Why Rear Camera?

super max

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus on Blendmount
I've got an extra Mobius that I'm thinking of for a rear camera. But I wonder, why bother. At least in the US a hit from the rear is presumed to be the fault of the other driver, my experience over 20+ years. So why should I add another camera to capture that 1% of videos that might be of value to me in an accident?

I've got an extra Mobius that I'm thinking of for a rear camera. But I wonder, why bother. At least in the US a hit from the rear is presumed to be the fault of the other driver, my experience over 20+ years. So why should I add another camera to capture that 1% of videos that might be of value to me in an accident?

useful for when you get tapped from behind and the person takes off, it happens

I have had a mobius in the rear for a while, and truth be told its not the camera i pull the bulk of my footage off.

But in a fjew cases where stupid have started behind me and then passed by my camera on the right side of my car and then end up in front of my car, it have been a good addition to the total package i was able to mix up for the good ppl on youtube.

I am sure if i was a bit more focussed on the rear camera i would find more footage on it, it must be cuz i often see a lot of stupid in my mirrors.

But if it is just for proof in case of somthing, then its my firm belief most things can be handled fine by just 1 camera in the front of a car.
But thats not the reason my car have more cameras than a medium sized CBS studio :D

Many of us in here started out with 1 camera, and then it turned into a addiction of sorts :)

Because I've seen too many people on this site say "If only I would have had a rear camera...."

The deciding factor for me was the cost of an extra camera....still didn't add up to the price of my insurance deductible that I would have to pay in the event of an accident or incident where it couldn't be proven that it wasn't my fault.

Speaking of rear cameras; has anyone tapped into the power supply of say a parking light?

Rear cam can help put things into context. Sometimes your actions are modified because of what is happening behind you. Sometimes the dangerous driving which leads to (or almost leads to) an accident begins behind you and the police would be very interested to see how another vehicle was being driven beforehand.
My wife was cut up badly on a roundabout by a car moving from the inside lane, across three lanes in front of her - only just missing her due to her slight swerve. If there had been an 'accident' the other driver would have said it was plainly an accident. But the rear cam showed the other driver had deliberately undertaken and then cut up - nothing 'accidental' about it - which would not be looked on as kindly.

Shows tailgating, where they overtook you from, loads of reasons to have a rear camera.

Rear cam can help put things into context. Sometimes your actions are modified because of what is happening behind you.

Sometimes the dangerous driving which leads to (or almost leads to) an accident begins behind you and the police would be very interested to see how another vehicle was being driven beforehand.

My wife was cut up badly on a roundabout by a car moving from the inside lane, across three lanes in front of her - only just missing her due to her slight swerve.

If there had been an 'accident' the other driver would have said it was plainly an accident. But the rear cam showed the other driver had deliberately undertaken and then cut up - nothing 'accidental' about it - which would not be looked on as kindly.

I agree and I hope you don't mind me spacing pertinent points.

I can't wait to buy 2 of juuvoos for front and rear.

I'm dealing with a guy who is providing all kinds of excuses about why the police report says he was at fault and why he got a ticket. A rear facing camera would have shown I was telling the truth about his bad driving habits before the accident and that he is currently lying. The front would have shown that I didn't leave my lane and I'd be in the clear, but with the provided rear footage their insurance could choose to drop him for lying and if he was the one that filed a police report he could be cited for filing a false one.

More reasons to have one than to not.

Last edited:
Have all the coverage that you can, but yes the front cam is going to do 98% of the work.

With 'road rage' on the rise, a rear cam provides a history of events before they happened, and if you acted properly by trying to get out of some idiots way. It will also show that you were paying enough attention to your driving so that you were acting safely regards other traffic. I think side cams (especially on the driver's side) might be equally useful as long as they gave some rear view up close. Those cams don't do the main job of identifying so can be lesser ones- up close they should be enough and the front cam will likely make a positive ID.

And adding a rear cam is the perfect excuse to put a better one up front while putting the old one in the back :D

Phil

Fair enough but not absolutely needed these days surely............

In saying that and now that I think about it........ All Police now have FHD cameras on their chest.

Not an essential tool in your armoury but, as well as the reasons above, a rear cam could also show some dickhead hooning down the empty lane just as you enter a roundabout in the correct lane.
I'm still waiting to hear from our insurance about the idiot in the van that cut me up on the roundabout - despite a witness who would testify to the guy speeding down an empty lane.
A rear cam would show that he entered this lane (for example) 10 cars back, average 12ft per car = 120ft. Covering this distance in X seconds - therefore he was travelling way faster than his claimed 25mph & possibly way, way faster than the posted 30mph speed limit.

Years ago, I had a mini drive into the back of me, shunting me forward so I almost his the car in front. This left the mini enough space to pull around me & suicidally pull into fast traffic to get away. My front cam only caught the back of the car in front of me. The rear cam caught nothing since I didn't have one. Made a few marks on my plastic bumper & bent all my brackets for my cycle carrier. Even a cheap camera would've got them bang to rights.

Thanks guys, lots of good reasons to have a rear cam. I have a spare Mobius with the wide-angle "C" lens that I will use in the rear. Now to explore ways of powering it.

Speaking of rear cameras; has anyone tapped into the power supply of say a parking light?
I'm planning to power my Mobius by tapping into the rear dome light in an SUV. I may have to locate the 12v to 5v converter near the camera or inline with the cable as it won't fit in the dome light cavity.

I'm planning to power my Mobius by tapping into the rear dome light in an SUV. I may have to locate the 12v to 5v converter near the camera or inline with the cable as it won't fit in the dome light cavity.

This is the way to go with any dedicated dual cam and is actually very easy to do with a search.

I was thinking about just powering mine to my parking lights; I always have my headlights on, but I do like the dome light idea. I also have a light in the trunk of my hatchback, I just don't know if it's always powered or ignition powered. Guess I'll just have to see what works best for tucking wires.

I just ran a USB extension cable down the side of the car for my mobius, works fine.

If someone hammers you from the back and gives you spinal or whip lash injuries (very common), you have footage to prove how hard you were hit.

Without that, how do you prove it. It can only be inferred from the damage to your bumper... and that sets things up for a debate with the other party's insurance company who will claim you're exaggerating.

Back