Windows 10

If that sentence sent shivers down your spine, don’t worry.
Doesn't look much different to previous stuff covering the use of Microsoft's online services such as Hotmail. Some, if not most of it is necessary for legal reasons, even Microsoft have to comply with the law. If you really want to keep everything out of the reach of others then you have to disconnect yourself from the internet, Windows 10 will not make any difference to that, although even then you had better not drive your car because all those ANPR cameras are tracking and recording your journeys, as is your mobile phone operator!

Doesn't look much different to previous stuff covering the use of Microsoft's online services such as Hotmail. Some, if not most of it is necessary for legal reasons, even Microsoft have to comply with the law. If you really want to keep everything out of the reach of others then you have to disconnect yourself from the internet, Windows 10 will not make any difference to that, although even then you had better not drive your car because all those ANPR cameras are tracking and recording your journeys, as is your mobile phone operator!

"Big Brother" is getting bigger and closer day by day. Some time I miss pre-internet and pre-mobilephones era. At least back then I had quite nice hand writing, where communication was done via Mail-Post and you received REAL Christmas- and Birthday cards, not like these days mostly "copy-paste" electronic e-mails and SMS. But what you can do ?, - just to adopt to present world !

Windows 10 May Share Your Wi-Fi Password with Facebook

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-may-share-wi-164057617.html
Microsoft added this feature to save users' time and hassle, but as independent security blogger Brian Krebs put it, some security experts see it as "a disaster waiting to happen."

That what I meant earlier where w10 has "spying options" set by default. Geek can go through w10 and disable / adjust all unwanted options, but for average Joe w10 is not user-friendly, at least how I see it now.

Apparently there is a Ransomware Windows 10 phishing scam circulating CTB-Locker.

The exploit emails mimic the actual Windows 10 messages Redmond has been sending out and have been spoofed to read as if the originating address came from Microsoft. A 734KB attachment included in the emails claims to be a Windows 10 installer but actually contains the ransomware.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_download_ransomware/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2301118/windows-10-e-mail-link-leads-to-malicious-ransomware/

ctblocker.jpg

Apparently there is a Ransomware Windows 10 phishing scam circulating CTB-Locker.

The exploit emails mimic the actual Windows 10 messages Redmond has been sending out and have been spoofed to read as if the originating address came from Microsoft. A 734KB attachment included in the emails claims to be a Windows 10 installer but actually contains the ransomware....
That didn't take the 'low life' a$$holes very long. :mad:

That didn't take the 'low life' a$$holes very long. :mad:

It never does these days. The same goes for theft of copyrighted images. I've watched as works I've created, copyrighted and posted online by me or my clients have been copied and used elsewhere within less than 24 hours, often in other countries beyond the reach of copyright law. A photo of a very large carrot was appropriated to sell carrot seeds in Bulgaria within about twelve hours after we posted it ourselves. Of course, malware creators and organized crime are constantly scanning the headlines and the web for exploit opportunities to latch onto victims who might be more inclined to click on an innocent looking link. Typical examples are charitable solicitations for major natural disasters, stories about the sudden death of big name celebrities or alarmist headlines.

When I first got on the "internet" shortly after Netscape Navigator 1.0 was introduced in October 1994 and hyperlinks were a brand new phenomenon in a "browser" there was no such thing as a computer virus or trojan or any other kind of malware. There was no such thing as SPAM either and there were not yet any commercial web sites to speak of. Most of the content online was being put up by graduate students, government agencies and individual enthusiasts. It kind of boggles the mind to think of the online world be live in now with the level of tracking, spamming, fraud and malware that we need to be so constantly vigilant about. Back in 1994 the concept of "Ransomware" was completely unimaginable, like something out of a dystopian science fiction novel.

Note: Wow, this is interesting. My computer's spell checker thinks I spelled "dystopian" wrong; it wants me to change it to "utopian". Apparently, the words dystopian or dystopia are not included in the otherwise extremely comprehensive and in-depth spell checking dictionary on my Mac. Considering the huge number of oddball obscure words it knows, someone apparently made a conscious decision to leave that word out.

Last edited:
...My computer's spell checker thinks I spelled "dystopian" wrong; it wants me to change it to "utopian".....
Now that is F U N N Y . :D

- Mozilla Says Microsoft Went Too Far With Windows 10

Mozilla wrote an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella requesting that Microsoft make it easier for users who upgrade to Windows 10 to maintain their existing program preferences, and to make it easier to change preferences in the future.

The letter is in response to the recent release of Windows 10. When a user upgrades to Windows 10 from a previous OS, Microsoft overwrites several default settings, such as your choices for your default web browser and default search engine. This isn’t such a surprising move for Microsoft to make, as it wants to grow its market share of users on the Edge browser and on Bing, but Mozilla sees it as a mistake.

Mozilla feels that this needlessly forces users into trying products they may not want. Clearly, these users knowingly chose to use the browser they had before upgrading, and if they wanted to use the other browser, they would.

This isn’t the only thing that Mozilla is unhappy about in Windows 10, either. When a user wants to change these settings back, you can’t simply click a button that says “Set as default web browser,” unlike previous OSes. Instead, to set your default web browser back you first click a button that opens a settings panel in Windows 10. You then scroll down, find the web browser preference, and change it to whatever you want it to be.

This isn’t very complicated, but it does take up a user’s time, and it's annoying. It might also be confusing for some users who have difficulty adjusting Windows settings, and surprising to other users who expect that clicking the button will, as it always has in the past, change the setting for you.

Mozilla wants Microsoft to give users back the option to choose their web browser and other preferences without the hassle. We'll be interested to how and if Nadella responds.

The first "real" computer I worked with had Windows 3.1 and as I was "perusing" through the file structure I found a folder named McAfee Security. There were also some references to something called "internet". :)
Of course I don't miss those days, in comparison to what we have today, but unfortunately there are too many people nowadays that are used by technology instead of using technology, so virus creators take advantage of it.

Last edited:
maybe the EU browser election screen will make a sudden comeback... worldwide. because apparently they didn't learn anything from it last time. antitrust anyone?

Yes, I read that article recently. It explains how Windows 10 is really 6.4, a kind of version inflation.
I also heard that it was named Win 10 instead of Win 9 because MS wanted parity/equality with OS X.

Yes, I read that article recently. It explains how Windows 10 is really 6.4, a kind of version inflation.
That's actually to improve compatibility with old code which just checked the major version number - kind of like the old Year 2000 bug.

Back