[Xiaomi Yi] Share your scripts and settings

Don't know which settings I'm using at the moment, but looks good to me:

1080p@60fps, 35 mbit, slightly color-corrected and some more contrast. Original script has less contrast but far more saturation.

Could share my settings if anyone's interested.

Loving that video, what colour correction are you doing?

Loving that video, what colour correction are you doing?
Not much at all: Saturation was too strong in the original file, so I desaturated by about 10% and added contrasts: 10% for lights, -2% for middle and -7% for shadows.

Settings:
Code:
# vibrance/saturation adjustments
t ia2 -adj ev 0 0 145 0 0 180 0

# shadow/highlight clipping adjustments
t ia2 -adj ae 90
t ia2 -adj autoknee 50

# set gamma level
t ia2 -adj gamma 10

# enable 14 scene mode
t cal -sc 14

# set noise reduction value to 500
t ia2 -adj tidx -1 500 -1

Not much at all: Saturation was too strong in the original file, so I desaturated by about 10% and added contrasts: 10% for lights, -2% for middle and -7% for shadows.

Settings:
Code:

t ia2 -adj ae 90
t ia2 -adj autoknee 50

# set gamma level
t ia2 -adj gamma 10

# enable 14 scene mode
t cal -sc 14

Sorry did you mean you did edits in post to desaturate etc, or the settings above do that?

Thanks

So if I lower the values in the script a little I should with a bit of trial and error get the same results?

Just thinking about saving time and I'm a little lazy. Just thinking about doing minimal editing on my phone with iMovie and uploading direct from phone.

Settings:
Code:

t ia2 -adj ae 90
t ia2 -adj autoknee 50

# set gamma level
t ia2 -adj gamma 10

# enable 14 scene mode
t cal -sc 14

Is it possible for someone to make a 35mbs scripts of these settings?

So if I lower the values in the script a little I should with a bit of trial and error get the same results?

Just thinking about saving time and I'm a little lazy. Just thinking about doing minimal editing on my phone with iMovie and uploading direct from phone.

That's the way to go… but different scenarios require different settings. So my settings will be for skydiving, maybe your setting requires some other changes in parameters.

Is it possible for someone to make a 35mbs scripts of these settings?

Sure, most of the commands can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/PJanisio/Xiaomi_Yi_autoexec
I'm already on 35mbit using custom firmware, thats why I don't need a command for that in my autoexec.

First of all, Hello everybody, my Xiaomi is on the way, and even before ordering it, i read a lot about it. However after I've ordered it, i got a little bit unsecure if it was the real gopro alternative for low pocket money. (Other options were the iSAW EDGE or the SJ5000x - but in the end i ordered the Xiaomi for the price).

Now after reading a little bit here and there, i saw that the original product needed some fixes - nothing doomsday compared, but still a little bit frustrating that the end user still gets a "beta-product". (Hope this will change during next model??)

Finally, to the real question:

1. These autoexc.ash files can be simply written with all these codes, but what are essentials things a newb like me need to know to apply these settings to the cam? (Avoiding bootlop, broken OS, ...)

2. As i have read here before
It depends what do you want as final footage, a flat image nice for a postproduction or a vivid one (like gorpro) that can be already used?
I actually want to have a video similar to gopro standards however postproduction (Sony Vegas) will be used too. I saw also the Yimax and Yimovie autoexc.ash's however the video samples were a little bit too "dark" and somehow i missed details and contrast.
The video I shoot will be for some kind of "holiday" video.
[Example:
This video was shot with a gopro from a model couple. They used as far as i can tell normal gopro settings in 1080 60fps and added some kind of polaroid filter during the postproduction process. ]
So i want to achieve something similar (by video quality and color etc. - not the angles and persons ;) )

3. I've read here some people reduced Sharpness, may i ask why? Or should it be added during the postproduction?

4. Some Xiaomi video samples have some kind of image rendering lacks. By this i mean, if the camera moves to fast, the camera is to slow to capture a good quality video and has a lack of quality frames or some kind of compressed/pixelated video moments. For example this downhill video:
If you look closely, when the biker drives a little bit faster, the stones and grass are getting pixelated or it looks like the camera cant handle the fast movement. Any way to fix this?

5. I've also read that some people want to use 100% JPG. But why using an action cam to shoot pictures? Or is this meant by shooting HQ pictures with the timelapse? If so, some people suggested to use RAW, but can those RAW files be directly used with PS/ Sony Vegas/ Adobe After Effects, or do they need some convertements in addition too?

Thank you all for taking time to publish here your settings and edits, and thanks to those taking time and answering my questions!

p.s. To start with the Xiaomi, i guess, i start with the custom 35Mbps firmware of Fried? (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-custom-firmware-with-lastest-revision.13557/)

Last edited:
Pixelation is mostly because of low bitrate. As you already pointed out: Raise your bitrate to 35 Mpbs using custom firmware.

