Xiaomi Action Cam...

Sadly when their margins are as thin as theirs something has to give and it is customer support. CS costs (unfortunately), and they make sometimes less than 1USD per product they sell which means they dont invest in their CS. A lot of Chinese people love the brand and will always recommend it but always follow it with the warning, 'just hope nothing goes wrong', because if it does, you are usually on your own.

On a side note: everyone has the obsession with getting everything the cheapest, but unfortunately the cheaper something is, usually something gives, and the easiest thing to cut is customer service. Just be aware that it is very hard to get an incredibly good product with amazing customer service for a dime and a nickle.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

One of the larger Taobao sellers I know operates on 1 RMB profit per sale, (that's around USD 15 cents for anyone playing along at home), if you're lucky it's just customer service where they cutback, many survive by cheating the system, knowingly shipping goods that have issues, or buying cheaper versions of popular products where there have been cut backs back on component quality to reach a target price, not all of these sellers are in business for the long term

Ok, my first day with the Xiaomi Yi and I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is. I wasn't expecting it to be awful, yet I wasn't expecting it to be so well put together. The video performance both day and night is very good and it handles exposure much better than the SJ4000.

What I'm really impressed with is the app, it is very complete and well integrated with the camera. I actually received an OTA(?) firmware update for the Yi camera that updated itself through the WiFi connection on my phone. This is my third WiFi camera (SJ4000 & C4) and the best app so far. BTW, I'm glad to report that loop recording is there and records in 5 min clips. I will test it more and post some video as soon as I can.

Thank you @GearBest for sending me the camera.
http://www.gearbest.com/gadget-deals.html#deals_417
Coupon XMXYCAM

Like some of the newer action cams i assume it do 5-10-15-20 min segments, thats allso what the new sony AS200V do it

Ok, my first day with the Xiaomi Yi and I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is. I wasn't expecting it to be awful, yet I wasn't expecting it to be so well put together. The video performance both day and night is very good and it handles exposure much better than the SJ4000.

What I'm really impressed with is the app, it is very complete and well integrated with the camera. I actually received an OTA(?) firmware update for the Yi camera that updated itself through the WiFi connection on my phone. This is my third WiFi camera (SJ4000 & C4) and the best app so far. BTW, I'm glad to report that loop recording is there and records in 5 min clips. I will test it more and post some video as soon as I can.

Thank you @GearBest for sending me the camera.
http://www.gearbest.com/gadget-deals.html#deals_417
Coupon XMXYCAM

Good to know that the camera works well, and I am looking forward to your video and depth review :)
Here we've already got more stock in, as well as the monopod stick one.
%7B35FFE039-8AD8-4868-9E27-3AEC2F9CD56F%7D.jpg

th
Hey, the only color choice on their web page is black! That's interesting.

View attachment 11420

the website is illegal?
It does not exist when we try to click.
Yesterday read a news and said Xiao Mi would develop a smart bike ,which couod share route,map data,around 170USD.
buy Xiao Mi means after-sales service especially English support because there is no official distributor yet
many sellers are buy second hand or third hand from those people who are skilled in taking up the stock by purchase from Internet.

bought mine from banggood last week for $100, should arrive soon.

Here's a teardown:

Glad to see the HDMI out there.

Anyone know which Sony exmor sensor is being used?

We are holding a Xiaomi Yi action camera with Selfie Monopod Stick giveaway here. Any one wants it for free? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's you review/comparison with the GoPro Hero 4

Nice giveaway.
But i cant comply with rule #2 as i dont go to any blogs or those social network sites, DTC is just about the most populated site i visit.
Okay i am on the youtube, but my channel only have a fjew followers.

Anyway i will prefer to get a job, and then buy one myself, got my fingers crossed as i just send out a new batch of applications for jobs.

Oh wow - mine just arrived (thanks again Sunny!) - I honestly can't believe how small this thing is - I was not expecting that from the photos!!

One thing I noticed straight away is that you can absolutely no way let this sit face down as the lens protudes ever so slightly from the plastic casing so it would get scratched to buggery so make sure it's in a case of some sort.

IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG

Last edited:
is that not the worst colour combo ever, I plan to pick one of these up when I'm back in China but only if I can find a white one

Looks better in person

I actually like the colour combo - it is like something Austin Powers would wear but kind of fits the action camera name!

So far the camera seems pretty random with the wifi falling over when you try and access photos or videos from the microSD over wifi.

I'm running firmware 0.7.10 and Android app 1.30 - there is no iOS version currently although I've read there are other apps for A7LA75S cams that work with this one. I'm just trying to find a new firmware but it's slow going on a phone :)

Ah got it - I left 1.3 running for a bit not connected to the camera and it seems to have automatically downloaded 1.0 to the app.

First time around the process stuck at 0% as the wifi had crashed again - rebooted the camera and tried again and as Borat would say - 'great success'!

It took just over 4 minutes to do the firmware and then the camera sits beeping for a minute while updating. All in all it took over five minutes to do the firmware but now it's done.

Feature wise it appears the same but it will be interesting to see if the bitrate has changed from the 12Mbps that 1920x1080 @ 30fps was using last night.

Back