You see, they don't know how to ride a motorcycle ....

Andrew Newman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WARNING: This video may be considered shocking or violent, watch at your own risk!

Some of those you can't help but blame the motorcycle driver. Going way to fast, driving in between vehicles or down the shoulder because you think you have nine lives. SMH.

Last edited:
Glad the guy on the nurburgring got back up and walked away.

But these videos remind me how I'm glad to be a "cager" so that when I'm doing everything right and someone else screws up, I don't get killed or maimed as a result.

Thats the only place you will ever see me on a motorcycle ( a race track )

BUT ! I do think they have to scrape me off something sooner or later, cuz i never had a MC license and i always had high thoughts about my own driving skills.
Okay those skills and my thoughts about them have only been challenged one time, and after a little wheel time i was good.
But that was a whole other thing than a motorcycle on a race track.

Still i am up for it if some one have a race track and a motorcycle they are not too attached to anyway ;)

Glad the guy on the nurburgring got back up and walked away.

But these videos remind me how I'm glad to be a "cager" so that when I'm doing everything right and someone else screws up, I don't get killed or maimed as a result.
Unless your car catches on fire as a result of the accident and you can't get out. Then I'm sure you won't be so glad to be in a "cage".

Out of the 21 clips (I don't consider the one of the Nürburgring because it's not a normal road accident), 11 were the "cager's" fault, so it's not really about knowing how to ride or not.

Out of the 21 clips (I don't consider the one of the Nürburgring because it's not a normal road accident), 11 were the "cager's" fault, so it's not really about knowing how to ride or not.

I'd somewhat disagree with this. Riding doesn't equate with driving because fault doesn't matter when you're likely going to end up dead if things go pear-shaped. In a cage you will likely survive a crash, but that's reversed when riding. Riding correctly ignores fault for surviving no matter what else happens. I'd say that it is much like a fighter plane in a dogfight or a heart surgeon having very limited time available before the patient can't recover. You have to look for and see everything constantly, imagining what every possibility is while planning what to do should any possibility actually occur. Then you have to react quickly enough when it does go wrong. Repeat that process ten times per second until the kickstand goes down ;) Same as with any mental activity some do better than others but here if you drop below the minimums required, you're dead or worse (and there is worse). Not everyone can ride well even though almost everyone can learn to ride.

Most of these riders expected something else from the drivers without creating options for themselves if that didn't happen-Rider's fault. Most of them didn't seem to try for the best way out of the situation when there was time to at least try, and most of them could actually have made it through better quite easily in the time they had-Rider's fault again. And many of them seemed to be riding well beyond their or their bike's capabilities (the top deadly sin of riding)- Rider's fault yet again. It's a totally different game than driving, which is why so many guy's here who buy their 'dream bike' at middle-age get killed riding; they try to use their lifetime of driving habits and skills to ride thinking that's enough to get them home :( On a bike you're always at fault to some degree when things go wrong. I speak from years of riding experience here and know whereof I speak.

I heard a pilot put it this way: You have two bags, one is luck and the other is learned skills. The trick is to have enough in the second bag to get you through when the first bag suddenly goes empty, which it will sooner or later most certainly do. Sometimes nothing you can do will be enough but you knew that before you stepped into the c0ckpit so that is yours too.

Phil

@SawMaster, that is so true. When I was much younger, I owned several bikes. I had a couple of close calls that were only mitigated by my having prepared mentally for the event I envisioned could happen and then did. In one instance, when my bike stopped, I was inches from the driver's door. (She had run a red light.) In another instance, my left pants leg was torn by the corner of a pickup truck bed when the driver turned in front of me and I swerved to avoid hitting him and rolled off into the woods unharmed. In both cases, I had already processed in my mind what I would do should the other driver do the unthinkable, which both of them did.

...The trick is to have enough in the second bag to get you through when the first bag suddenly goes empty,...
That is the exact reason I quit riding many, many years ago (before I could even drink legally). There was no doubt in my mind that the first bag would be empty long before the second was full enough to carry me through.

This realization came when I hit a patch of 'black ice' on a curve in the road and the wheels instantly went horizontal. Fortunately I went onto the shoulder of the road instead of into the oncoming traffic lane which would have happened if the curve had been in the opposite direction. This incident also demonstrated to me how absolutely, totally unprotected and vulnerable you are when riding.

Motorcyclist makes good drivers. With dashcam installed, moreso.

I'd somewhat disagree with this. Riding doesn't equate with driving because fault doesn't matter when you're likely going to end up dead if things go pear-shaped. In a cage you will likely survive a crash, but that's reversed when riding. Riding correctly ignores fault for surviving no matter what else happens. I'd say that it is much like a fighter plane in a dogfight or a heart surgeon having very limited time available before the patient can't recover. You have to look for and see everything constantly, imagining what every possibility is while planning what to do should any possibility actually occur. Then you have to react quickly enough when it does go wrong. Repeat that process ten times per second until the kickstand goes down ;) Same as with any mental activity some do better than others but here if you drop below the minimums required, you're dead or worse (and there is worse). Not everyone can ride well even though almost everyone can learn to ride.

