Mobius mounting solutions

Quickly flicked through all 36 pages and looked at the pics of how people mounted them in the back, I noticed no one has used a suction mount for the rear, is it a bad idea to do so as I ordered one as currently I just use double sided tape and stuck it to the ceiling of the car but it keeps falling off, I've also got an adhesive mount for it, would that be a better bet or should I try an altogether different method?

Quickly flicked through all 36 pages and looked at the pics of how people mounted them in the back, I noticed no one has used a suction mount for the rear, is it a bad idea to do so as I ordered one as currently I just use double sided tape and stuck it to the ceiling of the car but it keeps falling off, I've also got an adhesive mount for it, would that be a better bet or should I try an altogether different method?
What I've done is bent an aluminium money clip to fit the shape of the roof lining, with the cradle stuck to it using double-sided tape.

What I've done is bent an aluminium money clip to fit the shape of the roof lining, with the cradle stuck to it using double-sided tape.

I see, think I'll give it a go if the suction mount isn't to my liking, cheers.

Was messing around with my helmet mount, it seems like the bolt is a little too long. tightening the camera all the way doesn't make it tight with the mount.

Anyone run into this before?

Could fix it by adding another rubber washer between the camera and the mount.

It's either that or contact the vendor about it.

Funny thing, happened to install my Mobius as a rear camera today using the helmet mount and am faced with the same problem. I actually thought my mount was faulty. Will try adding a foam pad tomorrow to see if that solves the vibration issues.

I ran into the same problem, I just added a metal washer, has not come loose unless it is bumped, does not vibrate either.

Yup, same problem here too. I had a few fiber washers lying around so I just added a couple underneath the rubber washer. Worked good.

after rummaging my nuts and bolts cup, I just added a metal washer between the knob and the mount.
seems like it will work just fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400801091173You can get it cheaper from China, if you don't mind waiting 4 weeks or so.
I've bought one of these and it looks like it will work great.
One question though. The quick release (sliding plate) is very stiff to move, especially once it clicks into place. Is this usable if mounted on a windscreen?

It doesn't really matter, since you can spin the carrier round and slide the Mobius out. Or unscrew it. But it would be nice to have the slide out option.
I'm thinking of adding some white lithium grease, or simply working the sliding part until it loosens up a bit.
Did you do anything along these lines, or just not bother with the feature?

One question though. The quick release (sliding plate) is very stiff to move, especially once it clicks into place. Is this usable if mounted on a windscreen?

It doesn't really matter, since you can spin the carrier round and slide the Mobius out. Or unscrew it. But it would be nice to have the slide out option.
I'm thinking of adding some white lithium grease, or simply working the sliding part until it loosens up a bit.
I think you're referring to the two plastic lugs that hold Mobius secure in it's cradle. See...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

...and scroll down to Mounting Options.

The Mobius was originally designed for RC aircraft so they made the cradle to be very secure in the event of a model aircraft or drone mishap. Some people like to shave down the lugs like in the link provided by @russ331 but I've found that over time they break in and the camera slides out more easily with repeated use. I like the idea that it is so secure so that the camera will be more likely to stay in place in the event of an accident, so for me it is worth the added inconvenience of the stiff lugs. I would recommend avoiding the use of any grease but it sounds like you are on the right track if you want to make it work more smoothly. Also, I find that a good technique to facilitate removal is to grasp the center tripod lug of the cradle with the crook of your index finger and push the camera out with your thumb.

. Also, I find that a good technique to facilitate removal is to grasp the center tripod lug with the crook of your index finger and push the camera out with your thumb.

yeah I think it comes down to technique, I think they got it pretty well spot on with how firm it is, seems just right to me

No, I'm referring to the helmet mount. The plate with the VHB tape on it slides off of the part with adjuster, screw mount etc.

HelmetMount.jpg

Last edited:
No, I'm referring to the helmet mount. The plate with the VHB tape on it slides off of the part with adjuster, screw mount etc.

Obviously, all of us thought you were speaking of the Mobius sliding camera cradle which upon a re-reading of your post, it still sounds like.

View attachment 20165
I didn't know the plate slides off in this way. Good to know.

I've been using these mounts attached to my car's fixed rear passenger windows, with my 2 Mobius cams in side-facing duties.

I removed the mounts from the rear passenger windows today, as they're unacceptably conspicuous in this location. I'll have to find somewhere else to locate them, possibly the C pillars.

I may even ditch the base plate (one of which is a slightly wobbly fit), & attach fresh 3M tape to the main part of the mount instead.

I didn't know the plate slides off in this way. Good to know.
It was only by chance I spotted the lock/unlock icons. Even then it's completely unclear which way to slide the pieces apart, LOL.:D

Back