Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - Custom Firmware (Base 1.0.7) - Bitrate Increased to 30Mbps all modes

they used to be in the first and some next posts, were removed since we may have different hardware in cameras. So the best way is to
make them. Read whole thread, you will find how.

Thanks, yes it did help. I have been following the whole thread but i couldnt find the youtube video you just quoted, thanks again.

So I used the DIY method to create my own firmware based off of 1.0.12 for 22L. But, after update, the auto-off setting can not be set. What have I done wrong?

Hi, great threat. It took me a while to understand how to do you DIY firmware but finally I managed it. I'm still having issues with my videos stuttering. I'm using a 64GB Samsung Pro Class 10 SDXC card. I checked it and it is a original one but I'm still having trubles and I'm not satisfied with the videos. They are not as good as all the videos posted. Could there be any problem with the microSD causing that? It appeared before and after the DIY firmware. I tried different resolutions but all the same. Thanks in advance.

Hi, great threat. It took me a while to understand how to do you DIY firmware but finally I managed it. I'm still having issues with my videos stuttering. I'm using a 64GB Samsung Pro Class 10 SDXC card. I checked it and it is a original one but I'm still having trubles and I'm not satisfied with the videos. They are not as good as all the videos posted. Could there be any problem with the microSD causing that? It appeared before and after the DIY firmware. I tried different resolutions but all the same. Thanks in advance.
What if you connect your camera to TV - still problem with video? maybe your CPU in the computer is to slow?

... I'm still having issues with my videos stuttering. I'm using a 64GB Samsung Pro Class 10 SDXC card. I checked it and it is a original one but I'm still having trubles and I'm not satisfied with the videos. They are not as good as all the videos posted. ...
- Are you playing your video directly from the card or do you copy the video to your hard disk and play it from there?
- If you're comparing to others' YouTube videos, try uploading your video to YouTube and see how it plays from there.

Hi all. I was using all the guides here in the thread and made my own firmware with 30Mb across the board, very happy :). I was wondering though, is it possible to change the picture (even at the expense of a few MP) to a 16:9 ratio instead of 4:3 one? thanks to all you guys here, you are ding a really important and appreciated job (at least by me :) ).

Hi everyone. I'd like to say my thanks as well for the bitrate editor video guide and the spreadshet for the correct locations of resolution/fps. I made my own modified firmware for Z23L went CBR/Type1 all the way. Firmware installed successfully but I am yet to test it.

EDIT 1:

During the first video recordings there was a beeping and crackling sound and it was really bad and kind'a annoying. My cam was in a WP case at that time and so I decided to take it out of the case but the beeping and crackling sound was still there. I did not noticed that in the official firmware. Anyone had experienced the same?

1080/60fps@35Mbps - Only did a 30sec video and I like it because it's really smooth. But again there was that beeping and cracking sound. File size was around 128MB.

1080/30fps@30Mbps - Also a 30sec video and I didn't like it. Video was jumpy and like there was a stutter plus the beeping and crackling sound. File size was around 114MB

I am using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 U1 rating.

Will try to flash back official firmware.

EDIT 2: I'm back to stock firmware and the beeping and crackling sound is still there. Will mod another firmware when I get back home.
edit2.1: went 35Mbps in all resolution and fps for High quality and went back to VBR. I just thought that's the best option.

Also, I thought Yi can't handle larger that 64GB microSD card. I just tried my 128GB Lexar 633x microSD card and it was accepted. I was able to take photos and record video.

Edit 3: Found a fix on the crackling sound from youtube. Will try that later.
edit3.1: I think I was able to fixed it.

Thanks and Regards.

Last edited:
A camera that supports a 64GB card (sdxc) it can support cards up to 2TB.

Hello from Germany!

I got the Z23L version too.
It would be awesome if you could upload the firmware file somewhere for me. Have you managed to get rid of the crackling sound problem?

Greetings & Thanks :)

Hi everyone. I'd like to say my thanks as well for the bitrate editor video guide and the spreadshet for the correct locations of resolution/fps. I made my own modified firmware for Z23L went CBR/Type1 all the way. Firmware installed successfully but I am yet to test it.

EDIT 1:

During the first video recordings there was a beeping and crackling sound and it was really bad and kind'a annoying. My cam was in a WP case at that time and so I decided to take it out of the case but the beeping and crackling sound was still there. I did not noticed that in the official firmware. Anyone had experienced the same?

1080/60fps@35Mbps - Only did a 30sec video and I like it because it's really smooth. But again there was that beeping and cracking sound. File size was around 128MB.

1080/30fps@30Mbps - Also a 30sec video and I didn't like it. Video was jumpy and like there was a stutter plus the beeping and crackling sound. File size was around 114MB

I am using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 U1 rating.

