Brexit

Let's brace ourselves for tommorow... hot headed, frigid, unalected leader of non popular divided party is about to make life better to everyone!... (I meant hers, we'll just pay...)

I got a few newsfeeds yesterday saying that a thousand or so legal bods have signed a letter to parliament saying we can't leave, the referendum isn't/wasn't legal.

I'm pretty sure that 'we've' done plenty throughout (recent) history that also wasn't exactly Kosher, but it's happened anyway and we've had to accept it.
End of the day, the people wanted a referendum, the people had their vote. The majority voted out & the rest of us have to accept that.

I notice this lot are always quiet when a political party wins an election with a tiny majority when half the electorate don't bother voting

Let's brace ourselves for tommorow... hot headed, frigid, unalected leader of non popular divided party is about to make life better to everyone!... (I meant hers, we'll just pay...)
She was elected into parliament by the public with a vote of 35,453, her nearest rival got just 6,394 !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000803

Then at the last round of the elections for Prime Minister she got a vote of 199 against her nearest rival at 85.

There are not many leaders that get results like that without cheating!

She was elected into parliament by the public with a vote of 35,453, her nearest rival got just 6,394 !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000803

Then at the last round of the elections for Prime Minister she got a vote of 199 against her nearest rival at 85.

There are not many leaders that get results like that without cheating!

Okay - these arguments are ludicrous.

She was elected into parliament by the public with a vote of 35,453,

YES FOR HER CONSTITUENCY! She was NOT leader. ie: people did NOT KNOW they were going to get her.

Your argument is so ludicruous it's what is called a 'dead cat' argument in politics - when you don't have anything, throw something outrageous onto the table so everyone is talking about that. That's what you have. A dead cat. You don't have facts, figures, political arguments, you have ludicrous statements. That's like saying: I'm the new Mayor of Manchester, as I was elected Class Social Secretary. They're just irrelevant.

Oh please stop. Please I'm actually begging you now.

So you're telling me this - she got 199 votes (114 more than her nearest rival) and as such got elected and that's okay? So just to clarify - You @Nigel who has been spousing the virtues of democracy, and taking on the elite etc, are saying because 199 'elites' voted for her, she has a mandate?

I genuinely cannot laugh hard enough at that argument.

The better argument would have been:

- Gordon Brown - which tbf is a better argument, I'm really not a fan of just 'handing' over, though technically Chancellor (what GB was) is a higher ranking official than HS. Though they are pretty similar. I don't like just handing over, because however you market it, or word it, or whatever, about it, the fact is this - NOBODY except those (maybe) in her constituency, were thinking when they voted in 2015: You know what, I'm voting conservative so TM can become Prime Minister.

So regardless how you phrase it, regardless of what you say, that's what it comes down to. Yes she was part of the government and cabinet and as such had to toe the party line but look, she's already changing Conservative policy, so where's her mandate? She doesn't have any.

Sadly though, you're stuck in a rock and a hard place like GB. Do you hold an election and risk further market instability, but the possibility for stronger rebounds, or do you let an unelected leader create some stability, but the gains will be limited as she is seen as not having a mandate. Personally, I'd hold the vote, then you know exactly how each leader is going to deal with Brexit, then whoever is voted in, is voted in. At the moment nobody knows anything and so any gains are always going to be capped.

A step in the right direction, or an inadvertent leap backwards. Who knows.

On a complete side note:

My biggest gripe about the EU referendum, Tory/Labour leadership elections, General Elections, BMA contract dispute etc - all of this has been approached in such a simplistic manner. As a country, we are obsessed with simple answers to very complicated problems.

The best example of this is the 0.1% of GDP that goes to foreign aid. The Daily Fascist and the Daily Torygraph are constantly bashing this - 'we should be spending X money at home instead of these super nice houses for these criminals in Y country' - that kind of headline.

At the surface, you think, yes - we should stop spending that money, but then you dig a little deeper. 99% of that money that has been sent to Y country has gone to deradicalizing people, and has gone to creating employment opportunities (the biggest deterrent in radicalization). So yes 1% of that money has been spent badly, but sadly, sometimes a bribe has to be paid, or someone needs something to make it happen. So yes £2million pounds is frustrating but considering it's keeping this country safer, it's a tiny price to pay.