Most of these riders expected something else from the drivers without creating options for themselves if that didn't happen-Rider's fault. Most of them didn't seem to try for the best way out of the situation when there was time to at least try, and most of them could actually have made it through better quite easily in the time they had-Rider's fault again. And many of them seemed to be riding well beyond their or their bike's capabilities (the top deadly sin of riding)- Rider's fault yet again. It's a totally different game than driving, which is why so many guy's here who buy their 'dream bike' at middle-age get killed riding; they try to use their lifetime of driving habits and skills to ride thinking that's enough to get them home :( On a bike you're always at fault to some degree when things go wrong. I speak from years of riding experience here and know whereof I speak.

I heard a pilot put it this way: You have two bags, one is luck and the other is learned skills. The trick is to have enough in the second bag to get you through when the first bag suddenly goes empty, which it will sooner or later most certainly do. Sometimes nothing you can do will be enough but you knew that before you stepped into the c0ckpit so that is yours too.

Phil
You may be right about many things but I have 5 dead friends whose only "fault" was to be riding normally. None of them had a chance to react, avoid or escape. :(
I was left traumatized for life after witnessing the accidents where 2 of those friends died, so it's very difficult for me to agree with you or anybody that label motorcyclists' behavior as one and the same and always with some degree of fault in an accident. It's a very sensitive matter to me and I won't be discussing it any further.

Last edited:
I wasn't counting. In a lot of them car drivers were at fault but the bikers were going too fast to have any chance to do anything about it. Just foolish.
I always used speed on a bike to put distance between me and cars, not to put myself in deadly danger.

@Module 79L
My apologies Sir, and while I wasn't present it's the same here including one of the only 4 I ever felt safe riding beside. It does sometimes happen.

Phil

Unless your car catches on fire as a result of the accident and you can't get out. Then I'm sure you won't be so glad to be in a "cage".
unfortunately, the odds of getting hurt on a bike are WAY higher than getting trapped in a "cage". most cars have at least 4 ways out (2 doors plus front and back windows), and the odds of ALL of the doors and windows being completely blocked at the same time, or you being pinned inside somehow, are so much lower than the odds of being hurt/killed on a bike... they aren't even in the same ballpark.

my brother was actually in a wreck involving fire while driving a toyota corolla. he says a ball joint failed causing him to run off the road into a fuel storage tank. thankfully he was wearing fire-retardant clothing because he'd just finished a job at a natural gas pipeline plant. the impact (and fire) was on the front driver side, and fire was coming in thru the window (which had been rolled down) so it burned his arm and face. he crawled out the passenger side and got away from it even though his leg (tibia/fibia) was broken in the crash. now he has a metal rod in his leg and some scarring on his forearm and cheek. he used to ride sport bikes, and he said he was glad he was in a car when this happened because all that metal gave him protection from the fire, and he had enough time to get out/away from it.

now he jokes about it. "remember that time my car overheated?" :rolleyes:

"remember that time my car overheated?" :rolleyes:

Did it look something like my Buick?
P7090020_zps0ehywpw7.jpg

Lost a G1WC ,forgot to grab it bailing out. Gonna use the "overheating" phrase if you don't mind.

Phil

The car was stopped in the road elsewhere when I bailed out, but was afire moving before I stopped. I'd hoped the moving air might blow the flames out but nada. Fire extinguisher was in the trunk which was my only thought ATM, and it wasn't enough. By then the interior was in flames :(

The car? Meh, no great loss, got lots of years use from it. Hated losing the cam and card though, it had crisper video than my Mobius day or night. Me? This makes the second car that turned to toast while driving it so I knew exactly how loud to scream, er, what to do. AIN'T looking for any more 'overheating' car experiences :p
Phil

The car was stopped in the road elsewhere when I bailed out, but was afire moving before I stopped. I'd hoped the moving air might blow the flames out but nada. Fire extinguisher was in the trunk which was my only thought ATM, and it wasn't enough. By then the interior was in flames :(

The car? Meh, no great loss, got lots of years use from it. Hated losing the cam and card though, it had crisper video than my Mobius day or night. Me? This makes the second car that turned to toast while driving it so I knew exactly how loud to scream, er, what to do. AIN'T looking for any more 'overheating' car experiences :p
Phil
I like your attitude, but if you do not mind stay away from me :D

I will. I'd hate to get banned from DCT for flaming another member ;)

Did it look something like my Buick?
P7090020_zps0ehywpw7.jpg

Lost a G1WC ,forgot to grab it bailing out. Gonna use the "overheating" phrase if you don't mind.

Phil
worse, since it burned for quite a while. there was no trace of rubber, plastic or glass left anywhere - not even remnants of wire harnesses. it was like someone had dunked the car in acid and only clean(ish) metal remained... oh, and the rusted steel belts from the tires.

Back