Will there be a US/International version?

Makes sense. They would have to more strictly manage their brand overseas as it's more important than the Chinese market I imagine. Restricting supply would be one way.

Thanks.

in overseas markets it might be more important from a corporate branding perspective perhaps but the domestic market would still account for higher sales, at this stage at least

Indeed, Scorup was clever than me because I was comparing US/CN firmware in hexadecimal and strings and tried to change the US to CN in the firmware but in the end it is way more simple to change the SN on the device, d'oh!

Indeed, Scorup was clever than me because I was comparing US/CN firmware in hexadecimal and strings and tried to change the US to CN in the firmware but in the end it is way more simple to change the SN on the device, d'oh!
Your contribution is good, all in the name of science and computer technology! When Yi said it can't be done dag gummit it was done. I know if you put your mind to it, I know that you really can do it!

Reactions: Mtz
Your contribution is good, all in the name of science and computer technology! When Yi said it can't be done dag gummit it was done. I know if you put your mind to it, I know that you really can do it!

if man can make it, man can break it ;)

Hello,

The new US firmware version (1.01.005-US) is really nice with almost all the parameters from the app available on the device (opening/ending sounds, button's bip, etc.)

Here's some of the results from my thermal oven testing. I hacked a thermal oven so that it's controlled with a PID thermostat. I set the temperature at 60°C and let it run for an hour. Adds more data supporting that there are thermal shifts.

A shame.

Looking back at my previous tests I baked my DR400G-HDII at 65°C for 3 hours with no problems.

EDIT: Please ignore my comments about the camera failing. I believe I may have turned off the lights by accident. Sorry I haven't done this test in a long time.

Beginning

Start +11 Minutes

Start +22 Minutes

Last edited:
+AndrewL I like your durability experiment! In the US, Celsius means nothing to me but! 60 degrees Celsius is 140 degrees Fahrenheit and that means boy how that right there sure is hot I tell ya what!! It is entirely plausible for interior car temps to reach 140 degrees Fahrenheit, for reference: 80 degrees F outside = 123 degrees F inside after 1 hour. Its too bad Yi not able to sustain robust durability it seems they cut corners to save money at the expense of environmental impact on video quality!!

That's a great test and blows Yi's theory about the issues I sent as being software fixable- you can easily see the change in focus on the bottom bars between the first and third pictures.

That's a great test and blows Yi's theory about the issues I sent as being software fixable- you can easily see the change in focus on the bottom bars between the first and third pictures.

the tiles in the kitchen highlight the difference also

Interested test. For sure Temperature can reach +70°C in a car under sun !

May it be linked with the finding of @gcb about missing heat diffuser to the CPU ? And what about competitors, do they have heat diffuser ?
link to the post

The software fix is the cheapest response from a manufacturers. And you will wait and wait and wait...

enjoy,
Mtz

Yi doesn't make any claim regarding its ability to handle average summer car temperatures which just leads us to believe that t'would be best to put the Yi dash cam away for summer and take it out when it's winter (unless the internal battery cannot handle sub-zero temps, only time will telling us)

Yes, the Yi dashcam is like winter tires. During winter I will mount the Yi because it have some great CMOS with some fantastic 3um and during spring, summer and autumn I will use any dashcam from the world with no matter CMOS or 3um which will have a focused image just because was tested more than 1 hour before launching on the market.

The Yi company is based in Antarctica?

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, the Yi dashcam is like winter tires.
enjoy,
Mtz
Precisely! I cannot say in better words. I hope Yi release Antarctica White color to emphasize it should be use in winter :)

Back