It depends what do you want as final footage, a flat image nice for a postproduction or a vivid one (like gorpro) that can be already used?
So in this case, issue 4) would be solved by high bitrate? (Sorry for obvious questions like those, but I'm used to standard bitrates of 35Mbps on my Nikon D5200)

Update: I don't think bitrate solves to problem completely, as you can see here in a footage i found. The camera still can't handle those fast moving shootings.
Xiaomi Yi 1080p60 35 mbit test

Last edited:
Nobody here who could help? :p
Man, you using youtube videos. Ther is know low bit rate fast movement problem with yt uploads.
Are your movies from yi have the same problem , played on your pc ?

Hi, Im having a problem with writing a basic script with timelapse and raw files.
every raw file is broken when i try to convert it in RAW2DNG " unsupported format error"

First of all, Hello everybody, my Xiaomi is on the way, and even before ordering it, i read a lot about it. However after I've ordered it, i got a little bit unsecure if it was the real gopro alternative for low pocket money. (Other options were the iSAW EDGE or the SJ5000x - but in the end i ordered the Xiaomi for the price).

Now after reading a little bit here and there, i saw that the original product needed some fixes - nothing doomsday compared, but still a little bit frustrating that the end user still gets a "beta-product". (Hope this will change during next model??)

Finally, to the real question:

1. These autoexc.ash files can be simply written with all these codes, but what are essentials things a newb like me need to know to apply these settings to the cam? (Avoiding bootlop, broken OS, ...)

2. As i have read here before

I actually want to have a video similar to gopro standards however postproduction (Sony Vegas) will be used too. I saw also the Yimax and Yimovie autoexc.ash's however the video samples were a little bit too "dark" and somehow i missed details and contrast.
The video I shoot will be for some kind of "holiday" video.
[Example:
This video was shot with a gopro from a model couple. They used as far as i can tell normal gopro settings in 1080 60fps and added some kind of polaroid filter during the postproduction process. ]
So i want to achieve something similar (by video quality and color etc. - not the angles and persons ;) )

3. I've read here some people reduced Sharpness, may i ask why? Or should it be added during the postproduction?

4. Some Xiaomi video samples have some kind of image rendering lacks. By this i mean, if the camera moves to fast, the camera is to slow to capture a good quality video and has a lack of quality frames or some kind of compressed/pixelated video moments. For example this downhill video:
If you look closely, when the biker drives a little bit faster, the stones and grass are getting pixelated or it looks like the camera cant handle the fast movement. Any way to fix this?

5. I've also read that some people want to use 100% JPG. But why using an action cam to shoot pictures? Or is this meant by shooting HQ pictures with the timelapse? If so, some people suggested to use RAW, but can those RAW files be directly used with PS/ Sony Vegas/ Adobe After Effects, or do they need some convertements in addition too?

Thank you all for taking time to publish here your settings and edits, and thanks to those taking time and answering my questions!

p.s. To start with the Xiaomi, i guess, i start with the custom 35Mbps firmware of Fried? (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-custom-firmware-with-lastest-revision.13557/)

What about the other questions? :p

Man, you using youtube videos. Ther is know low bit rate fast movement problem with yt uploads.
Are your movies from yi have the same problem , played on your pc ?

And i know about youtube compression, however i didnt know that the compression was in this case so aggressive that it made the camera look like it couldnt handle fast movements

Hi, Im having a problem with writing a basic script with timelapse and raw files.
every raw file is broken when i try to convert it in RAW2DNG " unsupported format error"
I had the same problem. It was solved by adding the following line to raw2nef.ini with Notepad.
23887872, 0, 4608, 2592, 7, 9216, 16, 4, YDXJ

I had the same problem. It was solved by adding the following line to raw2nef.ini with Notepad.
23887872, 0, 4608, 2592, 7, 9216, 16, 4, YDXJ
still the same :( any other ideas, copy youre autoexec file

hi everybody :)
may I ask a little help
Did anybody knows how can I set default photo mode to "time-lapse movie" (instead of "time-lapse photo") using autoexec.ash file?

I have this script finetuned, but still have issues as highlight and shadows are too bright, I am not sure what to change, could you help?

#2304x1296 30 fps 30 mbps
writeb 0xC06CC426 0x02
writew 0xC05C1EB2 0x41F0
#set AV out 4:3 mode
writew 0xC05C2CCC 0x41F0
writew 0xC05C1E52 0x4190
#writeb 0xC06CC426 0x00
#YiMAX script by nutsey for 1.2.0 firmware
#vibrance/saturation adjustments
#t ia2 -adj ev 0 0 140 0 0 150 0
t ia2 -adj ev 0 0 150 0 0 160 0
#shadow/highlight clipping adjustments
t ia2 -adj l_expo 163
#RAW WB + IMPROVED HIGHLIGHTS script by nutsey
t ia2 -3a 1 0 0 1
t ia2 -awb off
t ia2 -adj autoknee 255
#set gamma level
#t ia2 -adj gamma 220
t ia2 -adj gamma 180
#enable 14 scene mode
t cal -sc 14
# Fix ISO to 100
t ia2 -ae exp 100 0 0
sleep 10
#Set JPEG quality to 100%
t cal -jqlt 100
#enable raw+jpeg stills
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 9
#set noise reduction value to 1024
t ia2 -adj tidx -1 1024 -1

Should I change autoknee or gamma levels etc and to what and how?

Here are videos recorded with this script:

Thanks!

Back