Help a brother out

Lol are you trolling right now?

Front + Rear Cameras DO NOT lack side coverage. Street Guardian / Viofo A129 for Front + Rear The ONLY WAY to get side coverage is:

1. Secondary Interior tax Cam facing towards passengers.
2. Insta 360 (similar to Taxi Cam).
3. Drilling holes in your mirrors and wiring cameras into them to capture the sides with an unobstructed view.

Or simply attaching a dash cam to a porthole, pillar etc. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Lol are you trolling right now?

Or simply attaching a dash cam to a porthole, pillar etc. You have no clue what you're talking about.

No. I'm answering your question because you clearly lack long term recall ability. Since you want to be snarky and appearantly have the answer already, I suggest you need not ask us for help....

What kind of redneck jerry-rigged B.S. are you talking about? Attaching a camera to a pillar? Seriously? You wont get side coverage. The proper install would be to drill a hole in the bottom of the mirror and insert cameraa. Or attach to underside of the mirror.

Last edited:
You read my first post, but not all of them obviously. You don't think if I came in here asking for help, my opinion may have changed once actual people with knowledge (not you) helped out? You said "The Only Way" in big bold letters. I corrected you, it was misinformation. Also, since you think you're such an expert in the English language (taking a quick glance at that Zenofo thread) it's spelled apparently not:

Since you want to be snarky and appearantly have the answer already, I suggest you need not ask us for help....

Feel free to not give me your gracious "help", keep typing the n word in that other thread.

Ghetto English - Dis camera b pimp

How old are you, actually? 15? Since you can't seem to understand, here's a video by one of your own respected forum members.

Tell me, where do they put the side cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:
You read my first post, but not all of them obviously. You don't think if I came in here asking for help, my opinion may have changed once actual people with knowledge (not you) helped out? You said "The Only Way" in big bold letters. I corrected you, it was misinformation. Also, since you think you're such an expert in the English language (taking a quick glance at that Zenofo thread) it's spelled apparently not:

Feel free to not give me your gracious "help", keep typing the n word in that other thread.

Mounting a Camera Internally to the Pillars WILL NOT capture the sides of your vehicle (Someone slamming their door into yours, Keying your Car, etc). What you show is a birds eye view of the Side looking up and outward and not true "360 Degree" coverage as you asked. Meaning you won't actually capture the person keying your car. Just "Someone Walking By, which is NOT PROOF".

Clearly, you have the answers. Why bother asking us?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quad+channel+dash+camera&ref=nb_sb_noss

1591582788254.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "us". I'm not asking for your help, you don't know what your talking about. I asked for help and I got it from many other members.

There is no "us". I'm not asking for your help, you don't know what your talking about. I asked for help and I got it from many other members.

I don't know what I'm talking about, huh?

Ladies and Gents... We have the Canadian Donald Trump:

1. I want a 360 Degree Camera that'll Capture my car getting keyed -- "Never Said This"- Fake News
2. Claims Mounting a Camera on the Pillars will give 360 Degree Coverage - "Provided some Asinine Youtube Video he never watched" - Fake News

I doubt anyone is going to "give you assistance"
...Some people are beyond reproach. You've got the answers.. Educate us!

I run an A129 Duo on my fixed rear side windows. I keep it on the old FW V1.5 which records full bitrate when moving, switches to low bitrate when it's not moving, and is much more reliable than the later FW with buffered parking mode options. I use a powerbank to record any time I'm parked in an area where I want coverage. I imagine similar cameras from other manufacturers could do the same job.

@cltjames If you want to read up on options for 360 degree coverage I suggest you look at this thread. It's rather long, but has lots of useful information on this topic:

for vandalism while parked, a side ( aimed down the side ) system i feel would be best, if you use a side camera aimed 90 degrees out the side of the car, they should have a larger than normal FOV to be able to cover things happening close to the car, but you would not film the guys door slam into the side of your car.

I had my car vandalized while parked 3 times since i moved to this town, so i put up CCTV camera with one on the car, but since then nothing happened.
I had / have to go that route as my car are parked in a pitch black back yard,though it have gotten a lice strong pir activated LED light, then that light are on the building my car are parked facing towards, so for dashcams in parking mode it would probably be less optimal, and i doubt my car will get attacked from behind.
I font have that much trust in dashcams and parking mode, where i live you often have rain droplets on the glass, and in the old days we also had something called snow in the winter, though i have almost forgotten how it look due to change in the climate.
And there is a tree right where i park that also shower my car in dead leaves at times of the year.

I am only going to use parking guard at the times i am shopping, and that are always done in minutes.

If you park right there in more or less the same spot i would put a CCTV camera on the car instead, you can get pretty darn small outdoor cameras most will not notice.
I use to have ( it sadly died ) a football sized ( 7" ) PTZ camera on my car, but those you can also get a lot smaller today, almost tennis ball sized.

Plus PTZ let you look around 360 and zoom in, i have among things seen cops raid a house out back for drugs ASO :)

OK, not wanting to step into any poop here, but some good rules to live by:
Do not go where you are not wanted.
Do not speak deeply of things you are not deeply knowledgeable about.

