes look at the Russian driver videos and often wonder what camera they are using.

Question to anyone. What is the leading Russian camera that's purchased ?

Advocam seem popular. ( what ever it is )

But you can often determine what camera it is by the lettering in the footage, at least i seem to think it is easy to point out ambrella based cameras from Novatek based cameras.

I think it is often a matter of the circumstances where and when the footage is recorded, you can see stunning footage from cameras that is famous for focus shifting, but i assume that footage is then taken before the camera go wacky.

I have seen all my cameras act strange, some time i look at footage expecting nothing cuz the weather was bad, and then to my surprise i find lots of good looking footage.
And the other way around expecting to find nothing but good footage as it have been a good day, and then most of what i have recorded that day is less than enjoying to watch.

Its now to a level where i sort of think the little cameras are wonder-generators, sometimes its really positive wonders, and other times its head shaking and you just sit there staring at the computer monitor thinking WTF o_O

One thing for sure, aside for the waylens there is not really any dashcam out there with some secret sauce to it.
And the waylens is by no means so special, but it is build with a slightly different approach than most dashcams.

Question to anyone. What is the leading Russian camera that's purchased ?

I don't think anyone would know, there are far too many models sold under many different names to know who does what and how many are sold

yeah advocam seem to put their name on just about anything, if you google it and look at images you will see just about any housing out there.

Back