Xiaomi Action Cam...

Yeah it is definitely looking better mate - before on 0.7.10 it would crash after viewing one pic or video but I've just been through everything I've recorded so far and it's still working fine.

Guessing as its 1.0.0 now it's the first release - there is a change log I've screen shotted and it's all in Chinese so I have no idea what it actually said!

Took this over to the park today and to be fair it's done a great job IMHO although I'm knackered after running after my little girl with it!

The pictures and videos have come out well - you can see the posterization type effect which is on pretty much any Ambarella camera I've ever seen though.

@Mtz how does this compare to the SJ5000+? I'm happy with what I've seen so far from this one - I tried it quickly as a dashcam sat on my dash but the quality wasn't great for that usage in terms of details like numberplates but the overall image was nice. I might hook it up on a mobius mount to test that.

I've put a selection of the raw images off the memory card from today here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sample-pics-from-xiaomi-yi-sports-camera.10401/

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting for mine to arrive, although I bought it just a day after an official release. Way to go AliExpress! EXPRESS? :) LazyAli perhaps.

@Mtz how does this compare to the SJ5000+? I'm happy with what I've seen so far from this one - I tried it quickly as a dashcam sat on my dash but the quality wasn't great for that usage in terms of details like numberplates but the overall image was nice. I might hook it up on a mobius mount to test that.
Yes, SJCam are not good as dashcams and I already posted on forum videos with SJ5000.
I was looking at your sample pictures and I see the same problem with dark areas in some situations and maybe this is just because of Ambarella.

If Yi will have all accessories as SJ5000+ maybe will cost the same, but Yi have no display.
I understand for a dashcam to not have display (and I like very much the wireless idea) because ideal for a dashcam is set and forget. No need for display but only in some situations and is better to watch a video or transfer it on your smartphone. On my ITB-250HD I forgot which button I need to press to format the card and I am using the Android smartphone application to format it.
But! For an action cam the display is more important compared to a dashcam.

I will compare SJ5000 but with a future dashcam with display, not Yi.

enjoy,
Mtz

Looking at the bitrate table for this camera in firmware 1.0 it should go up to 25Mbps - I'm guessing that's in 1920x1080 @ 60fps.

upload_2015-3-22_8-44-25.png

In the footage I took down the park yesterday it ran at an average of around 12Mbps so I'm guessing there's an option hidden in there to boost up the video quality.

upload_2015-3-22_8-44-42.png

I'd say that was a productive morning while nursing a hangover and looking after a two year old - the Yi is now recording at 18Mbps in 1920x1080 @ 30fps :)

upload_2015-3-22_9-44-30.png

Hello.
How did you do that?
Is there any way to improve color intensity? Image from YI looks washed out a little.
Mike

Here's a copy of the base firmware and the version with the bitrate increased:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...mware-base-1-0-bitrate-increased-6mbps.10410/

At the moment there is no way to tweak the colours etc - they can vary with different spot metering modes which the camera has available so longer term testing will show the best options to use and firmwares will help things as they are released from Xiaomi :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to punch up the colours use the software GoPro provide and use the power tune filter, it does a good job for a default setting

Ah is that the ProTune stuff I keep hearing about? I did give that a go and it gave some mega results - I can't remember but think you or Pier28 did a demo of it with a pic of a red bus maybe?

It's blue skies here today so I'll take it out with me again and see how she fares

Yeah I've posted that before and after protune pic here before somewhere, it does do a good job for point and click software

These little cameras are running a webserver:

upload_2015-3-22_16-59-52.png

I haven't managed to get the stream working from the browser yet as you get an error -15 - I'll have more of a tinker when I get home later tonight :)

No shell access that I've seen though.

Does your camera drain battery when off? Mine dropped from 60% to 0 in 5-6 hours. For the third time.
Mike

Yes, 1.0.
Mike
I left mine overnight and just turned it on and it's still blue so showing over 50% charge?

Maybe the battery needs a few cycles before it's ok - I did notice the app seems to massively get the battery wrong so I just go off the colour of the LED light ring on the front now.

@GearBest is that you Sunny in the video then? Nice nails :p

Back