Windows 10

I'm guessing it's because it needs access to admin restricted areas to verify you have a valid activation key and to kick off the upgrade process. The TP ISOs don't require a valid existing OS so there's no issues with releasing a generic ISO install. This is the first free OS upgrade MS has offered, so they need a way to control the process to prevent or at least limit piracy. Also because it's free, they're probably anticipating a much greater demand and need a way to control bandwidth rather than just let anyone and everyone download multi GB ISOs at will.

KuoH

ugh... why does a stinkin DOWNLOAD tool need admin rights? and why can't i just download the ISO like i did with all the different tech preview versions?

I'm guessing it's because it needs access to admin restricted areas to verify you have a valid activation key and to kick off the upgrade process. The TP ISOs don't require a valid existing OS so there's no issues with releasing a generic ISO install. This is the first free OS upgrade MS has offered, so they need a way to control the process to prevent or at least limit piracy. Also because it's free, they're probably anticipating a much greater demand and need a way to control bandwidth rather than just let anyone and everyone download multi GB ISOs at will.

KuoH
that makes sense, except that apparently they're allowing even pirated copies of win7/8.x to be upgraded for free. so if you're going to allow that, then just put a regular old ISO out there and be done. i spoze they'll need another method for people who don't know what to do with an ISO, and apparently windows update is that mechanism.

we may experiment with an in-place upgrade, but in the corporate world, we'll also be upgrading a lot of interconnecting apps (MS Office, document management system, PDF tools, metadata removal tools, etc) all at the same time, so a wipe/reimage makes the best sense for us.

Apparently it might take a week for the built in update method to popup. I went ahead and followed the link.

Here we go!
WWnsvSR.png

DthfHgC.png

I've read some debate about that and I believe the consensus is it will allow the upgrade to proceed, but the resulting install will not be activated until/unless a valid product key is provided. They will get the not genuine nag messages and whatever other limitations that are imposed until activation is successful.

KuoH

that makes sense, except that apparently they're allowing even pirated copies of win7/8.x to be upgraded for free.

Ha ha i have just butchered the start menu, and disabled a whole lot of BS i dont need.

All i have in start now is, settings & turn off computer, and under the settings i have disabled a lot of stuff, most of it under protection of personal information.

MS is like ????? dude the guy installed win 10 a fjew houres ago, and he have allready transformed it to a slim version of win 7 :D

I just got back to the office to check on my Lenovo W520 Windows 10 install. Everything was working except for audio. (no sound, I check/tested default playback devices, test failed)
I reinstalled the Conexant 20672 SmartAudio driver. Lenovo page says it's Windows 10 compatible. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds032124
After a reboot sound is back in action!

rhBUN4b.png

when i format my C drive there is allways somthing i forget
You should change the HDD structure. Personally I like more to have the HDD partitioned based on type of files I have on it: OS, documents, programs, media files
downloading as 6 megabytes a second
Lucky you :D; I'm at 1 Mbps at its best, but not today because since two days ago my modem went crazy again: connecting/disconnecting ...
So i will start over it seem and just choose the 64 bit which i have been on since it came to be for windows computers.
No reason for 32bit
I might be in for some tweaking when i get under the skin of this OS
Give a chance to http://www.classicshell.net/ , unlock apps from taskbar, TaskBar->Never Combine, Toolbar->NewToolbar (quicklaunch buttons) ...and you'll get something similar to Windows XP in the end
I'm using 8.1; I have no problem at all (only some weird problems with some virtual applications, windows audio device graph isolation and safely remove for external HDD). I don't know why people are complaining. Also, you can make it to look almost identically with 7.
I only have one machine capable of handle the 10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800x600
to remove OneDrive and all the other modern apps, aka BLOATWARE/shovelware/CRAP
If they don't start with the system, then there's no problem. Also, startups, taskschedulers can be disabled.
why does a stinkin DOWNLOAD tool need admin rights? and why can't i just download the ISO like i did
Probably because for the "Update" option it uses "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" while only for ISO you can chose were to save the downloaded packages.
I'm guessing it's because it needs access to admin restricted areas to verify you have a valid activation key and to kick off the upgrade process.
Tested on 3 days left virtual machine of Windows7x64 (which has been "fixed" initially but it seems that it got sick again :) ); the download works, 2% ...but I had to stop it (my internet connection can't afford this right now; maybe all the night). I think it's because for update it will need to save the files in Windows folder.
The TP ISOs don't require a valid existing OS so there's no issues with releasing a generic ISO install.
About the license:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?
Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Does it mean that initially I have to update my OS, then I could reinstall it from scratch because my hardware parameters were already saved on Microsoft servers ?
If it's like this, I don't really like it.

that apparently they're allowing even pirated copies of win7/8.x to be upgraded for free.
"almost" ...they'll become unlicensed versions.
i spoze they'll need another method for people who don't know what to do with an ISO, and apparently windows update is that mechanism.
There is also the option "Update".

