Windows 10

I run Windows 7 as a virtual machine under Parallels
You can do the same in Windows/Linux environments, even though it seems that Parallels gives better results ...but it is not free (as VBox for example).
I had some annoying NVidia
Maybe it was from nView Desktop Management Software ? I see you're using this function. I had several problems with this software (especially on dual screen).
W8 is not that "user-friendly". ...Boots to a load of icons instead of the desktop - apparently, these are not icons or even tiles but "charms" o_O And nothing is as straightforward as previous versions.
Almost exactly the same story when we "upgraded" notebook for my wife which was only available with w8. These days it is very hard to find in shop w7 pc or laptop, especially latest models or the ones which are on sale.
You can change it to look, almost, like WinXP. I never use the new Start. Instead for the Start I use Classic Shell; of course there are many other alternatives:
http://www.howtogeek.com/127699/6-start-menu-replacements-for-windows-8/
https://alternativeto.net/software/classicshell/
Anyway. goes to load up the family's email accounts ...I deleted the account & didn't even bother trying to install the other accounts. I'll settle for having my emails on my laptop.
Several active email addresses on my Thunderbird right now, with calendar and address book which are synchronized with my phone. So, there are always alternatives.

Well, I hate to say it, but, as Frank Spencer would say to his ever-loving and patient wife, Betty, "I'm a failure".
178015_some_mothers_do_ave_em.jpg

I have tried, and failed, to install the Windows 10 Upgrade.

Is anyone else having difficulties?

and failed, to install the Windows 10 Upgrade.
What error ? How much space do you have on your Windows partition ?
The easier way: delete everything from "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and start all over again.

I am only here as its free, and if win 10 bother be just a little i am back on 7 pro in a heartbeat.

Its funny some new things and progress i like other not so much :D after all today it is called a car, and once it was a automobile, and i am okay with that.
But ABS - ESP - rain sensor - auto brake - lane departure warning and most of the other things they put in cars today :rolleyes: not so much :D

If i got into a boatload of money i would never buy a 2015 sportscar, but i might buy a 70 - 80ties sports car ;)

What error ? How much space do you have on your Windows partition ?
The easier way: delete everything from "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and start all over again.

1 Error 80240020
2 Lots of space
3 Tried that

I've downloaded it 3 times but it fails on installation. What I don't understand is the different sizes of files each time I download.

1st. = 10.8GB
2nd. = 13.5GB
3rd. = 16.2GB

What a lot of the geeks fail to understand is that not everybody wants to change something that isn't broken.
My ONLY reason for moving up was to take advantage of Santa's generosity. Family wanted to get me something for Xmas & my desktop (Vista) and laptop (W7) are just a bit long in the tooth for editing HD video.
One of my son's mates is a bit of a geek when it comes to puters & he pointed son in the direction of a Medion Erazer which was on offer. It manages the video editing in a fraction of the time with all its dedicated graphics & loads of ram & terrorbite (:oops:) SSD.
I'm really a bit long in the tooth to start learning everything over again, a nice, simple upgrade would've been fine but no, let's go the whole hog & change everything.
On the plus side, the wife has dyslexia & really, really struggles with new tech, she can just about manage the desktop for all her sunday school work.
I did try to tell her that her God stuff had caused the hard drive to crash & burn - but I'm not sure that she fully believes me!:rolleyes:

1st. = 10.8GB
2nd. = 13.5GB
3rd. = 16.2GB
The 4th time you may risk downloading all the internet :D
Probably you have already found these on internet:
  • delete the content of C:\$Windows.~BT folder
  • 1.Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    2.It should exist, but if not, create it.
    3.Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001

What should I expect to see - 3 to 5 GB ?
I couldn't download the ISO yesterday (as my network modem wasn't working properly ) but it should be around 3.5 GB. I'll let it download this night.
I haven't tested, but rather than selecting the "update", maybe the "iso" has the option to update an already installed Windows 7 or 8. So it will be more efficient to work like that (also for the future use).

