Who's looking forward to the new 622 coming out?

I would call standard setting as 1080, with 4k as high setting?
Not 100% sure tbh, it only lists 4k as the "recording resolution" in that list so would have thought standard setting would be 4k? I could be wrong though.

Was looking at the camera specs on both the 622 and 612 and it's a close call between them just the 612 has a 150 degree 7G lense to the 622 6G 140 degree lense. Could anyone shed some light on what the 7 and 6G is about?

Attachments

• 20200728_143317.jpg
    20200728_143317.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200728-143153_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-143153_Word.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 16
Could anyone shed some light on what the 7 and 6G is about?
The number of elements in the lens, and the G indicates they are glass not plastic.

There is no way of knowing from those numbers which is better, generally more elements result in better image quality, but they also lose light and contrast so more than sufficient is not good.

Does it really have a 3.78 MegaPixel sensor? That is less than half what is required for real 4K...
(It says 5.49MP, but it is a 4:3 sensor, and if you only use a 16:9 area then it is 2592x1458.)

The number of elements in the lens, and the G indicates they are glass not plastic.

There is no way of knowing from those numbers which is better, generally more elements result in better image quality, but they also lose light and contrast so more than sufficient is not good.

Does it really have a 3.78 MegaPixel sensor? That is less than half what is required for real 4K...
(It says 5.49MP, but it is a 4:3 sensor, and if you only use a 16:9 area then it is 2592x1458.)
I'm not to sure on that stuff, not massively clued up on the little specs of cameras. From a perspective of someone that knows their stuff about cameras does it look massively better than the 612 on paper spec wise?

From a perspective of someone that knows their stuff about cameras does it look massively better than the 612 on paper spec wise?
The lens specification in your Nextbase 622 spec is the same as is in the Nextbase 522 specification, and the sensor resolution is less than in the 522 specification. The recording resolution is listed as 4K instead of 2K for the 522 which should make it a better camera, but we need an explanation of how it is going to create 4K detail from a sensor with less resolution than the 2K Nextbase 522!

Maybe the specification is wrong, given that everyone is expecting a 4K camera?

Ooooh. The things that these manufacturers do to reel in the gullible. Does it even mention interpolated, as that's about the only way to get 4k from a 5.49 MP sensor (Even if you were using all of it).
How about an anamorphic lens and playback? Would that work?

How about an anamorphic lens and playback? Would that work?
I think you know the answer to that!

Basically, every 2nd pixel will need to be duplicated, both horizontally and vertically, which means no smooth diagonal lines, and then your image will be too big (48 pixels too many horizontally, so you either need to remove some pixels in the middle of the image, spoiling diagonal lines even more, or more likely you just crop the sensor image and only use a 2560x1440 area, which is what most of us know of as 2K. (3.69 MegaPixels, real 4K is 8.29 MegaPixels, 2.25x more information.)

Does it even mention interpolated, as that's about the only way to get 4k from a 5.49 MP sensor (Even if you were using all of it).
The only mention of a 5.49MP sensor in the user manual is in the specifications, after which it says "Recording Resolution: 3840×2160 @ 30 FPS day & night"

It does say in the user manual: " Notes: - When EIS is turned on with the resolution set at 4K, the resolution will be 2704 x 1520 expanded to 4K . ", but that makes no sense if they only have "Sensor Resolution: 5.49M Pixel (2592 x 1944)" to start with and you need to lose some more to allow for EIS adjustments, unless the EIS only corrects for vertical movements!

I think you know the answer to that!
Thanks for that info. I just assumed that anamorphic lens just 'squiged' horizontally.
When EIS is turned on with the resolution set at 4K, the resolution will be 2704 x 1520 expanded to 4K
and that's an 'expansion' (invention?) of about 1.42:eek:

and that's an 'expansion' (invention?) of about 1.42:eek:
Since it is a 2D image, not 1D, the amount of information you need to invent is 1.42² = 2.02x, however, as I pointed out before, their sensor isn't 2704 pixels wide, even before they cut off the edges to allow the EIS to work, so the maths doesn't give the right answer anyway.

The 4K image is only going to contain the amount of real detail that can be captured on their 2K sensor, which is the same amount that a 2K camera captures, and if you want to use the EIS then you need to lose another 10% of the detail to allow for the image to move around the sensor. You can't record what the sensor can't see, unless it is imaginary detail, but imaginary detail is useless as evidence.

Since it is a 2D image, not 1D, the amount of information you need to invent is 1.42² = 2.02x, however, as I pointed out before, their sensor isn't 2704 pixels wide, even before they cut off the edges to allow the EIS to work, so the maths doesn't give the right answer anyway.

