Why not parking mode on the side cameras in a 4-camera/ch setup?

You could go with a camera with proper prebuffered parking guard in the front and then a mobius to cover your rear, that will be a little more expensive of course, and for optimal use i would then reverse into parking bays along the outer perimeter of the parking lot ( maybe even a corner bay so in theory ppl should then approach your car from 2 sides )
Also if you park towards the back of the lot, then i bet most ppl park in the front of it, so when they approach your car it will be from the front of it.
And parking in reverse should be no problem for a good driver.
And when you upgrade down the road you could offload that on the wifes car or another loved one.

All but the SG9665GC from street guardian have prebuffered recording, so i would be tempted to go for something like the SGZC12RC in the front.

But if its vandalism that's haunting you, then the person doing it should be focused on ppl not seeing him do it, so his approach to your car should be pretty strait forward casual and no sneaking in between the cars.

These kind of people is already on a overload level on their brain from the moment they decide to key your car, so in many cases i think they will walk strait up to your car and get in place, and then have a quick look around before they do their evil deed.

Just like this guy.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/jeep-keyed-at-gym-on-cam.21529/

Last edited:
Oooh, I found that video earlier. What a jerk! Where we park, there are a couple of entrances and an open driving lane that goes all around the parameter between the parking lot and the fence. There are about six rows with diagonal, nose-to-nose parking. We aren't supposed to pull all the way through and have our noses sticking out the back even with everyone else's rears, if that makes sense. On the day my car was keyed, I was right up front, parked in front of the unmanned turnstile. Not on the "A" side --that's handicapped parking only-- but on the "B" side of the same row. Twat-waffle had to either pass through empty handicapped or come up behind me from one of the outer rows to do his/her dirty business, and it's pretty deep, down to the metal. I have the feeling that they were raging so much they didn't care *who* saw them, since the metal is actually indented from the force of the cuts. Cheap aluminum can material, they wouldn't have been able to do it with my 1974 Mercury Land Barge.

One of the most irritating things about my dash cam fails, especially the Kenwood, was the lack of any people or cars in many of the frames: It was as if the parking mode was being activated too late or something. "Always on" is sounding more and more like the only way to go with such a project: If my current stock battery isn't up to the task, I'll just have to see about a battery upgrade. Thank you.

Mercury have made a few cars i would not mind owning, maybe also one i would have a coachbuilder leadsled a "little"

I remember the early 70ties car free Sundays and as i was learning to swim back then ( aged 8 in 1972 ) i remember all pools was closed but one and that one was so cold water i only went there 1 time, and so ended my leaning to swim days, until they tried the same in school some years later.

Damn lotto gods better get their act together, i am getting close to now or never if some of my dreams should come true.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact figures but Mobius doesn't draw a lot of power so running 2 during a work shift should be OK. I run 3 cams all night when I forget to shut the auxiliary cams off but I've got a pretty big battery. 2 should e fine. And a 64GB card is about 9 hours of recording time. Mobius is one of a few cams which can generally run 24/7 though that is not recommended. Mine goes a while week before shutdown to check it and it hasn't failed me even through some very hot days. For your purposes I recommend it, along with Transcend 64GB MicroSDXC 400x cards. You'll have to format then to FAT32 outside of the cam on your PC first, then format again in Mobius.

For your purposes it might be better to mount the cams pointing inward on diagonally opposite corners up high- that should give 360 degree coverage other than where the roof pillars are and they're not wide enough to be a problem up close to the car. Done like this someone would darn near have to be looking for hidden cameras from the inside to see them which is the level of discretion you need. It also allows you to say they were intended for interior recording should someone want to give you grief for having the cams :cool: They just happened to see the a-hole outside too ;)

If the lot is on public property nobody has the right to ask you not to take videos, not even the Police (read wikipedia "Glik v Cunniffe" for an understanding of your filming rights- note that audio isn't covered, only video). If your employer requires you to park in that lot they are responsible to protect your property while it's there unattended. These points give you leverage against any HR or management boffins who want to flex their muscles, and if they persist, have your lawyer sue them for a civil rights violation where you can get up up 3X any damages which include your Mobius cams which you had to buy to do their security job for them :p If you're in Cali their butts will be toast trying to fight a case like this but it's winnable in any state :D

Phil

Thanks for the great technical info, Phil. If I don't use them while driving (about an hour a day) and just have the cams "always on" for the 12 hours my car is parked at work, maybe the Mobius's will be able to take it, at least for a few months. They will have 12 hours on, 12 hours off, 3 or 4 days each week. Even if I have to go out and change out SD cards mid-shift, it will be so worth it to maybe discover who hates me and/or my car. Thanks again.

Last edited:
It cant be a true TEXAN vandalizing your car, got to be someone that moved there recently. :)

It cant be a true TEXAN vandalizing your car, got to be someone that moved there recently. :)

We've got all kinds here already, Kam. Skalawags, jayhawkers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, bass-kickers, spit-kickers and Methodists. I'm sure my own personal little dingleberry is descended from a long line of Scotch-Irish white trash barn-burners. Heck, I'm half Scotch-Irish myself. Also, half Norwegian: All four of dad's grandparents came to the USA, up the Mighty Mississippi to places like Minnesota and Iowa, then back down to Texas (a couple of siblings), thanks to WWII and Korea. Uffameg! That's all I remember. Besides my grandmother's excellent kringles at Christmas. Mange tusen takk for the memories.

I can see the Trump - Clinton debate is about to kick off ( yeah it get televised live over here too )
So i better call it a day as its also 3 AM over here soon.
I have to get up "early" tomorrow and go for a little drive to pick up some materials for a DIY dashmat for my car.

I love that speech from Blazing saddles :)

Back