Windows 10

hehe i was about to build a htpc too, but then i had fiber put to my house instead, and i was not sure if that worked with a htpc, so i just got the settop box for the TV side of things, and a fiber all the way to the box inside my house for the interweb stuff.

I miss my fiber, and i miss my house though i had the ppl on either side pretty close to me. :(

...Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends.
No, not the network password "doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password." Moreover, not anyone can connect to this "new" network and not with any device (except those running Windows 10 and their Wi-Fi Sense). It's not likely you're going to enter the password by hand ;)
“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to,” for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services."
o_O Let's not to bring the scarecrow. No cloud sharing ...no problem. Need cloud sharing and need crypting ...TC 7.1a container (for example). Emails ? third party software (e.g. all known Thunderbird) . I'm personally more scared about the ads :D
Does Microsoft think people don't watch TV these days and TV tuners should go the same way as the floppy disks that they have also removed support for?
I don't watch TV/ I don't have TV/ and I don't pay the TV licence ...they are obsolete :p
...i could plug it into a test win10 machine and see if it recognizes it. it probably will. but i don't know if i still have any floppies left, and even if i did, whether they'd still be any good. bit-rot and all that....
You should: for the sake of its music
My idea of a CLEAN installation of this suspicious software will only be by USB.............. OFFLINE
How are you going to activate it ?
that integrates with Kodi and Plex.
There are already many Android players which integrate quite well Kodi. If not, a combo DVB-T2/S2 Android Receiver.

You should: for the sake of its music
This is what I think of when I think "floppy drive noise" :D

edit: oh wait, you said MUSIC?

There are already many Android players which integrate quite well Kodi. If not, a combo DVB-T2/S2 Android Receiver.
DVB isn't a thing in the US... ok we we do have digital, but it's ATSC and whatever other standards layered on top, just to make it extra complicated. we have a very screwed up system thanks to cable tv mobsters and their lobbyists.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Win 7 Pro has been one of my favourites OS. I don't understand why I have to step into "unknown 10" ? )

My philosophy: don't fix if it's not broken.

I have conservative attitude to many things, but not to dashcams ;) ... yes, I might be an old-school and I do prefer cars with carburettor to the "latest fully loaded", because I can fix "carburettor car" with set of players and 2 screwdrivers ;)

This is what I think of when I think "floppy drive noise" :D
It's been a while since I've heard those noises.

The only 'floppy' I have now is.......... (wait, I better not go there). :D

Actually, I do have a 3.5" USB floppy drive somewhere. Can't remember when I last used it.

Win 7 Pro has been one of my favourites OS. I don't understand why I have to step into "unknown 10" ? )

My philosophy: don't fix if it's not broken.

I have conservative attitude to many things, but not to dashcams ;) ... yes, I might be an old-school and I do prefer cars with carburettor to the "latest fully loaded", because I can fix "carburettor car" with set of players and 2 screwdrivers ;)

I also use and really like Windows 7 Pro and see no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand since I run Windows 7 as a virtual machine under Parallels on the second monitor of my Mac I plan to create a new Win 10 virtual machine just to play with and check it out. This way I can leave my original Win 7 Pro install volume intact and untouched while experimenting with Windows 10 and even throw it away if I don't like it.

:) I like this ! ;)

I'm at least going to give it a chance Niko! :)

I do love the virtual machine concept. I can have as many operating systems as I want on one computer. I gave a talk and demonstration to our local CUG about Parallels on the Mac and had three operating systems running at the same time on my laptop - Mac -Win XP and Ubuntu Linux. The hardcore Windows geeks in the room who always look down their noses at Macs nearly wet their pants. :D

I had some annoying NVidia Quadro 1000m display issues on Windows 8.1 where I couldn't go full screen on some web videos that seem to have gone away now that I'm on on Windows 10. (happy)

When you transfer large files in 8/8.1/10, I like the more detailed graph that is presented better than Windows 7 as well. (and you can pause/resume)

