Windows 10

i haven't tried any real old apps. most of my testing was with business type software NOT made by MS. of course office 2010 and 2013 works fine, but we're more interested in finding out if core software like workshare compare, imanage desksite/filesite, and nuance power pdf work properly. current versions do, but older ones can be quirky. but we didn't make any final decisions on any of that because we knew the OS itself was still beta, and they way they handle version reporting from the OS to the app (for compatibility modes) was in a state of flux.

now that it's officially out, we can begin real testing. that said, we're also waiting for office '16 since an OS refresh is the perfect time to replace everything, including the office suite. the tech preview is out for that as well, but again, it's not final so we can't make real decisions with it yet, but at least once i have something nailed down, we can give the training department a VM or something they can play with to get familiar with the big changes coming from our existing systems.
Thanks for the feedback. Not exactly what I wanted to hear - but - I'm not sure what I wanted to hear.

The applications I'm having issues with are mostly interactive type games originally written for XP so I'm not holding out a lot of hope due to the difference in API and the fact that most of them probably interact closer to the hardware than MS thinks they should.

The applications I'm having issues with are mostly interactive type games originally written for XP (...)
Man, you're old enough not to be using the word "application"! That's for nowadays kids and people dazzled by technology! :p
What happened to the good old and more accurate words like "program" or "software"? :eek: :D

Man, you're old enough not to be using the word "application"! That's for nowadays kids and people dazzled by technology! :p
What happened to the good old and more accurate words like "program" or "software"? :eek: :D
"Dazzle 'em with Diamonds" or "Baffle 'em with B.S." - take your choice... :D

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts by default.

But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends.

And most likely also NSA and other US agency. Who know what you else share???

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends.

Very unnerving at the least. The only good thing is I don't use, Outlook, Skype or Facebook.

The short answer is that there will not be a “Media Center” available for Windows 10. To make this omission more slightly palatable to loyal Media Center users, Microsoft is making WINDOWS DVD PLAYER available for free to any Windows 7 or 8 PC running Media Center, that is upgraded to Windows 10.

I don't have any DVDs and even if I did, I don't have an optical disk spinner to read them since they are outdated technology!

I do have a digital TV tuner, and I want to watch TV tonight, so I am very glad I don't have automatic updates turned on! Windows 10 would destroy the main function of my living room computer so I will not be installing it even if it is free!

Does Microsoft think people don't watch TV these days and TV tuners should go the same way as the floppy disks that they have also removed support for?

EDRi called Microsoft’s updated privacy policy “bad news for privacy” and for free speech. “Your free speech rights can also be violated on an ad hoc basis,” EDRi warned before quoting Microsoft.

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to,” for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

http://www.networkworld.com/article...troubleshooter-to-stop-automatic-updates.html

I don't have any DVDs and even if I did, I don't have an optical disk spinner to read them since they are outdated technology!

I do have a digital TV tuner, and I want to watch TV tonight, so I am very glad I don't have automatic updates turned on! Windows 10 would destroy the main function of my living room computer so I will not be installing it even if it is free!

Does Microsoft think people don't watch TV these days and TV tuners should go the same way as the floppy disks that they have also removed support for?
nofloppy.gif

circa 2000 when the imac first came out

also - removed support for floppies? strange, i haven't seen that. the newest hyperV VMs i've created have "floppy drives" even though the host machine doesn't. you can apparently mount a disk image to the "floppy drive" so the guest OS thinks it has a disk in there, but i've never tried using it. i have mounted plenty of ISOs into the "dvd drive" though. i do have an external USB floppy drive... i could plug it into a test win10 machine and see if it recognizes it. it probably will. but i don't know if i still have any floppies left, and even if i did, whether they'd still be any good. bit-rot and all that...

i don't know anything about media center since i don't use it, but the plain old windows media player (bog standard) has been able to play video DVDs for quite some time. i haven't tried it in win10 yet, but i'd be surprised if they stripped out that functionality.

Last edited:
Only wifi i have at home is a router connected to ny NVR, and not to the interweb.
O and then the wifi in the X camera :D

EU might jumt down the troat of microsoft and into ther wallet ( the primary target )
I can undestand us Danes opting out of having any privacy as thats just the way we are now, entrusting "big brother" to take care of us as long as we pay him a lot of tax money.
But i expect the real world ppl to cry out.
In the comming time i will have to keep my eyes open for more things i have to disable too.

Madia player is still there but i dont know if it can play a DVD movie, cuz i dont have one of those.

1 thing i think is in dyre need of a upgrade is movie maker.

according to http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...skeys-no-you-shouldnt-be-scared/] arstechnica you have to manually opt in to every network you want to share. i also expect it won't share commercial networks that use radius servers and certificates for authentication.

hehe i remember, but only bad experiences i had with me was when i messed up in regedit, or when i had to trottle back the overclock on my CPU.

But truth be told i never paied for me so i cant really complain about it, i had legal OEM OS in XP and vista, and my 7 is a full retail version.
And the OEM OS i had made it thru several more or less full hardware upgrades as i back then changed hardware as often as some ppl change underwear.
I had to phone MS once in a while, but they allways let be carry on with my OEM software.

PS. i dislike too programs now is called APPs, the word APP to me mean signing over just about everything in your phone / OS.

Madia player is still there but i dont know if it can play a DVD movie, cuz i dont have one of those.

1 thing i think is in dyre need of a upgrade is movie maker.
Media Player is different to Media Center, Media Centre lets you watch, record, playback TV, and includes the TV program guides etc. It's designed to work as a TV fully controllable via remote control. I don't think Media Player can play protected DVDs - films etc.

Last time they upgraded Movie Maker they made all the improvements only appear if you run it on Windows 8, run it on Windows 7 and the new menus are missing - wonder if they will do that with all their software upgrades in future, new features only available on Windows 10?

:oops: seem like i just read media and then added player as center isent anything i ever used :oops::oops::oops::oops: selective vision along with becomming long sighted :(

Iv just finished reading this entire thread and now I know why I will stick with win 7 Ultimate......... For now

My idea of a CLEAN installation of this suspicious software will only be by USB.............. OFFLINE

A 3GB flash drive is what they are saying holds it and can be installed............. OFFLINE

Media Player is different to Media Center, Media Centre lets you watch, record, playback TV, and includes the TV program guides etc. It's designed to work as a TV fully controllable via remote control. I don't think Media Player can play protected DVDs - films etc.

Last time they upgraded Movie Maker they made all the improvements only appear if you run it on Windows 8, run it on Windows 7 and the new menus are missing - wonder if they will do that with all their software upgrades in future, new features only available on Windows 10?
Yes I am aware of the difference. I once read up on building my own htpc and even built a basic one running gbpvr or something like that, but it didn't meet the wife's standards so now we have a Tivo. Maybe now that hardware is cheaper and I have a gige network and a server with a few TB of storage, I could try again with myth. Especially since the Tivo is starting to show its age.

I have played store bought video DVDs in my work laptop which does not have media center. Just win 7 professional and standard media player. Works fine. They were Disney movies so you bet they had whatever copy protection they put on them... Also played several movie from red box without issue.

Back