Will try to flash back official firmware.

EDIT 2: I'm back to stock firmware and the beeping and crackling sound is still there. Will mod another firmware when I get back home.
edit2.1: went 35Mbps in all resolution and fps for High quality and went back to VBR. I just thought that's the best option.

Also, I thought Yi can't handle larger that 64GB microSD card. I just tried my 128GB Lexar 633x microSD card and it was accepted. I was able to take photos and record video.

Edit 3: Found a fix on the crackling sound from youtube. Will try that later.
edit3.1: I think I was able to fixed it.

Thanks and Regards.

Hello,

Will upload it to google drive later when I get home.
Yes, the crackling sound is gone now.I did the fix slightly different way, as covering the antenna with a tape alone does not work on my camera. Though the noise was minimized I could still here it.

I used a tin plastic card like those that are used in calling card or a prepaid card. Cut a small strip to cover the antenna on the front panel of the camera. Then cut another small square then punch a small hole in the middle and put it on the small pin that makes contact with the antenna. This way, the crackling sound are fully gone now.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzasxiLlc8rR3JOR2tib01qaDQ/view?usp=sharing

Regards.
Alvin

Hello from Germany!

I got the Z23L version too.
It would be awesome if you could upload the firmware file somewhere for me. Have you managed to get rid of the crackling sound problem?

Greetings & Thanks :)

Last edited:
I have download 1 versios in other size firmware 1.0.12 is this correct? I have proved and in filming it makes 18 sec video parts
instead of one full part of 5 min. is this normal?

Hey, thank you very much for the fast response & effort !

I've installed your custom firmware and it works like a charm. I don't have any sound issues so far. But thanks for the tutorial :)

Greetings

Hello,

Will upload it to google drive later when I get home.
Yes, the crackling sound is gone now.I did the fix slightly different way, as covering the antenna with a tape alone does not work on my camera. Though the noise was minimized I could still here it.

I used a tin plastic card like those that are used in calling card or a prepaid card. Cut a small strip to cover the antenna on the front panel of the camera. Then cut another small square then punch a small hole in the middle and put it on the small pin that makes contact with the antenna. This way, the crackling sound are fully gone now.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzasxiLlc8rR3JOR2tib01qaDQ/view?usp=sharing

Regards.
Alvin

hey guys sorry havent been on dashcamtalk forum for a long time
but good news, bluetooth remote control is about to release, xiaoyi sent to me to test before officially publish, all thanks to them!
this video itself doesnt contain much info but hope u guys enjoy, sub to stay tuned, I'm always able to get the first news about xiaoyi as I have a good relationship with them, any suggestions plz message me.

When will it be released and is a New Firmware update on the way to activate Bluetooth ?

The new firmware is out : version 1.1.0.
Nothing about bluetooth for now but a lot of stability optimization.

Go to check at http://www.xiaoyi.com/home/upgrade.html with your serial number or directly from the app.

Changelog (google translate from Chinese changelog) :
- Increase power main light blinking function to indicate that the system startup is completed
- Optimization of Wi-Fi-handling mechanism, improve stability, improve the user experience
- Video optimization mechanisms to improve video clips automatically stop causing more problems and improve stability
- Optimize boot SD card identification mechanism, amendment does not recognize the problem
- Optimize camera and APP interaction, improve the user experience
- Optimize battery indicator mechanism
- Optimization restore factory settings Tone
- Issues Fixed camera, video recording function
- Fixed USB mode Issues

Changelog (google translate from Chinese changelog) :
- Increase power main light blinking function to indicate that the system startup is completed
- Optimization of Wi-Fi-handling mechanism, improve stability, improve the user experience
- Video optimization mechanisms to improve video clips automatically stop causing more problems and improve stability
- Optimize boot SD card identification mechanism, amendment does not recognize the problem
- Optimize camera and APP interaction, improve the user experience
- Optimize battery indicator mechanism
- Optimization restore factory settings Tone
- Issues Fixed camera, video recording function
- Fixed USB mode Issue

---edited---
nevermind, I've mod it myself (35mbps,30mbps), it's so easy...
thank you very much for the tutorials and the XLS

Last edited:
hey guys sorry havent been on dashcamtalk forum for a long time
but good news, bluetooth remote control is about to release, xiaoyi sent to me to test before officially publish, all thanks to them!
this video itself doesnt contain much info but hope u guys enjoy, sub to stay tuned, I'm always able to get the first news about xiaoyi as I have a good relationship with them, any suggestions plz message me.

can you send us the firmware you used in the video? are you allowed to do that? LOL so we can test if 3rd party bluetooth remote shutter works with yi or not.

Last edited:
Could you mod the firmware v1.1.0 Z22L to 30mbps..

Back