Will this be the new H.265 dash camera processor for Mobius 2?

Did further checking, it use hi silicon chipset,support h.265, 30fps, different design, smaller.

Thanks for the info @DashCamMan
One thing about Novatek, there are not good to share new information to the public. I can see the roadmap is date back in 2012. I wonder if there is any plan after the end of the year.
Nothing comes up if you google on NT96680 0r NT9668x
Currently Novatek still focus on NTK96660.
Regarding new chipset support 4K and H.265, if the 4K is becoming more popular next year, they will release this NT9668x.

I just bought 9 x of the 0806s. I'm very happy with my purchase - zero buyer's remorse. I don't anticipate upgrading anytime soon. That said, if a 4K version were to show up, I'd be first in line to upgrade. Drooling...

if the 4K is becoming more popular next year, they will release this NT9668x.

What came first the chicken or the egg.
I didn't know there was an "if" about 4K.

So if a manufacture today request information from Novatek about a chipset there can encode H.265. You will get an answer like "Sorry, come back later"

Any company that wishes to succeed will stay up with the technology their market calls for so NT will do that as will all the rest. Or they will lose market and go broke.

Phil

would just be a bot, would't worry about it, they're just doing it for random search engine traffic hoping to get clicks on their ads

would just be a bot, would't worry about it, they're just doing it for random search engine traffic hoping to get clicks on their ads
Thanks for fast answer, I will let it go. I got u-block, so I don't see any adds.

the page was full of ad banners, they're just scraping random stuff from forums everywhere so that they turn up in search engine traffic

Me too, I am wondering if there will be a updated version of the mobius. That can do 1080p 60fps, perhaps h265 as it saves on filesize, increased bitrate to something like maximum 40Mbit or something. Another bonus would be support for 128Gb cards or even larger. The bigger the card, the longer it will last as overwriting and use of card will be less, it just takes longer for it to die.

The mobius is so cheap it is perfect for a permanent dashcam in the car, you can hide it or just modify it to fit your needs. And because it is cheap, not having to worry about someone stealing it from the car. You can always get a new one.

Last edited:
perhaps h265 as it saves on filesize
After watching a lot of requests made for GitUp cameras to increase the bitrate even was no guarantee will improve quality, I have the feeling that people don't care about space on card. Maybe usually they are recording short videos.
The same feeling is telling me that people want H265 just because is something new.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah well, it would be nice with a bit higher bitrate anyway, I feel 1080p needs about 25Mbit to capture fast motion and not get to much blocks in the picture, perhaps not more than 30Mbit is needed, but then again a 95% of the video dashcams capture are just dumped, you only want to keep the interesting parts. But with support for increased microSD like 128GB size, that extra bitrate is not problem.

h265 is pretty good, if you watch some videos about it, where they explain how everything works. It is more or less improved h264, and in best case saves about 50% of total filesize, and worst case just 10-15% it all depends on what you are recording. The reason it would be great for dashcams is to get smaller files and increase storage on current microSD cards, as most of the data is dumped anyway.
Recording with a DSLR you capture what you want to save, no real need for h265 as it will help nothing with quality of what you are recording.

After watching a lot of requests made for GitUp cameras to increase the bitrate even was no guarantee will improve quality, I have the feeling that people don't care about space on card. Maybe usually they are recording short videos.
The same feeling is telling me that people want H265 just because is something new.

enjoy,
Mtz
Used my Git2 on the bicycle on Sunday, started with empty 64GB card and loop recording on, after a 4 hour ride I had a full card and had lost the first 40 minutes - The high bitrate does give better quality, but it is a small gain for a large loss in record time.

H265 should be able to give better quality, but better quality means more information and bigger file sizes. It will only reduce file sizes if you let it throw away the information you don't see, but if you do that then you can't adjust the light levels etc. during editing as the detail you want to reveal will have been thrown away.

The only camera currently using H265 is the Samsung NX1. Sure you'll get an improvement with bitrates but currently Vimeo nor YouTube support H265. Further more, you want to edit those files? Get Adobe Premiere as iMovie or Windows Movie Maker or any 'free' editor does not currently support H265. Sure they'll add support over time but that time is not for a while. Maybe in a year or so. However H265 will be old tech and a new codec will be around. VP9 is already better than H265 and Google is rumoured to be updating it further to provide even better results, so if I were a camera company my next product would be looking ahead and seeing how you can incorporate VP9.

H265 is good - really good, no question, but at the moment the 'video community' is about 6months to a year away from embracing it fully. Maybe everyone needs a nudge who knows - I'll guess we'll see when some H265 cameras are released.

High Efficiency Video Coding (H.265) is merely the successor to Advanced Video Coding (H.264) and offers improved, more efficient compression. In many ways, it is being introduced to accommodate 4K video and to go hand in hand with newer generations of processors. It all just corresponds with the larger, faster and dramatically cheaper memory cards that are part of the evolution of miniature digital video we are all witnessing and enjoying.

Last edited:
Back