Because the activation of Win10 is done based on the activation of Win7 or 8 if you're planing to change some hardware in your system the best is
-a) to that change before updating to Win 10, or,
-b) to install Win 10 from zero and use it unactivated until the changes are made (which will require to go back to Win8.1, activate Win8.1 with the new hardware (in generally it works, but it can also kill the licence), update to Win10 activate it again, and then install Win10 from zero. I like more clean installs :D)
For those who want to use method b) the KMS keys for Win10 are here (more exactly those for Prof and Edu; they will allow you to install Win10 "iso" version, but not to have it activated. Of course, if you have a Win10 licence you can change it later directly in Win10): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/jj612867.aspx
...to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Personally I think I'll go with b) as I planed to add an SSD, and the price for Samsung EVO 850 500GB is today as low as 150 € (but I think it will become even cheaper). Of course, I'll make a cold backup of my actual 8.1 so, it will be easier to go back when I'll activate my licence with the new hardware.

Last edited:
Question for those who have already gone down the path and installed Win 10.

Has anyone created 'recovery media' yet?... and is it USB only (like one of my Win 8.1 machines) or is there on option for DVD as well?

well the media creation tool linked in the very first post here offers to create iso (which you can burn to dvd) or usb. which is good, because not all USB drives can be made bootable. which is a pain. none of my kingstons work as boot drives.

I noticed one more fix I'm very happy about since the upgrade.

Often times on Windows 8/8.1, if I was browsing for a file to upload/attach via the explorer pop-up window on a web page, and I right clicked the file to do something the computer would freeze up for a long long time. (happened in both chrome and firefox)

The right click freeze/hang problem is gone on 10!

Often times on Windows 8/8.1, if I was browsing for a file to upload/attach via the explorer pop-up window on a web page, and I right clicked the file to do something the computer would freeze up for a long long time. (happened in both chrome and firefox)

The right click freeze/hang problem is gone on 10!

Win 7 does that too

Just got my notification so left the PC to download windows 10.

OK, so it's done. Took me a little while to find where it'd hidden my favourites but it's looking somewhat better than 8.1. Glad to see the windows button doing more or less what it used to do.

Interesting how we have an app for everything these days - except I can't find one that'll allow me to set up my old popmail accounts! If I want to play some daft game from the 1980s, I can. If I want to watch hours of nothing happening on the sea bed off some distant shores, I can - and all these things can be set up more or less instantly, with minimal fuss.
But in order to get my 'unpopular' pop emails now, I have to sign up to yet another account, jump through a load of hoops & maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to access my emails in the way I have done for many a year.
I mean come on Microsoft. Click the app, download, install, open, add your email account(s), finish. To view, simply click the logo on your desktop/start menu. YOU forced this new software on us, the least you can do is smooth the waters to make the change easier for those of us who aren't so techy minded.

I've had Cortana on my phone for a while, more use there since it is quicker to ask her to convert degrees F into degrees C than to type on the phone, but if I have a PC with a proper keyboard then I will still type the question into google "77F=?C" instead of talking to Cortana on my phone. She is good though and very fast to answer, I can see speech becoming the normal way to search before long.
When my wife was a social worker (she walked out in disgust at the way seniors ignored many issues with vulnerable cases), all her work had to be on computer. Because of her dyslexia (she had an assessment & employers have to make reasonable adjustment), they gave her a laptop and a copy of dragon speech recognition. She spent hours 'teaching' it but anything other than whatever elitist accent it was originally programmed with just kept throwing up problems. One of her colleagues was from New Zealand - and he had no end of 'fun' with his speech recognition program - the word "ten" would always come up as 'tin' :D.

hehe i laughed my ass of at that sceen in "ST" :)
There are many pitfalls for the traveller in time.

To be honest i would love to be able to speak to my machine, not only as it would make it much faster for me to communicate with you guys here.

I even had some software once that was kinda of able to do that, but it was far from perfect but then again this was 10 years ago if not more.

- Windows 10 Spying by default. Of course there are ways to minimize Windows 10 to spy on you, but this requires additional effort / knowledge which in 99% cases Average Joe doesn't do or don't know how to do, or don't have time for this and fall into the claws of "big brother".

It's "funny" to read how honestly they admit they will be spying on you ( by default )

- Microsoft Services Agreement
- Microsoft Privacy Statement

it’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you. That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document, right?

" Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

If that sentence sent shivers down your spine, don’t worry. As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution.

- BGR article

Back