KXGM3a9.png

Last edited:
I'm at least going to give it a chance Niko! :)

I do love the virtual machine concept. I can have as many operating systems as I want on one computer. I gave a talk and demonstration to our local CUG about Parallels on the Mac and had three operating systems running at the same time on my laptop - Mac -Win XP and Ubuntu Linux. The hardcore Windows geeks in the room who always look down their noses at Macs nearly wet their pants. :D

Why I like most Windows pre-W8 , - they are user-friendly to most P2P-software ;)
W8 is not that "user-friendly". Not sure about 10, how long will take time to adopt it to be user-friendly for P2P-soft.

All my new/old apps works great on 10 so far.

The MS Cortana (Siri clone) voice search thing is interesting. I don't have an immediate use to talk to my computer but I find myself doing a few Siri things on my iPhone on a regular basis so we'll see what becomes useful after awhile.

eYgWjHK.png

Yeah like a few of you I've been running it since the first Insider Previews and it's definitely gotten better with the later betas - AMD and Nvidia could do with fixing some driver glitches still though!

Why I like most Windows pre-W8 , - they are user-friendly to most P2P-software ;)
W8 is not that "user-friendly". Not sure about 10, how long will take time to adopt it to be user-friendly for P2P-soft.
Tell me about it. New PC came with 8.1 pre-installed & no booklet explaining how 8.1 works.
Boots to a load of icons instead of the desktop - apparently, these are not icons or even tiles but "charms" o_O
And nothing is as straightforward as previous versions.
Anyway. goes to load up the family's email accounts only to find that it's going to be complicated. 8.1 doesn't like the 'old' pop email addresses that we have been using since the dawn of time, I now have to set up a microsoft account. As soon as I did this, my boot time went from 12seconds to however long it takes to input my password.
I deleted the account & didn't even bother trying to install the other accounts. I'll settle for having my emails on my laptop.
nice touch microsoft!

Tell me about it. New PC came with 8.1 pre-installed & no booklet explaining how 8.1 works.
Boots to a load of icons instead of the desktop - apparently, these are not icons or even tiles but "charms" o_O
And nothing is as straightforward as previous versions.
Anyway. goes to load up the family's email accounts only to find that it's going to be complicated. 8.1 doesn't like the 'old' pop email addresses that we have been using since the dawn of time, I now have to set up a microsoft account. As soon as I did this, my boot time went from 12seconds to however long it takes to input my password.
I deleted the account & didn't even bother trying to install the other accounts. I'll settle for having my emails on my laptop.
nice touch microsoft!
Almost exactly the same story when we "upgraded" notebook for my wife which was only available with w8. These days it is very hard to find in shop w7 pc or laptop, especially latest models or the ones which are on sale.
I dont say nothing bad ( yet ) towards w10, first need to wait and read users opinion. Who knows, maybe Microsoft learned from their w8 failured project and w10 be more user-friendly ? Time will tell.

...I now have to set up a microsoft account....
You can do it without a MS account but it's a PITA and not intuitive, plus you can't take advantage of some other MS 'benefits' unless you do create the account.

The MS Cortana (Siri clone) voice search thing is interesting. I don't have an immediate use to talk to my computer but I find myself doing a few Siri things on my iPhone on a regular basis so we'll see what becomes useful after awhile.
I've had Cortana on my phone for a while, more use there since it is quicker to ask her to convert degrees F into degrees C than to type on the phone, but if I have a PC with a proper keyboard then I will still type the question into google "77F=?C" instead of talking to Cortana on my phone. She is good though and very fast to answer, I can see speech becoming the normal way to search before long.

I've had Cortana on my phone for a while, more use there since it is quicker to ask her to convert degrees F into degrees C than to type on the phone, but if I have a PC with a proper keyboard then I will still type the question into google "77F=?C" instead of talking to Cortana on my phone. She is good though and very fast to answer, I can see speech becoming the normal way to search before long.

Back