The 4K image is only going to contain the amount of real detail that can be captured on their 2K sensor, which is the same amount that a 2K camera captures, and if you want to use the EIS then you need to lose another 10% of the detail to allow for the image to move around the sensor. You can't record what the sensor can't see, unless it is imaginary detail, but imaginary detail is useless as evidence.

Love a bit of science to prove/disprove facts. Thanks for that

You can't record what the sensor can't see

This always. Includes lens size, lens quality, low-light functioning, and everything. It's why we've got a "fake 4K" thread here on DCT and if you read that you'll find more fakes than real ones and that's still continuing :eek:

Phil

This always. Includes lens size, lens quality, low-light functioning, and everything. It's why we've got a "fake 4K" thread here on DCT and if you read that you'll find more fakes than real ones and that's still continuing :eek:

Phil
I wonder if it originally had a 4K sensor, but the heat kept puffing the batteries up, so during the delay they replaced it with a 2K sensor, but kept the specification and high price?

Could still be a good camera, but with that sensor specification it is a 2K camera whatever the "recording resolution", and it is still a battery based camera in a world belonging to the super capacitor cameras.

Nextbase ain't what they used to be so I'm not surprised by anything they do (or don't do) anymore :(

Everyone who has ventured into making true 4K dashcams has had a very rough time with things because it's at the limits of the technology being used. We're still at least one step away from really good 4K dashcams, maybe further :cautious: Till then (and as always here too) I'd recommend going for reliability first, then choosing from whatever's left on that list.

Phil

I agree, NB took their eye off the ball with the series 2.

Is the 612 a true 4K Dashcam or is that kind of cheated to its 4K status aswell ?

Is the 612 a true 4K Dashcam or is that kind of cheated to its 4K status aswell ?
The old Nextbase 612 has a Sony IMX317 4K image sensor, same as the Viofo A129 Pro. A good 4K sensor.

The image is spoiled significantly by using a low bitrate for the recordings, image quality is significantly lower than the Viofo, but yes, it is a genuine 4K camera.

The 622 will probably do better than the 612 in lower light conditions, but it shouldn't claim to be a 4K camera, on sunny days it will have less than half the detail of a real 4K camera.

(Assuming the specification in the user manual is correct?)

The old Nextbase 612 has a Sony IMX317 4K image sensor, same as the Viofo A129 Pro. A good 4K sensor.

The image is spoiled significantly by using a low bitrate for the recordings, image quality is significantly lower than the Viofo, but yes, it is a genuine 4K camera.

The 622 will probably do better than the 612 in lower light conditions, but it shouldn't claim to be a 4K camera, on sunny days it will have less than half the detail of a real 4K camera.

(Assuming the specification in the user manual is correct?)
Thanks for clearing that up. Yes the 612 is great in the day, but at night the picture quality is very grainy and unclear which is a massive let down, my 312 was better in the dark tbh. Yet to try the 522 in the dark so will be interesting to see what that is like. I'm currently running the 612 up front and the 522 in the rear.

After reading this I don't think I'll bother buying the 622, seems alot of dosh for what it is.

After reading this I don't think I'll bother buying the 622, seems alot of dosh for what it is.
Wait and see what arrives, and what the reviewers say before giving up on it! So far we seem to be going purely on what is written in a user manual that could be inaccurate.

The advert does say:
"The 622GW is more accurate, faster, more powerful and critically has a better image quality than any Dash Cam currently available."
which doesn't match what we are seeing in the specification, and we don't know which is wrong.

Some people may like the specification that says it will do 2K at 60fps, there have been a lot of people asking for that, although personally I don't think 60fps is useful for a dashcam, it is rare for things to move so fast that 30fps is not fast enough.

The only other innovative new features that look useful are "what3words", which I would have thought would be more conveniently run on your phone where it can also give you a map so you can check: https://what3words.com/how-to-use-the-what3words-app/ , and "Image Stabilisation", which is pretty pointless on a dashcam unless you have it mounted on a toy car without decent suspension.

When I look back at my old 402 and 412 they would have benefitted from IS. When you look at the footage you don't immediately realise until you look closely at the parked windscreen wipers how much vibration is transferred to the dashcam via the ball joint system.

The 412 footage was good on smooth motorways but not so on poorly maintained town and country roads.

Take the dashcams that have a solid mount and they stay rock solid regardless of road surface and the wipers and dash don't appear to vibrate.

Wait and see what arrives, and what the reviewers say before giving up on it!
They will say that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. They always do!
My guess would be that it's a really bad typo in the spec. Well, I hope so anyway.

It would be nice if it was indeed 4K, and hardware that are 1 upping current 4K hardware, if they just keep making 4K as it is now from a few brands thats no good ( well for me anyway )

Back