A119 Firmware

Hello folks, how can I tell whether the loader was uploaded/updated successfully?
it's like using Microsoft Windows "disc check" utility. :) you run it on a hard drive that might be having some problems with the both options (through) checked and at the end you get "Done!" without any details how it's "done". and you have no idea how your hard drive is doing - is it "good, bad, or ugly". :) but later you may find a folder called "found.000" on you hard drive with some pieces of files (.chk) the utility recovered from corrupted sectors/files, which are useless.:eek:
:)

I just received my A119 today and have some questions and a couple of comments regarding the firmware:

- My camera came with A119.160829.V1.1 firmware installed on it (appears to be the current "production" firmware as of today). Why would I want to use this firmware compared to the latest BETA version? Why would I want to use the latest BETA version compared to the production version?

- Is a firmware upgrade a "forward only" procedure? What if I install a BETA firmware then want to revert back to the latest production version? Or a pervious BETA version? I would understand not being able to revert back if there were a loader update involved as well, but what if it's just the firmware?

- There are seven screens of MENU options, accounting for 28 different individual items. "Format" is #23 on the list. I'd like to suggest making it either #27 or #28 so that it's only a couple of button presses to get to it (MENU -> Rec -> Rec -> Emergency, Rec -> Emergency to format). This would eliminate four button presses to format a card by choice for those that are already using the optimal keypress sequence.

- Since the camera records in time segments, pressing the Emergency button to protect a video (or having the G sensor trigger protection) should protect the current file AND some number of previous ones. Protecting the current file is straight-forward. But, think through some scenarios:
  1. The previous segment of time just finished and a new segment is starting. A couple of seconds into the new segment, something occurs that I need to ensure doesn't get looped over. What about the previous 15-60 seconds of time leading up to it? Previous file.
  2. Something significant occurs right at the beginning of a new segment. Securing this file and the previous one should occur (as described above), but the G sensor is turned off and the operator doesn't get to press the Emergency button until one, two, or more new segments have recorded (or started). This could either be completely user-configurable or could be tied to the segment length chosen (more files saved for shorter segments being used).

Some general comments about the device:

- Feels very solid
- I understood what I was buying, but was still impressed at how small the camera actually is
- I'm impressed that the long USB cable that ships with it is built with the two inner pins "deadened" so that you can connect it to a USB port in your car for power without triggering Mass Storage mode (this seems to be the case, at least - I am about to test to be certain)

I just received my A119 today and have some questions and a couple of comments regarding the firmware:

- My camera came with A119.160829.V1.1 firmware installed on it (appears to be the current "production" firmware as of today). Why would I want to use this firmware compared to the latest BETA version? Why would I want to use the latest BETA version compared to the production version?

- Is a firmware upgrade a "forward only" procedure? What if I install a BETA firmware then want to revert back to the latest production version? Or a pervious BETA version? I would understand not being able to revert back if there were a loader update involved as well, but what if it's just the firmware?
If want to revert to V1.1, need a old loader before upgrade V1.1

If want to revert to V1.1, need a old loader before upgrade V1.1

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

How would one go about getting the loader since it doesn't seem to be included with the V1.1 firmware? Could the appropriate loader -always- be included and have a README file or something that tells the user "If you're upgrading from X or older, you need the loader"?

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

How would one go about getting the loader since it doesn't seem to be included with the V1.1 firmware? Could the appropriate loader -always- be included and have a README file or something that tells the user "If you're upgrading from X or older, you need the loader"?
Normally the loader is not required, so we don't include this. Offer the loader and firmware at same time will make a lots of confusion.
In V2.0, the SDK is updated to latest, and we changed the Pstore(for save settings), if not upload the loader first, it will cause settings not saved after upgraded to new version.

I just saw on Viofo site that " Modified on: Sat, 26 Nov, 2016 at 8:20 PM for the A119." Does anyone know what was modified last night Nov 26 on the firmware?

I just saw on Viofo site that " Modified on: Sat, 26 Nov, 2016 at 8:20 PM for the A119." Does anyone know what was modified last night Nov 26 on the firmware?
We updated about how to update the loader.

@viofo Is it at all possible when you do a modification to the firmware that you can let us know what the modification you did? Because I took my A119 out of my car to update the firmware with that modification only to find out the modification was only to update the loader instructions. It does take time to default and redo all the settings but I would not have done it if I knew in advance. Thanking you in advance viofo.:):)

@viofo Is it at all possible when you do a modification to the firmware that you can let us know what the modification you did? Because I took my A119 out of my car to update the firmware with that modification only to find out the modification was only to update the loader instructions. It does take time to default and redo all the settings but I would not have done it if I knew in advance. Thanking you in advance viofo.:):)
They do. It's all in the change log. Since there was no change to the firmware, there was need to update the log or anything else. The firmware version never changed.

