Hacking Q3H (allwinner v3 - Camdroid)

It seems that the both of imx179s.ko and imx179s_8.ko are used while the cam works(The cam doesn't work without either of them). Curious to say, in mx179s_8.ko a string "A low-level driver for ov8838 sensors” is found. Why?
The firmware is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tyaJWIqCb_Rm5zWjdqbTlIeDA/view?usp=sharing
in GoPrawn nutsey's firmware collection.
I'd like to make the ISP processing disabled. I think the edge enhancement is too strong. How should I do?

Regards.
Dear guys, I am a newbie of hacking cams.

I bought a Q3H-2 with imx179s. It has imx179s.ko and imx179s_8.ko in rootfs of the original firmware.
I replaced the imx179s.ko with the one shared at the first post in this thread, but my cam stopped at the logo screen.
How should I do to use 1080/60p mode with native resolution?

Thank you for your helping me.

How should I do?
ISP settings are stored inside IMX179s.ko. Use IDA tool.

BTW, thanks for pointing out to OV8838 sensor, seems like it's another fake 'imx179' used in Allwinner V3 cams...

Thanks for your advice, nutsey.

Do I have to buy IDA pro? It is far more expensive than the camera...
I want to know where and how to change the ISP settings.

BTW, I made a mistake. My camera doesn't need imx179s_8.ko to work. My cam doesn't include OV8838 sensor.

ISP settings are stored inside IMX179s.ko. Use IDA tool.

BTW, thanks for pointing out to OV8838 sensor, seems like it's another fake 'imx179' used in Allwinner V3 cams...

I'm hacking imx179s.ko with objdump on linux and a hex editor. I probably could find the address to be modify in the .ko file like as in thegamut's post #89. But I want to find 2.7K settings rather than 1080/30p's. In the case of 1080/30p, I should find "imx179s_1080p30_v3_isp_iso_settings". What should I search when I want to find 2.7K settings? "imx179s_default_v3_isp_iso_settings"? And Which and what values should I change into?

*Editted*
It seems that the 4K setting is also used for 2.7K.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, everyone in this thread! I manged to change ISP settings in 2.7K mode. I've learned how to find positions in .ko file for modifing the settings without IDA pro. That is not so difficult.

But, I don't understand the meaning of the values of the settings. I filled the first 84bytes of each iso value with zeros. The edge enhancement and NR are seemed to be diabled. But I think a little edge enhancement is needed. What values should I set?
IMX179S_MOD_compare.png

Last edited:
I ordered another cam of the same as I'm hacking now for my trying 3D stereo recording...
BTW, although it is very cheap, its image quality is not bad in 2.7k mode, I think.
https://www.tomtop.com/p-d4876b.html Now the price is US$23.79 with free shipping.
Is there anyone who try to hack it with me?;)

P.S. The cam's cons is that its holizontal FOV is about only 90 degree in 2.7K mode...

Last edited:
Hi to all,
I'm sure I will get help from you, after reading almost all posts. I also posted on goprawn.com, but nobody answered yet. so Here is my story:

I have a cam, marketed as sj8000 sport action cam 4k. After few days of use, all of the sudden, the camera was stuck at xdv sports boot logo (+the jingle). the camera was no more visible in device manager.
After heavy reading and many tests, I managed to test different firmwares using the phoenix tool in recovery mode.
After some trial and errors, I had found out that the sensor is imx179, the lcd seems to be a ST9341.

Now, the issue is that I could not find any fully working firmware. I got image on the LCD only using the builds for ST9341. But on all I get only flipped images (on some reversed images: up/down or left/right), on others I got flickering images or portrait mode + flickering image. And on all I got inverted colors.
I tried many stock firmware or modded firmware. It is hard to believe that there is no compatible rom for my camera. so, do you have any directions to follow?

For, example, using this Yinuocheng (EIƎ boot logo) 2017-02-21 (shows 20170221V1.1) I got:
Full boot, working camera, but: lcd image is in mirror and colors are inverted. But the recordings are perfect: good image, correct colors, no mirror image. so the issue is the LCD.

Check the images below, camera, board, lcd ribbon code.

3gNpc9t.jpg
upload_2017-9-29_10-57-11.gif
587R5CH.jpg
9DCeUeH.jpg
56XHSx6.jpg

Update:
it seems that almost all FW's with Ilitek ILI9341 (besides the ST9341) also works. but I get the same flipped image and inverted colors.
Before updating the FW, the logo (where the camera remained stuck) it was the right orientation and the right colors. I'm the only one in the world with this LCD?

Thanks.

I also ordered this cam from tomtop as well as this one :)
Have you managed to reveal any useful settings in .ko?
I have not found so useful information about the settings.
But I found the file "squashfs-root\etc\hawkview\ov4689_sdv\isp_iso_param.ini" in my cam's firmware. It includes a little information. And in web surfing, I saw that the three numbers of "sharp_coeff" means level, min, and max.
Anyways I want the information abount Hawkview ISP in AllwinnerV3, which can't be found on the Internet.
And I have no idea to improve resolution in 1080p60 mode at all.

Hello,

I'm trying to make my camera work with PC. Any thoughts how to connect to laptop using WiFi and capture live stream? I have tried VLC and nearly all tutorials I have found, but nothing works. Does any of you know about app for android 8 working with this action camera. All I have tried freezes or crashes. :-(

Thanks

OK so I have tried to connect do camera using raw telnet, just to see what is going on there.

there are open three ports in total:
TCP-53, TCP-6666 and UDP-53

TCP-53 does nothing, I have tried to send anything to it and no reply
TCP-6666 sends few times "ab cd 00 00 00 00 01 12" and few times empty packets. It was always src port 6666 end dst port 55913
UDP i have not tested yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
don't think you will get any help here. seems the dev's are gone.

This is my site. If you need any help feel free to ask in the disqus thread on my blog or drop me an email.
Well in the meantime I have found this:
https://blog.jonaskoeritz.de/2017/02/21/hacking-the-xpro2-action-camera/
It basicaly answers most of my questions, so i can continue with some hacking and coding service to handle communication with camera.
I will do it on Linux in C# and when I have it running (if I ever have) I will release app and sources.

This is my site. If you need any help feel free to ask in the disqus thread on my blog or drop me an email.

That's great! Right now I'm mostly fighting lack of free time to continue on this project, but I will get to it for sure.

Thanks

Vi Soucek

OK so I have tried to connect do camera using raw telnet, just to see what is going on there.
there are open three ports in total:
TCP-53, TCP-6666 and UDP-53
TCP-53 does nothing, I have tried to send anything to it and no reply
TCP-6666 sends few times "ab cd 00 00 00 00 01 12" and few times empty packets. It was always src port 6666 end dst port 55913
UDP i have not tested yet.
Any thoughts? Thanks

hello. nice work. if you have not already done so...please open my user profile in this forum and see all my posts in this thread. you might find something useful there. cheers.

hi everbody
my cams real problem is when I relase and plug the batery and power on the cam OK button is works. but I power off and power on the cam with battery OK button don't work. what is my cams problem

Hi there,

Did you ever figure out how to fix the issue with the buttons ? I have the exact same problem
Thanks

Back