A119 Firmware

Excellent step by step I'm sure many will benefit
Thanks Sutton, particularly coming from someone who just went through that experience yesterday. But I would call it more of an overview from a Windows 10 perspective than a step-by-step procedure since the items I outlined are not as ordered and complete as would be a step-by-step checklist.

I am curious to know if, while experiencing the loss of settings problem, you noticed if the Firmware Version setting stayed at "A119_20161031_V2.0" or not, and did the settings go back to the V2.0 defaults?

Thanks,

Thanks Sutton, particularly coming from someone who just went through that experience yesterday. But I would call it more of an overview from a Windows 10 perspective than a step-by-step procedure since the items I outlined are not as ordered and complete as would be a step-by-step checklist.

I am curious to know if, while experiencing the loss of settings problem, you noticed if the Firmware Version setting stayed at "A119_20161031_V2.0" or not, and did the settings go back to the V2.0 defaults?

Thanks,
If it helps at all when I updated to v2.0 on mine, I also did it thru Windows 10 and it went off without a hitch. Although all the settings were lost and the firmware version was at 1031, but yeah everything was reset.

Thanks,
For readers first time I'll start from beginning. Well, out of the box it was shipped with the older established firmware. When I updated I basically did it without having the loader properly unzipped. The new firmware did install ok so I then ("a119_20161031_v2.0") started to go thru each setting changing each one to my preference. Then I did a default then I rebooted. I realized after the reboot the new firmware that I had updated was there but.....all my personalized settings were gone (back to default ) but the new firmware remained but my settings were wiped out. Dates, time etc. this was repeated many times till I realized it was caused by the loader not being unziped properly. The end result was that now it is perfect. I probably could have answered you with one sentence but explained in depth for new readers.

The "Image Rotation" does in fact rotate the image, so I can mount the cam revered if needed....but I have noticed it also is a Mirrored image . This is bad, as it reveres things. So a car on the left is now on the right...etc.

...Then I did a default then I rebooted....
Just to be clear, did you command a default using the Default Setting command from the Menu of settings, or no?

Have seen others report this setting loss problem when their upgrade did not go well, seemingly because..."the Loader" didn't load properly. I'm not expert on this subject but have successfully loaded version 2.0 twice. See Reference 1 - I think Viofo meant "loss" instead of "loose" in this reference. If so, then I think he's saying that if the boot-loader (downloaded file LDBA119.bin) is not loaded, then the V2.0 software may load but the A119 will lose the settings in memory, presumably after a power-down of the A119, like what @Sutton reported. When connecting to a Windows PC, use the supplied A119 short cable to connect to a USB port (preferably USB 3.0 - more power) and treat the A119 like any other USB storage device. If connection is successful, A119 screen turns blue and displays "Mass Storage". Use Windows File Explorer to find the newly installed device (looks like a new drive). In Windows 10, I only had to double click on the downloaded zip file folder to unzip the files. Then closely follow the directions in the unzipped text file "Update Instructions" contained therein. The only thing I did different was add a fairly obvious step between step 6 and step 7 to disconnect the camera from the PC for a minute or so (you can't reconnect without first disconnecting), but I like a checklist to be detailed and complete. Also, Windows 10 wants you to "eject" a USB storage device to safely remove it, so I did that too. The update will change the Firmware Version (last item in the Menu of settings) to "A119_20161031_V2.0" if successful, though considering what Reference 1 says, I'm now having doubts about that being a true indicator that the update was successful. This whole thread is devoted to the version 2.0 upgrade, plus some other threads have user experiences as well.

Hope this helps,
Did the upgrade in the morning working so far, main issue is the cam getting hot and today is a cold day, anyone else have the same issue of the cam getting hot or there is something wrong wiht mine.

Just to be clear, did you command a default using the Default Setting command from the Menu of settings, or no?
LOL did I ramble on and confuse you. To answer you YES I physically pressed the default after updating . Sorry I know maybe my description may have been vague. But even after pressing the default when I rebooted opened, and my setting that I changed had to be there but it wasn't I lost all my personal choices. The fault is because the loader wasn't loaded.

Last edited:
:)
1. update the loader, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec, replug the camera)
2. update the firmware, reboot (read above)
3. reset the settings to a (factory!) default, reboot (read above)
4. configure your settings, reboot (read above)
check your settings. are the time and time zone still set correctly, or they are lost?

1. update the loader, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec, replug the camera)
2. update the firmware, reboot (read above)
3. reset the settings to a (factory!) default, reboot (read above)
4. configure your settings, reboot (read above)
check your settings. are the time and time zone still set correctly, or they are lost?
You forgot one step between steps 1 and 2. You forgot to delete the loader as per instructions. And yes they were lost because the loader was not properly unzipped before step 1.

in short - yes. the #1 & #2 is actually one step "upgrade". connect the camera to a computer until a "mass storage" screen appears on a camera, copy the loader update .bin on to a (camera) card, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec) (will update the loader on a camera), and a "mass storage" screen should appear on a camera, delete the loader update .bin from a card, copy a firmware .bin onto a card, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec), after firmware update a "mass storage" screen should appear on a camera, unplug the camera from a comp, connect to a power bank (USB charger), boot . :)
people should read the instructions.

