Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - Custom Firmware (Base 1.0.7) - Bitrate Increased to 30Mbps all modes

Hey guy, I just got my Yi this week and liking it so far also uploaded the z23l custom firmware and it's working great. But I just wanted to get a 2nd option if I need to adjust my focus. Here's the first video I shot before the custom firmware.

By the looks of it, you certainly has focusing issue. Notice how it focus on your smartphone and your car but not the shop or the trees. BTW, please upload 30fps especially on lowlight condition so we can see sharper vids for comparison to dropbox.

Hey guy, I just got my Yi this week and liking it so far also uploaded the z23l custom firmware and it's working great. But I just wanted to get a 2nd option if I need to adjust my focus. Here's the first video I shot before the custom firmware.

My personal opinion is that your focus appears to be a bit too close, but I don't know what you are using the camera to record most of the time.

no need for zip, you can do MD5sum on any file you like.
And yes, verifying MD5 for firmwares is not a good idea, its a MUST

Hi,
i bought this Yi a week ago and i have updated to the latest firmware 1.2.0 (z23L) ... but now i found an error while starting up the camera, it wont take the picture, all of the button (the power button , Wifi ) wont work either ... and then i found that removing the microSD will solve the problem (i use a generic microSD , V Gen 8GB SDHC).

My question : what is happening with my Yi ? Should i use a premium type of memCard , like SanDisk ?

thank you in advance

just wondering if quialty can be better then this?

a video i took in 30fps 1080.

137MB

https://mega.co.nz/#!RQQliLTa!k39tSMyV7AQ5Fv9EYnRN_YoMpRVYOWXJFHPwW2tsd6o

if need youtube upload i can upload also, its just you guys said better upload to host..

just another small question:
is there any diffrent between 1.0.12 to 1.2 ? which one has less bugs and basicly preforms better?

Last edited:
Hi,
i'm gonna receive my Yi this week or the next one. I just wanna know if there is any tuto to show how modify the firmware in order to increase the bitrate ?

Thank you :)

Hi,
i'm gonna receive my Yi this week or the next one. I just wanna know if there is any tuto to show how modify the firmware in order to increase the bitrate ?

You've posted to both of the pertinent threads, here & here.
Here's a video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=70&v=MvkWWiQ0WQ4
And another:

The other thread you posted to here provides information about using scripts on your microSD card at startup to temporarily change values in the camera's memory.
You can download sample/functional scripts at https://github.com/funneld/XiaomiYi provided by funnel, the member who started that thread.

Read through both threads for the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering if quialty can be better then this?

a video i took in 30fps 1080.

137MB

https://mega.co.nz/#!RQQliLTa!k39tSMyV7AQ5Fv9EYnRN_YoMpRVYOWXJFHPwW2tsd6o

if need youtube upload i can upload also, its just you guys said better upload to host..

just another small question:
is there any diffrent between 1.0.12 to 1.2 ? which one has less bugs and basicly preforms better?

Seriously, shooting at 30fps and moving around as much are you are....its hard to tell. But, just my opinion, based on the many other videos I have seen...you should look into refocusing your camera. Search youtube for the howto.

By the looks of it, you certainly has focusing issue. Notice how it focus on your smartphone and your car but not the shop or the trees. BTW, please upload 30fps especially on lowlight condition so we can see sharper vids for comparison to dropbox.
Yea I kinda of notice it's to close too. So I order a hdmi adapter so I can view my focus in real time. But I remember seeing a picture that I'm suppose to printout for focus but can remember where I saw it. I'm really want to use this for some snowboarding video and some car racing video at the drag strip. So how far should the object be from the camera to get the focus right?

Yea I kinda of notice it's to close too. So I order a hdmi adapter so I can view my focus in real time. But I remember seeing a picture that I'm suppose to printout for focus but can remember where I saw it. I'm really want to use this for some snowboarding video and some car racing video at the drag strip. So how far should the object be from the camera to get the focus right?

Try here...link to picture in synopsis.

I still haven't done the focus fix, but does this seem better then the other video.

I'd say that video looks better than your previous one. It would be nice to see a video shot in brighter conditions. But I still say that you need to adjust the focus on that camera. When you faced the person next to you it was not sharp at all. Using the above video, and the picture supplied, you should be able to get a decent focus on stuff within a few feet and maintain sharpness out to the point where it doesn't matter any more since its so far away from you. Do the refocusing with decent light. Play with it going back and forth an you will see the blur get bigger and smaller. Stop when you think you have got it as small as possible. With mine I stopped when the blur became just a big of jaggedness as opposed to soft blur. I also had my page about 7-8 feet out, but I use my camera on a quadcopter all the time.

New app 1.9 and firmware, who has found the log file?

New app 1.9 and firmware, who has found the log file?
Xiaomi website shows latest Yi FW version is still at 1.20 (since 6-19-15).
IOS app is still version 1.8.
Android app is 1.9.

Back