While not exactly seeing the whole side of a car, a cam mounted high on a side window inside aimed somewhat downward will show enough to prove a 'keying' event alongside most of that car. Front and rear cams might aolso9 offer some coverage at the ends of the car. See the many members here who do this type of install on the "Side Cams:" thread which @TonyM kindly gave a link to, and the viewing areas they attain. Also note that any cam mounted more inward will 'see' far less of the lower side since the car body will be blocking the view below the glass. Such a mounting would be adequate for driving protection though.

@kamkar1 clearly shows us how much better security cams could do this job where they are possible, which is not always. And as has been already said, that won't work here even as good as it can be. Still nice though.

Yes, outside-mounted cams could offer a better view against keying, but would need to be mounted on an end pointing the other way to get full side coverage. This is not practical for most of us and waterproof cam choices are extremely limited when you factor in reliability. And it would offer little for driving protection where you want to see farther out to the sides to capture crossing traffic at intersections, driveways, and parking lots. Such cams mounted at both ends on both sides might do both jobs well but now you're getting more complex and costly for very little practical gain. Perhaps most important is the fact that external cams are far more susceptible to vandalism which is the major concern here. Kind of obvious they're not a good choice for this member, ain't it?

@cltjames came here seeking knowledge and advice, not a fight or a pissing contest where there's no winners. We should be trying to give him what he seeks, which he has clearly explained through this thread. Offering alternatives is fine so long as they will meet his needs and wishes, but if they don't those are only distractions so need no mention.
Glad to have anyone join in here as long as they've read and understand what has been covered so far and can help us further those things which are not yet decided. I do not know and have all the answers, only more than a little experience with side-cams and dashcams in general along with a deep interest in the subject that has shown me some of what other's have experienced. I'm always open to learning more :cool:

Got to run off to work now and hoping to come home to something good here in this thread :)

Phil

While not exactly seeing the whole side of a car, a cam mounted high on a side window inside aimed somewhat downward will show enough to prove a 'keying' event alongside most of that car. Front and rear cams might aolso9 offer some coverage at the ends of the car. See the many members here who do this type of install on the "Side Cams:" thread which @TonyM kindly gave a link to, and the viewing areas they attain. Also note that any cam mounted more inward will 'see' far less of the lower side since the car body will be blocking the view below the glass. Such a mounting would be adequate for driving protection though.

No vantage point will capture the door panels, no matter how you position camera. If I walk alongside the car with my hands to my thighs and key the car, it won't catch anything. Just someone being next to the car. Which is "Suspicion" but not proof that the person keyed it. Meaning if you wanted to file charges or sue the person, the evidence you're seeking won't be there.

Car Door hits your car? Maybe. If someone is parked on top of you, then it might not show anything. What we see in @TonyM's photo is a car parked a reasonable distance, so enough for the wide angle lens to see the doors. So the chances this person swings open and nails your vehicle is slim.

"Tight Parking Spaces" where someone parks too close and hits your door will most likely capture nothing other than the door opening. If lucky, you can hear a "Thunk". If the "Thunk" is captured you might have a case. If not, and all you'll be getting is a car door opening.

The photos and videos in the thread @TonyM linked show exactly what I'm said before. Upward and Outward.

1591628575271.png

Yes, outside-mounted cams could offer a better view against keying, but would need to be mounted on an end pointing the other way to get full side coverage. This is not practical for most of us and waterproof cam choices are extremely limited when you factor in reliability. And it would offer little for driving protection where you want to see farther out to the sides to capture crossing traffic at intersections, driveways, and parking lots. Such cams mounted at both ends on both sides might do both jobs well but now you're getting more complex and costly for very little practical gain. Perhaps most important is the fact that external cams are far more susceptible to vandalism which is the major concern here. Kind of obvious they're not a good choice for this member, ain't it?

Op specifically asked for a 360 Degree view then became a snarky prick when I pointed what he asked for and expected of the solutions he provided were inadequate. If the op merely wants "side coverage" without seeing the lower half of the car, then mounting on the Pillars is fine. If OP wants to catch vandalism, an external waterproof camera is the only solution. No tilting of the camera will give him the vantage point he seeks.

@cltjames came here seeking knowledge and advice, not a fight or a pissing contest where there's no winners. We should be trying to give him what he seeks, which he has clearly explained through this thread. Offering alternatives is fine so long as they will meet his needs and wishes, but if they don't those are only distractions so need no mention.

He asked a question about keying. I provided an Amazon Link with a proper quad channel setup. He then gives some half baked youtube video saying this will work. Guess why ask if you have the answers?

