VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

I have to read up on that some more. Not exactly sure how that works. I tried to look for the KML but could not find anything, is it hidden?

Under the SGZC12SG folder, there are five subfolders, android, even, jpeg, lost.dir, and video. Could not find any GPS info, like you said it's likely embedded with the mp4 file?
see this thread started by me (a few posts down there is some info on the GPS data) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-first-impressions.20258/

The GPS data is embedded in the MP4 container free "atoms". The tool I am working on will parse the file, and extract GPS data from these free "atoms", then will convert to KML or similar format.

In simple terms (very simplified) the MP4 container is made up of interleaved slices of video track, audio track, and other data.
Think of it this way:
[header][video][audio][free][video][audio][free][video][audio][free].....[video][audio][free][EOF]

the MP4 is not video format as such, but a container (the video format is H264 in this case). The Novatek is using this container is somewhat obscure way to store GPS data, other chipsets will store GPS data in separate file and/or subtitle track.

see this thread started by me (a few posts down there is some info on the GPS data) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-first-impressions.20258/

The GPS data is embedded in the MP4 container free "atoms". The tool I am working on will parse the file, and extract GPS data from these free "atoms", then will convert to KML or similar format.

In simple terms (very simplified) the MP4 container is made up of interleaved slices of video track, audio track, and other data.
Think of it this way:
[header][video][audio][free][video][audio][free][video][audio][free].....[video][audio][free][EOF]

the MP4 is not video format as such, but a container (the video format is H264 in this case). The Novatek is using this container is somewhat obscure way to store GPS data, other chipsets will store GPS data in separate file and/or subtitle track.

@SergeiF Thanks for breaking it down so simplified! Definitely waiting on your software to extract the GPS data from the MP4 =)

The Novatek is using this container is somewhat obscure way to store GPS data, other chipsets will store GPS data in separate file and/or subtitle track.

can give you some detail on this if it helps but a lot of the text is in Chinese so you'd need to translate a bit of it

can give you some detail on this if it helps but a lot of the text is in Chinese so you'd need to translate a bit of it
Thanks, That would be great!

Hi all.

Thank you for Viofo new firmware

There are a few requests to work A119:
1) when you turn on record mode, Motion Detection, save 10sec record previously from the buffer
2) if you enable the Time-lapse (200 msec), do not turn on the screen every 3min (installation Loop recording) and not to voice this event

With respect Peter.

Last edited:
I have the latest firmware update at 0805 beta and mph works. The only thing I noticed was the GPS coordinate is inaccurate when the longitude in decimal degrees should be negative, current it is positive putting me in china somewhere and not in California =)

I have the latest firmware update at 0805 beta and mph works. The only thing I noticed was the GPS coordinate is inaccurate when the longitude in decimal degrees should be negative, current it is positive putting me in china somewhere and not in California =)

if you're using Registrator Viewer there's a settings option to invert the figures to correct this error, might be worth a try

if you're using Registrator Viewer there's a settings option to invert the figures to correct this error, might be worth a try

I thought you could not read the GPS information through Registrator Viewer with the A119 unlike the SGZC12SG can? I know with Dashcam Viewer it reads the gps location with speed and follows your movement referencing different map layouts.

I thought you could not read the GPS information through Registrator Viewer with the A119 unlike the SGZC12SG can? I know with Dashcam Viewer it reads the gps location with speed and follows your movement referencing different map layouts.

was referring to viewing files from the 0805

was referring to viewing files from the 0805

Ahhh... confused here, the 0805 was the beta firmware update for A119 that you shot me a link over before! o_O Not the mini 0805, i think that is what you are referencing for viewing GPS info.

