XiaoMi Yi dashcam focus problems

Can it be that the new firmware somehow has been tweaked to emit less heat. From what I gather so far, it is not because of outside heat but the sensor heat which causes OOF issues.
Has anyone tried the new fw and can report.
And one more thing the OOF issue is not highlighted a lot of independent reviews by even dash cam forums, so can it be that it is a small number of the Dashcam that have these issues.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

poor firmware could certainly generate more heat, there's nothing to suggest that they were doing something so wrong to cause the issues they were exhibiting, if recent cameras are not showing the focus issues they have had in the past it's more likely the hardware has been revised, doesn't help any of the early adopters if that's the case

And sorry I might have made a mistake when I said forums, it is basically reviews with independent reviewers and sites.

yes, because every forums I know has mention about OFF because of heat. It's a common issue.

poor firmware could certainly generate more heat, there's nothing to suggest that they were doing something so wrong to cause the issues they were exhibiting, if recent cameras are not showing the focus issues they have had in the past it's more likely the hardware has been revised, doesn't help any of the early adopters if that's the case
Well so far I feel it is not such a popular dash cam specially with experts or forum frequenting techies to get real feedback on diff revisions if there are any diff revisions.
Maybe I will be able to comment in a months time or so as has just bought this cam for $41 as a interim cam / gamble while waiting for mini 0807 to be perfected by the manufacturer.

Just got mine yesterday. Video quality was terrible. Blur and grainy and totally out of focus. Even my current G1W-C video quality is so much better than this. Wondered if I installed it wrongly. Just a snapshot I took from a parking lot during lunch hour.

Attachments

• yi.jpg
    yi.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 101
Just got mine yesterday. Video quality was terrible. Blur and grainy and totally out of focus. Even my current G1W-C video quality is so much better than this. Wondered if I installed it wrongly. Just a snapshot I took from a parking lot during lunch hour.

What version do you get? CN or International?

Defocus problem it persist also at International Version, you can see a video here:

Also, the International Version I think it have worst quality image than CN.

Reactions: Mtz
So guys, i have the same problem with defocusing in my camera because of high temperature :(
Is there anything that i can do to improve video quality ?

I see that Xiaomi isn't doing nothing special to fix the problem and they not comment in this topic anymore :/

So guys, i have the same problem with defocusing in my camera because of high temperature :(
Is there anything that i can do to improve video quality ?

I see that Xiaomi isn't doing nothing special to fix the problem and they not comment in this topic anymore :/
Believe I've read that a member switched out the glass lense and replaced it with a different lense, however it is not cost effective or worthwhile

Believe I've read that a member switched out the glass lense and replaced it with a different lense, however it is not cost effective or worthwhile
Yes, i've seen that post and i also think that is't the best option because I need to buy a lens for at lest 10$ and tray to not damage camera at all :(
But moreover I'm not happy that i bought camera and it is a crap... I know that i can tray to complaint camera in the shop (gearbest.com) but i'm afraid that another camera will have this same issue.

When is defocusing? Anytime, or only when leave your car in the sun?

When is defocusing? Anytime, or only when leave your car in the sun?
Problem is when I drive. At the beginning quality is ok but after few minutes quality is really ****y :/

You bought it recently or is an old purchase?
I bought it on beginning of June... yes, i know, i should check internet better before the purchase :(

It's that bad?
I'm wondering whether to buy it...
Good price, quality also looks good, a kind app, reliability and more...
The only thing is the The focus problem... so is it that bad? is it just on summer? At what temperature the camera starts to freak out?
Is it filmed entirely without focus or just less sharp but still reasonable?
Is it "sufferable"?:cool:

is there a good replacement?

thanks to allll ;)

Actually it disqualify this camera.

Got my Yi dashcam yesterday.
Though outdoor conditions are not good, raining and pretty cloudy here so cant say for sure but here's what I have found so far.
I. Video is pretty grainy at 1080p30 as well as 1080p60fos.
2. Focus is set pretty near to the Dashcam. Plates within 2-3 metres can be read and beyond that it becomes blurred.
3. Have recorded continuously for 90 mins at 27C temp and haven't found any focus problems so far, agreed it was not sunny at all.

Do u think fixing the focus a little further away say 5-6 metres will help?
This being a super wide has problem of vertical objects bending in the periphery.
Will wait for clear sky and upload video and raw file.

well Sanjay we are waiting for your video :)
it seems that the camera is not soooo bad..

well Sanjay we are waiting for your video :)
it seems that the camera is not soooo bad..
I won't blame the camera. I, Atleast knew what I was getting into.

Even I am anxious to upload video so experts can point out what is wrong and maybe a way to correct it.

Weather is cool so won't know about the focus shift [emoji20]

The video I'm getting is not as sharp as from my Mini805, and I prefer the 120° angle to the 160° as far as that distortion goes. However, I must say that the Yi is the most reliable of my dashcams so far (DVR207, Mini805). It always records and doesn't kill my battery if I leave it on for a few days like some others. For the price you really can't complain.

It does some self heating too.
20160712_063001_zpswzqvm827.jpg

Another update.
Even before using the cam had changed firmware to English, thanks to all u guys at DCT.
Yesterday was using fw V-1.01-005-US and today flashed older V-0.08.004-US and found that the sharpness has increased a lot and even grains/noise has reduced.
Overall effect in the older firmware is much much better.
Trying to install Chinese firmware 0.8.012 stable but can't find it anywhere. All links take me to 8.010 beta.
Had read on a Malaysian forum that the quality till 0.8.012 was much better and final 0.8.013 noise/grains have increased.

Another reason for grains is the HDR setting Imho. Trying too hard to get brighter than normal pic even in less than optimum lighting which degrades the overall sharpness.

Back