Windows 10

OK, here's one of those things that once you see it, you won't be able to UN-see it.

it's not gross or anything - totally safe for work. it's just the standard windows 10 login screen. the photo has not been doctored in any way, and you can verify this by booting up your own win10 machine and dismissing the wallpaper/clock that first shows up. as long as you haven't changed your user icon to something other than standard, you'll see this exact thing.

win10-usericon.png

Is it just me, or does the little user "head and shoulders" icon look EXACTLY like the number 8 with the bottom cut off? Seems to me they were pretty sloppy about removing windows "8" remnants from windows 10 - this 8 icon is all over the place!

Now, every time you see that icon somewhere, you'll see the number 8 instead. You're welcome. :p

Last edited:
(...) at least 95, 98 and 2000 (and server 03/08) made some sort of sense since it was roughly when they were released, but what the hell is R2?
And XP? And Vista? What do those even mean? :)

View attachment 15782

Is it just me, or does the little user "head and shoulders" icon look EXACTLY like the number 8 with the bottom cut off? Seems to me they were pretty sloppy about removing windows "8" remnants from windows 10 - this 8 icon is all over the place!

Now, every time you see that icon somewhere, you'll see the number 8 instead. You're welcome. :p
To me it looks like an unhappy cyclops. :D

I noticed one more fix I'm very happy about since the upgrade.

Often times on Windows 8/8.1, if I was browsing for a file to upload/attach via the explorer pop-up window on a web page, and I right clicked the file to do something the computer would freeze up for a long long time. (happened in both chrome and firefox)

The right click freeze/hang problem is gone on 10!

Win 7 does that too

The "Right Click of Death" freeze hit me again a few times in regular file explorer today. Who knows what it's related to, but yes it's been around for many versions of Windows now. You can open a new explorer window and right click works there fine. (other window will freeze/crash over and over again) Same old same old, oh well.

I ended up test/install'ing W10 and boy, am I smart man!?....
Maybe! , hers laptop is running, only just, managed to get few functionalities to work, don't even know as how. Some bits I liked, but lets be honest- those are copied from apple and droid, and now, I'm back in front of my good old trusted W7. As buggy and annoying the frameworks, protocols, weak integration, its possible , almost always, to find the ways around them, so almost happy!

Anyone have mastered w10 to the level of usability?
I didn't, it took me forever to get it doing simplest tasks, hence either wait for 10 updates or stick to what's been tested and trusted ;)

Unfortunately, M$ is wasting money on promoting the thing, so soon, there's going to be lot of "wanna" kids and ladies, so hard work is expected for "IT knowledgeables".... damn and blast! wish M$ had dropped another flop o.O

(rant "is over"), anyone aware what will happen with simple BlueTooth file transfer protocols? hers lappy has one build inn and I couldn't get connected, regardless of settings.

There's already people selling 7/8 years old laptops with W10 on OLX! :eek:

Official hardware requirements aren't that massive, but it does need decent spec machines to function semi useful. ;)

Official hardware requirements aren't that massive, but it does need decent spec machines to function semi useful. ;)
If you believe W10 works in machines with those official minimum requirements, which I don't.
I wasn't surprised by the type of machines I saw (at least 2 of them had quad core Intel processors and 8GB of RAM) but by the fact that the OS was released just a week ago! I wonder if it isn't just a marketing ploy by the sellers to try to bump up the value of second-hand equipments they couldn't sell. If it was, then it was a dumb move.

i've just finished a week-long hack-a-thon at work, trying to rip out onedrive and other preloaded apps as part of the enterprise deployment. i call it a deployment because nobody wants to sit down at each of 2000+ computers and manually install and customize windows, office, and 30 other apps, so i'm scripting/packaging it all in SCCM, so you can just click a couple buttons and it'll load everything onto the PC all at once, without missing a single step, and every machine will be nice and uniform.

I finally managed to get rid of OneDrive. because i work at a law firm, we have to comply with HIPPA, SOX and god knows what other regulations, so all cloud storage services are prohibited from being on any of our computers, and most/all are blocked at the network level as well. box, dropbox, onedrive, google drive, icloud, etc... big no-no's.

so when i found out that win10 had onedrive baked in with no simple way to remove it, i (and my best friend google) worked together to kill it.

now if only i could uninstall the other preloaded crap like xbox, people, mail, etc etc... and have them actually STAY gone instead of coming right back after a reboot. i mean seriously - this is the ENTERPRISE version of windows, specifically intended for BUSINESSES. why did MS think it would be a good idea to force onedrive, xbox and all this other crap on there with no way to remove it?? i really hope some big companies sue the crap out of them.

Well you're the one who works with lawyers, get them to start up a class action and we'll join in!

KuoH

i mean seriously - this is the ENTERPRISE version of windows, specifically intended for BUSINESSES. why did MS think it would be a good idea to force onedrive, xbox and all this other crap on there with no way to remove it?? i really hope some big companies sue the crap out of them.

now if only i could uninstall the other preloaded crap like xbox, people, mail, etc etc... and have them actually STAY gone instead of coming right back after a reboot. i mean seriously - this is the ENTERPRISE version of windows, specifically intended for BUSINESSES. why did MS think it would be a good idea to force onedrive, xbox and all this other crap on there with no way to remove it?? i really hope some big companies sue the crap out of them.

Anyone know what exactly is the xbox meant to do on Win10 anyway?

To me it looks like an unhappy cyclops. :D
Leela.gif

anyone aware what will happen with simple BlueTooth file transfer protocols? hers lappy has one build inn and I couldn't get connected, regardless of settings.
Do you have the ON/OFF button to start/shutdown the Bluetooth ? What's happening more exactly ?

Start>>Find the app>>right click >>Uninstall, maybe ?

Mandami said:
Start>>Find the app>>right click >>Uninstall, maybe ?
That's fine for someone's personal machine but as I said I'm building several thousand machines. Plus there is no uninstall for things like the store or "contact support". The thing with contact support is that it puts the user in contact with someone other than our own internal help desk.

I've found some powershell scripts but they don't seem to work when nobody has logged onto the machine yet. Very frustrating.

Btw, Leela crying gif = win. :D

@
Mandami
BlueTooth, regardless as what I've attempted, it just wouldn't start or even show on connection(or hardware configuration) options, whilst it indicate in as hardware to be present (never mind the fact, I know- I had it working on W7 x64). Device is there!
Seemed to me as some sort of misconfiguration, but I tried to go by everything as default from installation to the connection options. The phone(s (several) where finding each other and all sort of other devices, but W10 PC- nahnah... grrr !

@
Mandami
BlueTooth, regardless as what I've attempted, it just wouldn't start or even show on connection(or hardware configuration) options, whilst it indicate in as hardware to be present (never mind the fact, I know- I had it working on W7 x64). Device is there!
Seemed to me as some sort of misconfiguration, but I tried to go by everything as default from installation to the connection options. The phone(s (several) where finding each other and all sort of other devices, but W10 PC- nahnah... grrr !
When testing win 10 at home, my hp scanner wouldn't work using the software from HP's site but in searching, I found some obscure forum somewhere that said to go to the windows store and download an HP imaging app. Boom it works like a charm.

Long story short, look in the store. Maybe you'll find something. Equivalent of bluesoleil or something.

Back