You updated the loader as well? Did you default your settings after updating?

the bootloader was updated first with success,

then the firmware was updated to v2.0, after that I noticed that all my previous settings were lost, I had to reset all settings to my custom settings,

I didn't click on "default/factory setting", because the settings were already reseted to the default values after the update procedure,

today I have again the same bug :

- every 2 weeks the dashcam asks to me if I want to format the sd-card, even if I disable the feature "format Sd card reminder" in the menus

I will try to reflash again the loader and the firmware,

I think there is something wrong in firmware v2.0 about this feature "format sd-card reminder", every 2 weeks the dashcam will ask to the user if he wants to format the sd-card, even if we disable this feature in the menu of the dashcam

precisions : I use a 128 Gb memory card, maybe the bug occurs only with 128 Gb memory cards and higher capacity,

please Viofo : ask to your developpers if this feature "format sd-card reminder" is really "bug-free", I highly suspect a bug here

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz

then the firmware was updated to v2.0, after that I noticed that all my previous settings were lost, I had to reset all settings to my custom settings,

I didn't click on "default/factory setting", because the settings were already reseted to the default values after the update procedure,

- every 2 weeks the dashcam asks to me if I want to format the sd-card, even if I disable the feature "format Sd card reminder" in the menus

I think there is something wrong in firmware v2.0 about this feature "format sd-card reminder", every 2 weeks the dashcam will ask to the user if he wants to format the sd-card, even if we disable this feature in the menu of the dashcam

precisions : I use a 128 Gb memory card, maybe the bug occurs only with 128 Gb memory cards and higher capacity,

please Viofo : ask to your developpers if this feature "format sd-card reminder" is really "bug-free", I highly suspect a bug here
Sounds like you think you loaded the loader but check this out. When you unzipped the loader look to see if it says ARCHIVATOR IF is says that word then you unzipped it properly if not then your setting will not be set properly on a reboot Download 7zip it seems to do the job

You need to reset defaults after updating.

the files were properly unzipped, I get 4 files :

FWBA119.bin : 4067216 bytes, md5 sum : 59626b542f2ac4a9a0e6607ebeb8f770
LDBA119.bin : 32768 bytes ( 32 Kb ), md5 sum : c4680407d76d07eb19222b1c4724d0fd
Releasenote.txt : 2901 bytes
Update Instructions.txt : 802 bytes

Why this weird thing should be done manually by the user ?

this action should be done automatically by the flash procedure,

but I will try your suggestion
Just curious after you unzipped and you look at the file do you see the word ARCHIVATOR in the name can you let me know please

Just curious after you unzipped and you look at the file do you see the word ARCHIVATOR in the name can you let me know please

no name "archivator", the only names are these after unzip the downloaded archive :

FWBA119.bin : 4067216 bytes, md5 sum : 59626b542f2ac4a9a0e6607ebeb8f770
LDBA119.bin : 32768 bytes ( 32 Kb ), md5 sum : c4680407d76d07eb19222b1c4724d0fd
Releasenote.txt : 2901 bytes
Update Instructions.txt : 802 bytes

Just the way it is.

so there is a problem in the file "update intructions.txt" about the flash procedure : there is no instruction about the action of "reseting the default values", here are the official instructions inside this file :

1. Format the card by camera or on computer as FAT32
2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable.
3. Copy just the LDBA119.bin on the root of the card
4. After LDBA119.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
5. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until you saw Mass Storage on LCD screen.
6. Delete LDBA119.bin from the card using your PC and copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card
7. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front LED will be blinking while upgrading. After upgrade successfully, the FWBA119.bin will be automatically deleted by the camera.
8. Now you can disconnect the camera from PC and enjoy new A119 implementations.

this file should be updated in order to add this additional step of resetting to the default values

so there is a problem in the file "update intructions.txt" about the flash procedure : there is no instruction about the action of "reseting the default values", here are the official instructions inside this file :

1. Format the card by camera or on computer as FAT32
2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable.
3. Copy just the LDBA119.bin on the root of the card
4. After LDBA119.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
5. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until you saw Mass Storage on LCD screen.
6. Delete LDBA119.bin from the card using your PC and copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card
7. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front LED will be blinking while upgrading. After upgrade successfully, the FWBA119.bin will be automatically deleted by the camera.
8. Now you can disconnect the camera from PC and enjoy new A119 implementations.

this file should be updated in order to add this additional step of resetting to the default values
Yes, it should say it. Viofo has stated this in the past though. Always default, otherwise sometimes old settings don't default with the new firmware install. This can cause issues.

Back