XIAOMI Yi sport Camera died after firmware update

Contents of autoexec.ash:

firmfl prog yifirmware.bin > progress.txt
rm yifirmware.bin
rm autoexec.ash
poweroff

Also I am not 100% sure what you mean, but I think each time I take the SD card out I have the battery out and usb cable unplugged so that should suffice.

I think there might be another microSD card around, I will track it down

I couldnt find any information about firmfl, do you have a copy of its MAN page? Im wondering if it has a verbose flag I can set, see if it can give us any more clues

Just checking but the battery is back in when you're trying to do the upgrade?

It might be worth adding the following line to the script:

Code:
firmfl > firmfl.txt

Try that and see what options it comes back with maybe.

Looking at the output those nvd files are created at the same time firmfl runs - I'm guessing it's not doing naff all for 15 mins. We did see another that was doing this but then it worked after the battery was dropped out and in again.

Might be worth trying to run the microSD card through h2testw to just make sure it's ok?

Yep the battery is always in the back while trying to do the upgrade, and connected to power. I have tried a combo of no-battery/usb only, battery only also.

I just found a 16gb microSD card from a camera, just need to make a backup first before I wipe it.

It's probably worth deleting those nvd_* files - actually could you copy them somewhere too just so we can see what's in them please?

To be honest I've not seen those nvd files before - there is an NVD command which says it can flash or wipe that area - I've got a feeling maybe they're the bootloader so I'd stay well away.

Let's try again with that 16GB card and we'll see what happens then - hopefully something a bit better!

Loud and clear, you don't have to tell me twice haha!

Thanks for all your help so far! Its 1:28AM here in New Zealand so I should probably head off anyways and get some sleep before work haha!

Do you have skype btw?

Last edited:
Someone said to press the top button and then the power once then letting go the top button, now it doesn't turn on anymore. Please help.

@StingRhea I see you are in Singapore, why don't you just call Xiaomi Support and they should be able to help out if any of the solutions mentioned above do not work?
http://www.mi.com/sg/service/online/

Because they are closed now.
From https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi/
Solution 1:
  1. Turn off the Xiaomi Yi
  2. Press and hold the top button
  3. Press the on / off button once
  4. Release the top button
This does not resolve the problem for all users.
<- And this caused my camera not to power on anymore. Can someone please delete that from the solution?

I tried doing the steps having the ash and bin file on the root of the memory card, but every time I want to power it up all I see is the red light above.

Plugging into power also has the same effect. Battery is on full charge.

http://telchina.pl/the-25-important-faq-about-xiaomi-yi-action-camera-must-know-t16765.html
Q4. How to restore factory settings?

A4: After connected to the smartphone, you can find the “factory data reset”.
Or you can press the power button and WIFI button for a while, after a “DI” sound, it will be reset to factory data.

This turns off the red light, but powering on after that the red light reappears, stays on for that way, till god knows when.

Ah there's an easier way for Wi-Fi - if you configure the camera to auto boot into video mode via the application you'll get the red lights all come on when it has booted - once the red lights come on you can just give the WiFi button a quick press and it will come straight on :)

I do wonder if the app is basically getting a terminated download and then not properly checking the MD5 sum of the firmware file before trying to upgrade the camera - hopefully if it's something they've fixed in 1.0 it will start to die down a bit in terms of the noise that was generated :)

Is this the problem I am having? When I power up all the red lights come on. But pressing the WiFi button nothing comes on?

To be honest yours is the first I've heard that has had this particular issue - maybe dropping out the battery for 30 seconds and then reinsert it and then see what happens when you power it up?

It might be worth trying it with no microSD as well just to see if there's a card problem causing the camera to hang?

Removing the battery for 30 seconds and reinserting it has no difference. No microSD no difference.

I've tried naming the bin file to yifirmware, firmware and also taking the firmware from my phone (1.07) also makes no difference. Progress.txt doesn't even generate. I just simply can't power on after doing that step in that page that says to press and hold top button, followed by pressing and releasing the power button.

To be honest that sounds like the bootloader has totally erased too - if that has happened it really is dead - if you plug the cable into a PC does it detect any devices?

I hate to say it but I've got a bad feeling yours is not recoverable - no one has managed to find a way to get to DirectUSB on these cameras yet or even find a suitable ELF file so even if we could get that far we don't have the right format software to recover it.

If it doesn't run commands from the microSD file it's totally dead - to be honest it would be much quicker to get it swapped out by the reseller as otherwise there may never be a fix for that one :(

To be honest that sounds like the bootloader has totally erased too - if that has happened it really is dead - if you plug the cable into a PC does it detect any devices?

I hate to say it but I've got a bad feeling yours is not recoverable - no one has managed to find a way to get to DirectUSB on these cameras yet or even find a suitable ELF file so even if we could get that far we don't have the right format software to recover it.

If it doesn't run commands from the microSD file it's totally dead - to be honest it would be much quicker to get it swapped out by the reseller as otherwise there may never be a fix for that one :(

Then I'll be the unlucky one and also the sacrificial lamb that tried Solution 1. Nothing gets detected. Bought this set from eBay. Not locally. Guess I'm proper f-ed now. Going to get a Go Pro and the first video I'd take is burning this up and smashing it to bits. What a waste of time and money. Not even 12 hours of it's unboxing.

Do you get anything detected if you plug it into a PC?

Do you get anything detected if you plug it into a PC?

No sir, nothing at all. All I could do to switch off those lights were to depress both power and wifi simultaneously. I tried all button combinations.

What about if you try doing that two button trick again?

It might be worth trying something similar to this:

Code:
To enter the built-in USB command mode, you can do the following:
[LIST=1]
[*]Disconnect USB from camera
[*]Remove battery
[*]Insert battery
[*]Press and HOLD the Shutter button
[*]Plug in USB
[*]Press the Power button
[*]Release the Shutter button
[/LIST]
There might not be anything showing on the screen when the Power button is pressed. If the charging LED was on, it might turn off. Otherwise, the camera will still "look" completely dead. But, the camera should enumerate as a USB device with a VID/PID of 4255:0001 (for Hero2) or VID/PID of 4255:0003 for the Hero3 Black.

That's for a GoPro but it's the only thing I can think of - if the camera doesn't respond to USB and it doesn't respond to what's on the microSD it really has got itself into a twist.

What about if you try doing that two button trick again?

It might be worth trying something similar to this:

Code:
To enter the built-in USB command mode, you can do the following:
[LIST=1]
[*]Disconnect USB from camera
[*]Remove battery
[*]Insert battery
[*]Press and HOLD the Shutter button
[*]Plug in USB
[*]Press the Power button
[*]Release the Shutter button
[/LIST]
There might not be anything showing on the screen when the Power button is pressed. If the charging LED was on, it might turn off. Otherwise, the camera will still "look" completely dead. But, the camera should enumerate as a USB device with a VID/PID of 4255:0001 (for Hero2) or VID/PID of 4255:0003 for the Hero3 Black.

That's for a GoPro but it's the only thing I can think of - if the camera doesn't respond to USB and it doesn't respond to what's on the microSD it really has got itself into a twist.

Didn't work for me as well. Those 3 red lights went on. Only off when I pulled the battery out. (Or if I depress the power and wifi buttons simultaneously for 20s)

Back