No one ever looks below the surface, The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, BBC (occasionally) and a few others do, but most just give the simplistic answer to the complex question.

Last edited:
Italian_bank_cartoon_normal.png

“Brexit could lead to a full-blown banking crisis in Italy,” said Lorenzo Codogno, former director general at the Italian Treasury. “The risk of a eurozone meltdown is clearly there if Brexit concerns are not immediately addressed.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...iness&section=us_business&utm_hp_ref=business

Boris is back :D

not-prime-minister_boris_johnson_2727025.jpg

as foreign secretary.

OMFG....
Boris is back :D

not-prime-minister_boris_johnson_2727025.jpg

as foreign secretary.

It proves few things:

May had wrangled out support from own party by lobbying

Turkish clown the Krusty (BoJo) will be causing loads of laughs and embarrassment worldwide...

It doesn't hold up. Also 7 presidents? Presidents of what? Commission? Council? Parliament? Or Council of the EU? Commissions term is 5 years each with a maximum of 2 years. There hasn't been 7 commission presidents. The Council well that presidency rotates every 6 months...so imagine having a new prime minister every 6 months and keeping up with it? Parliaments term length if I remember is like 2.5years and can be renewed once or twice. So there are a lot of Presidents.

Where did you get that information from? As that's so widely inaccurate I'm not sure where to start.

As I thought, the EU has 7 presidents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union

and as presidents they're on a nice little earner all paid for by the tax payer, being paid from £195,000 to £271,000 plus their pension and not forgetting their expenses bill, all paid for by the tax, me and you

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-schulz-pay-perks-pensions-revealed-unelected

not counting all their little perks and all the other job at the EU comes with

in passing I hear the pound is just a hovering under €1.19 to the pound, from a low of €1.16, still a lot better than in 2013/2014 of €1.12 to the pound

£195,000 to £271,000

Every month ???

I have allays argued ppl like this are paid far too much, they should be getting the average of what the ppl they serve earn.
This should also keep then from being glued to their chair, though i do think there should be laws in place to prevent this.

These ppl all call what they do their job, and really its not they are serving the ppl of the nation that elected them, and the fact they forget that is frighting.

Actually it wasent many years ago, okay maybe a decade or 2, but back then you was drafted into the armed forced to serve 1 year, today its the same but you no longer serve its now a job and a career opportunity.

I an sick and tired of Booing my TV and fingering it so hard my middle finger almost get a cramp, so i make sure to not see or hear persons like that.

Brexit --- Social experiment , or social suicide !
A protest against immigration , I guess the Brits dont want to live abroad ..
Millions of Britons that moved to Europe , now have to move back !

@Nigel

not sure if I’ve understood you Nigel, what I meant was that at any one time the EU has 7 presidents running

@Nigel

not sure if I’ve understood you Nigel, what I meant was that at any one time the EU has 7 presidents running
Yes, I understood that, but looked down the list of past presidents to see how many had been from the UK since I could only remember Tony Blair and we should have had a lot more than that. Tony Blair getting that post after we had rejected him and getting it without any vote from the UK people was another reason for people voting OUT.

I see what you now mean, yes a bit like Neil Kinnock, rejected by the UK voters and went on to be something to do with transport legislation with even better pay that the UK prim minister and he was the best of a bad bunch the UK could pick from,

then when there was that EU whistle blower, blowing the lid on MEP’s fiddle, he was put in heading the inquiry, a bit like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop,

a very nice gravy train if you can get on it, all at tax payers expense, but the thing is we don’t put them there and can’t get rid of them, living a life of Riley,

edited to add: our friend Toni was hoping he got the EU presidency more money grabbing, very surprised he missed out on that as he’s pretty good at getting sniffing out where there’s money to be made

Regardless of which side you're on, if you're feeling a bit stressed by the whole Brexit thing, why not stop by Madame Tussauds? :p

cameron.jpg

boris.jpg

Back