XiaoMi Yi dashcam focus problems

@reverend

It's more look like the focus si made on your dashboard ... or the reflection of the dashboard on the windscreen
Not due to warm
These are fixed focus lenses so the focus drifts in and out due to changes in temperature. Whether it's the sensor mount or lens only Yi could tell you

the action camera has had focus issues also, in that case though those are just poor QA, not adjusted correctly during production

My apologies reverend, I were thinking there was some SW adjustment ^^

After check , the camera action have some focus issues, but seems not related to temperature https://oscarliang.com/fix-xiaomi-yi-camera-lens-focus-issue/

I am waiting mine (in transport right now)
No need to apologise, where did you get yours from? Hopefully it will be a newer one and won't have the issue - mine was fine the first week while it was cold and then as soon as we got some sunshine it fell to pieces so it will be good to hear how you get on.

I bought from Aliexpress. I am waiting the postman ^^

Ah ok fingers crossed - I had a response from Yi saying that they think the focus issues I am seeing are software related and to run through the autofocus menu item in the engineering mode. Seems a bit strange they're expecting users to have to run that!

We've got rain for the next week so I won't know if it makes any difference.

Looking at this post it won't though:

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one until the problem is fixed by Yi.

Last edited:
Ah ok fingers crossed - I had a response from Yi saying that they think the focus issues I am seeing are software related and to run through the autofocus menu item in the engineering mode. Seems a bit strange they're expecting users to have to run that!

We've got rain for the next week so I won't know if it makes any difference.

Looking at this post it won't though:

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one until the problem is fixed by Yi.

Posted in the wrong location, I was looking here for my post and I couldn't find it. Too many threads open...

I'm hoping the lens issue gets fixed. I'm currently going along the lines of only recommending the camera be used in cooler climates and never when parked. I don't know if I should completely pull my recommendation as XiaoYi has a good record so far.

I still don't like that the camera completely died when heated.

how confident are you that the temps were accurate?
Confident at the consumer level. I wish I had access to lab grade equipment.

The thermocouple and thermostat are both rated to be around ±2°C at that temperature range. The temperatures were previously tested using a infrared digital thermometer and were right on the mark.

The temperatures were previously tested using a infrared digital thermometer and were right on the mark.

yeah as long as you did that then I think that is fine, really surprised it cut out completely at that temp though which is why I asked if the temp was accurate, wouldn't be unheard of for the camera to end up over those kind of temps in a parked car in summer, that's a concern I think

Confident at the consumer level. I wish I had access to lab grade equipment.

The thermocouple and thermostat are both rated to be around ±2°C at that temperature range. The temperatures were previously tested using a infrared digital thermometer and were right on the mark.
I have two question:
1) Which one did you do ?
a) You raising tempature in chamber first, then put yi dashcam when tempature is set at 60.
b) You put yi dashcam when tem' chamber is 20, then raising temp ?
2) You said temp is 60. Which spot did you measure ? is this temp of air in chamber or temp of yi dashcam housing ?

@reverend take a look on this focus adjust for this dashcam :
Sorry I do not understand russian language...

I received mine yesterday, seems ok at first view

20160526_Edit : Video on Youtube :
on raw data, all plate numbers are readable from around 4meter distance

Last edited:
It's said that the losing focus problem can be fixed by upgrading firmware through Xiaoyi app. Xiaoyi app will automatic detect update when connected to the dashcam. Do you guys try that before?

It's said that the losing focus problem can be fixed by upgrading firmware through Xiaoyi app. Xiaoyi app will automatic detect update when connected to the dashcam. Do you guys try that before?
I don't think so. Losing focus can be fixed only by hand.

Out of focus needs manual adjustment, if it keeps losing focus that's a hardware issue unfortunately
Can it be that the new firmware somehow has been tweaked to emit less heat. From what I gather so far, it is not because of outside heat but the sensor heat which causes OOF issues.
Has anyone tried the new fw and can report.
And one more thing the OOF issue is not highlighted a lot of independent reviews by even dash cam forums, so can it be that it is a small number of the Dashcam that have these issues.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Can it be that the new firmware somehow has been tweaked to emit less heat. From what I gather so far, it is not because of outside heat but the sensor heat which causes OOF issues.
Has anyone tried the new fw and can report.
And one more thing the OOF issue is not highlighted a lot of independent reviews by even dash cam forums, so can it be that it is a small number of the Dashcam that have these issues.

which forums ?

which forums ?
Which forums for review? Offhand i think techmoan

For OOF issues due to sensor heat I think there is a thread in DCT itself which shows with pictures why it heats up so fast. Or am I confusing the forums or cam with others?

Can search and tell if u want.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?posts/241738

Guess the probablr cause of heating reason was here in this thread itself. Also Logically if most users report worsening focus after driving for some time, probably it will be internal heat??
I am not an expert, so just speculating and in no way am I promoting this dash cam. [emoji5]

Back