@Pier28 ...yep ...thanks ...as I was expecting; they removed the "Stereo Mix". :mad:

got microfone disablet too, though its allso disabled on the broken headset i use for no sound, the kamera is allso disabled, only place i have cameras is in my car, and in a drawer not connected to the computer :D

The Zebra LP 2844-Z shipping label printer works great still on Windows 10 so far.
(that's the most important thing for me)

It's time to poke around some more and get familiar with what's new or changed.

When i press the icon on the task bar ( right side corner ) for my realtek onbord soundcard i get " you see a blank page as there is no sound devise connected to the system, if you plug one in this will change"

My headset is plugged in. but maybe win 10 can detect its not working,,, i dunno maybe one day i will be able to afford a new headset.

I've been running the technical preview for months now. I kinda like it, but i sure hope they make it easy to remove OneDrive and all the other modern apps, aka BLOATWARE/shovelware/CRAP... it's like the 90s (or current smartphones) all over again, except it's coming from the OS, not the PC/phone vendor/carrier.

part of my day job is i am responsible for creating the gold image that every single PC in the entire company gets, so i have to find that stuff out. now that we're finally RTM (final, no longer beta), i can begin real testing on the stripping down and repackaging process, since they locked out a lot of that in the technical previews.
Since you've been kind of using '10' for a while maybe you can answer this. Do you have any experience in running legacy 'XP' and '7' software. I have a couple of applications that work just fine on those OS's but for the life of me I can't get them running on '8' (I admit I haven't tried very hard since I 'hate 8'. :D )

everything i had running on win 7 allso work for 10, i have not installed anything new ( to the system ) havent even bothered with games in the latest 2 format c:
And my hardware is 3-4 years old by now, GEN 3 SSD - nvidia GTX 570 and a "standart screen" i have not been able to get drivers for since i was on win XP or vista at least.

for my realtek onbord soundcard i get " you see a blank page as there is no sound devise connected to the system, if you plug one in this will change"
.... And my hardware is 3-4 years old by now, GEN 3 SSD - nvidia GTX 570
I conclude that you have a desktop. Are you connecting your headsets on audio frontal panel ? Are you sure it's correctly connected on the motherboard. Have you tried changing between AC97 and HD audio in your Realtek audio settings (if this option exists); sometimes you have this option in Bios.

yeah they use to work but the speakers have died one at the timen and it is allso a very cheap headset as i dont bother with sound on the computer, and the headset is connected on the back of my computer.
When i have build computers i never bother with outputs on the front, but this slightly modified lian li case do have 2 USB outputs on the top that is connected to the motherbord headers.
In the front i have plenty wired for all the fans connected to the fan controller ( 6 x 120 mm fans ) normally its not so bad but i dont like seeing wires in my computers so ther e is only one that can be seen to some degree and thats the main power for the motherbord.
Even all the hoses for the cooling is nice and neat in order, but they can be seen a lot as just about everything is watercooled, even the ram use to be cooled that way.

Since you've been kind of using '10' for a while maybe you can answer this. Do you have any experience in running legacy 'XP' and '7' software. I have a couple of applications that work just fine on those OS's but for the life of me I can't get them running on '8' (I admit I haven't tried very hard since I 'hate 8'. :D )
i haven't tried any real old apps. most of my testing was with business type software NOT made by MS. of course office 2010 and 2013 works fine, but we're more interested in finding out if core software like workshare compare, imanage desksite/filesite, and nuance power pdf work properly. current versions do, but older ones can be quirky. but we didn't make any final decisions on any of that because we knew the OS itself was still beta, and they way they handle version reporting from the OS to the app (for compatibility modes) was in a state of flux.

now that it's officially out, we can begin real testing. that said, we're also waiting for office '16 since an OS refresh is the perfect time to replace everything, including the office suite. the tech preview is out for that as well, but again, it's not final so we can't make real decisions with it yet, but at least once i have something nailed down, we can give the training department a VM or something they can play with to get familiar with the big changes coming from our existing systems.

Back