Last edited:
in short - yes. the #1 & #2 is actually one step "upgrade". connect the camera to a computer until a "mass storage" screen appears on a camera, copy the loader update .bin on to a (camera) card, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec) (will update the loader on a camera), and a "mass storage" screen should appear on a camera, delete the loader update .bin from a card, copy a firmware .bin onto a card, reboot (unplug the camera for 10sec), after firmware update a "mass storage" screen should appear on a camera, unplug the camera from a comp, connect to a power bank (USB charger), boot . :)
people should read the instructions.
100% perfect... What you posted should be printed up and kept for future firmware updates.

Did the upgrade in the morning working so far, main issue is the cam getting hot and today is a cold day, anyone else have the same issue of the cam getting hot or there is something wrong wiht mine.
How is it going now? Can only advise that my A119 runs warm but not real hot. I thought it was running hot when I first got it, but it seems OK now. Screen gets pretty warm if left on. Using screensaver may help keep cooler. Have some numbers on current draw my A119 unit if you can use them.

Have seen others report their unit running hot but don't know cause or solution. {Sorry, had to edit out reference - misread} Might try using search routine at top of page.

Discussions going on here now include an upgrade step which I did not, which you might try even now - that is to go to the menu of settings, "Default Setting" and reset all the settings to the V2.0 defaults by selecting "OK", then reboot (power down a minute and then back up). Then reset your preferences, reboot, and finally recheck your settings. It won't hurt and might help (I don't know why and I don't recall doing this myself, but might have as I have seen that step somewhere before). It will at least verify your settings are stable.

I noted that you had post similar to original on another thread that Viofo answered. Might reply your concerns to Viofo. They try to help but are very busy. Here's the post.

Last edited:
How is it going now? Can only advise that my A119 runs warm but not real hot. I thought it was running hot when I first got it, but it seems OK now. Screen gets pretty warm if left on. Using screensaver may help keep cooler. Have some numbers on current draw my A119 unit if you can use them.

Have seen others report their unit running hot but don't know cause or solution. {Sorry, had to edit out reference - misread} Might try using search routine at top of page.

Discussions going on here now include an upgrade step which I did not, which you might try even now - that is to go to the menu of settings, "Default Setting" and reset all the settings to the V2.0 defaults by selecting "OK", then reboot (power down a minute and then back up). Then reset your preferences, reboot, and finally recheck your settings. It won't hurt and might help (I don't know why and I don't recall doing this myself, but might have as I have seen that step somewhere before). It will at least verify your settings are stable.

I noted that you had post similar to original on another thread that Viofo answered. Might reply your concerns to Viofo. They try to help but are very busy. Here's the post.
Just a silly question, could it be the sun hitting your windshield or maybe your car heater is on and the heat rises maybe warming your cam. Probably not but I took a shot. With a capacitor in cam What else inside cam can heat up, other than the power supply. My 2 cams also feel warm but not hot and my SG also warm, I think its normal

what can heat up? almost any part. processor, screen backlight, memory, SD card, image sensor... those are the main ones.

the danger of a lithium ion battery isn't heat generated by the device - it's heat provided by the environment, such as a parked car baking in the sun.

what can heat up? almost any part. processor, screen backlight, memory, SD card, image sensor... those are the main ones.

the danger of a lithium ion battery isn't heat generated by the device - it's heat provided by the environment, such as a parked car baking in the sun.
You opened my eyes, I better stick to my pipe wrench lol and leave the technical info to you guys

Last edited:
Here's a reference on the heat issue. He had other issues too and unfortunately the final resolution was not reported, but there is discussion there that might be helpful.

Here's a reference on the heat issue. He had other issues too and unfortunately the final resolution was not reported, but there is discussion there that might be helpful.

I'm still waiting on the seller to decide on a return or exchange. No resolution to the heat issue though. The screen is the part that seems the hottest, but I don't have temperature measurements on it. I'll try to get some numbers.

Hello folks, how can I tell whether the loader was uploaded/updated successfully? I mean, when you connect the camera via USB to a computer with a microSD inserted, it will show "Mass Storage" on the screen, regardless. Some telling questions:

1. Will the firmware fail to update if the loader was not updated first?
2. If the firmware will update with an older loader on the camera, what are the risks?

I just want to gauge whether I should be worrying so much about the loader updating correctly or not. The firmware deletes the file after updating (which is a good/easy indicator that the update worked), so I would suggest that the same behavior be mimicked for loader updates.

See above for all information to what you are asking

Hello folks, how can I tell whether the loader was uploaded/updated successfully? I mean, when you connect the camera via USB to a computer with a microSD inserted, it will show "Mass Storage" on the screen, regardless. Some telling questions:

1. Will the firmware fail to update if the loader was not updated first?
2. If the firmware will update with an older loader on the camera, what are the risks?

I just want to gauge whether I should be worrying so much about the loader updating correctly or not. The firmware deletes the file after updating (which is a good/easy indicator that the update worked), so I would suggest that the same behavior be mimicked for loader updates.
The firmware will be also updated, but will not keep settings on some options.

We will check the engineer to to see if this make sense for deleting the loader after upgrade.

Back