Ahhh... confused here, the 0805 was the beta firmware update for A119 that you shot me a link over before! o_O Not the mini 0805, i think that is what you are referencing for viewing GPS info.

ok, sorry about that, makes sense now

@jelevated What are your thoughts on the image quality for the A119 compared to your Panorama S? I ask this because I just got mine today as well and updated to the 0805 firmware update and it now does MPH and stops the annoying beeping when the card isn't in the slot =) I have the SGZC12SG which is supposed to be very similar to your Panaorama S but branded through StreetGuardian. My SGZC12SG from my three days experience has been good, but exposure is on the high side and unusable in certain lighting shown on the below thread at the video link if you are interested at about 5:15 on the video:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-to-sgzc12sg-some-questions-about-brightness.20719/

So far for the price point for the A119 is remarkable considering how sharp and clear the quality is compared to the SGZC12SG. The sound is good as well. I am sure it is due to the higher resolution of 1440p vs 1080p! Just wanted to get your thoughts when you have enough time to test it out!

I will try to get some comparison shots and report back. All in all i'm liking the PQ over the Panorama.

Hi all.

Thank you for Viofo new firmware

There are a few requests to work A119:
1) when you turn on record mode, Motion Detection, save 10sec record previously from the buffer
2) if you enable the Time-lapse (200 msec), do not turn on the screen every 3min (installation Loop recording) and not to voice this event

With respect Peter.
Can you let me know more details about the #1?
For timelapse, it is not related to the loop recording options, each time lapse file is 2min duration.

I've just examined the footage from the first week of use of the A119 in my wife's car.
Generally quite happy with the video quality ( 2560x1440 30fps with WDR on, all daylight so far ).

However, GPS is another matter! The GPS logger is very unstable, quick to get first fix but far too many drop outs while driving. For instance on one 30min journey the GPS data was only visible on the recorded footage for approx. 15 mins with multiple gaps. The track shown in Dashcam viewer is wildly erratic, in the same journey the track only matched with the actual route taken for about 2 minutes, rest of the time is was offset by anything up to 200-300m when working, just straight lines between two points in places because of drop out.

I compared this with footage from the rear view mini801 with GPS ( the A119 replaced this, it was front camera but moved it to rear ) over the same period. The mini801 GPS was much slower to get initial lock BUT once locked it stayed locked throughout the journey. Viewing footage from this in Registrator Viewer showed the GPS data to be rock solid, matched up perfectly with the actual route to with just a few meters.

Can something be done in the firmware to correct this very poor GPS performance or is it more likely to be the GPS receiver that's at fault ?

I think Dascham Viewer is very shoddy compared with Registrator Viewer. User interface puts multiple windows all over the place and is nowhere near as user friendly as Registrator Viewer.
Does anyone know of an alternative to Dashcam Viewer that can read the GPS data from the A119. Really don't want to pay out $30 for just a poor piece of software...
Let me put this question to you... Explain how a DVR with a GPS will help you. Normally we all go the speed limit (wishful thinking) so why would you want the speed to show up on ur footage? Assuming you did speed just that one time and was involved in an accident why would you want speed noted. For me I just want a regular DVR, I would even pay $20 more to have it without GPS. And who cares about that the route is logged on GPS playback. When an accident occurs it is common knowledge between all parties what street/intersection you both were on.

Let me put this question to you... Explain how a DVR with a GPS will help you. Normally we all go the speed limit (wishful thinking) so why would you want the speed to show up on ur footage? Assuming you did speed just that one time and was involved in an accident why would you want speed noted. For me I just want a regular DVR, I would even pay $20 more to have it without GPS. And who cares about that the route is logged on GPS playback. When an accident occurs it is common knowledge between all parties what street/intersection you both were on.

you can have GPS without embedding details in your footage

ok understood buy why have it in the first place?

recording of accurate time/date/location information without you needing to think about it, being able to sync to a map view

you get hit a stop sign in the city by someone responsible for their actions it's not likely to make a lick of difference, these days not every accident is that cut and dried though unfortunately

Hello,

Thank for the 0805 beta firmware that allowed me to solve a problem with the A119.

Is it possible you have a function to start recording 1 minutes (or adjustable time) after turning on the camera.
On diesel cars, there is a delay between the time you turn on the ignition and the engine starts or making it reboot the camera.
This feature exists on other camera ( sg9665gc )

Back