Last edited:
In some cars, an inside-mounted camera can be aimed towards the side mirror, which then gives a view along the side of the car in addition to seeing sideways.

y4m0NRMWd9AHRwq87DxEKi9HDBSt5HOv6_HZYxkmiPtacpJd2ACua0MaVdM-1J8tmz1BTBJXCB5Emav4Ui3bYvhWzrUTiolNFKN0-0Oa1YiMox1PqEXa2KzudowwkhZYt__9FWtBu1asZpb5ks08JnD6EP-cKQbe7KaM8TENujKbbzngwAT4Udv2tMmL6CnoZbZDdllTgZNGRfof4ZHGn7l7Q

Looking at the Rogue interior that may be possible with a camera mounted on the door, especially with one of these convex mirrors attached. Door-mounting can be tricky though, and is often impractical for most people.
1591628578242.png

An interior camera mounted at the back of the car looking forwards might pick up some detail on the side mirrors, but it will be rather small.

In some cars, an inside-mounted camera can be aimed towards the side mirror, which then gives a view along the side of the car in addition to seeing sideways.

y4m0NRMWd9AHRwq87DxEKi9HDBSt5HOv6_HZYxkmiPtacpJd2ACua0MaVdM-1J8tmz1BTBJXCB5Emav4Ui3bYvhWzrUTiolNFKN0-0Oa1YiMox1PqEXa2KzudowwkhZYt__9FWtBu1asZpb5ks08JnD6EP-cKQbe7KaM8TENujKbbzngwAT4Udv2tMmL6CnoZbZDdllTgZNGRfof4ZHGn7l7Q

You are barely picking up the uppermost portion of the side panels in the image shown. Rain, snow, dirt, and debris, can cloud the mirrors, and render any video useless.

Looking at the Rogue interior that may be possible with a camera mounted on the door, especially with one of these convex mirrors attached. Door-mounting can be tricky though, and is often impractical for most people.
View attachment 52037

An interior camera mounted at the back of the car looking forwards might pick up some detail on the side mirrors, but it will be rather small.

Only way one will get reliable coverage is either mount an exterior waterproof camera under the mirror, or open up the mirror housing, and drill a hole to insert the camera. Protecting the mirror with a firewall for the wires.

Any other solutions will be "inadequate" for getting the coverage OP is seeking.

No vantage point will capture the door panels, no matter how you position camera. If I walk alongside the car with my hands to my thighs and key the car, it won't catch anything. Just someone being next to the car. Which is "Suspicion" but not proof that the person keyed it. Meaning if you wanted to file charges or sue the person, the evidence you're seeking won't be there.

It is always remarkable how highly opinionated you are even when you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course, when someone disagrees with you or offers an alternative opinion you respond with insults and abusive behavior. No doubt we will witness more of this from you, perhaps even to this very post too because that just appears to be who you are and what you are all about.

Unlike you, many of us have been experimenting with and successfully using side facing dash cams for many years. In my case, it's been about seven years now. We know a thing or two about just what these cameras can and cannot capture. Unlike you, we have actual hands on experience from which to form an opinion.

So, your comment ,"If I walk alongside the car with my hands to my thighs and key the car, it won't catch anything.", is a perfect example of someone with no experience making completely uninformed, incorrect assertions.

As has been documented over the years here on DCT (and which even led to a reported prosecution) if someone walks up along side your car with their hands at their sides and keys your car, the act will make a very loud noise inside your parked vehicle that will be picked up by your cameras. Your side facing camera will clearly capture the responsible individual in the act and the act will be concurrent with the recorded sound of the car being keyed. You'll also probably capture the perpetrator's arm gesture as well, even if it doesn't capture the actual contact of the key with your vehicle's door panel. You will have all the evidence you need.

Here is a five year old example of a side facing camera (which I've since dramatically improved upon with better lenses and an improved mounting scheme) but even this early example does a terrific job of protecting my parked truck. It captures everything right down to the pavement next to and very close to my vehicle. Anyone keying the vehicle would get caught in the act, even without the audio.

leftmobius.jpg

Last edited:
You are barely picking up the uppermost portion of the side panels in the image shown.
I'm not trying to argue with you. I am trying to offer a helpful option. That was an experimental setup in my wife's car, with me in the passenger seat holding the camera on the door. It's certainly not optimal for many reasons. But the OP might just see that and think, "Hey, I can work with this".

Rain, snow, dirt, and debris, can cloud the mirrors, and render any video useless.
Rain, snow, dirt and debris can cloud external mounted cameras too

I'm not trying to argue with you. I am trying to offer a helpful option. That was an experimental setup in my wife's car, with me in the passenger seat holding the camera on the door. It's certainly not optimal for many reasons. But the OP might just see that and think, "Hey, I can work with this".

It's definitely a work around, but the rain drops on the mirror, can easily distort the image, as evidenced in the photo provided. Still, utilizing the mirrors will provided SOME coverage of the sides, albeit minimal. Some is better than none! No arguments here.

Rain, snow, dirt and debris can cloud external mounted cameras too

Agreed. My backup camera does get dirty, but its a quick and easy wipe away. Mounting a camera under the mirror would be the most optimal position.

Honestly, it breaks down to preference and how much protection the OP is truly wanting.

Note: I will say that if you have a newer vehicle that can save mirror positions, you may choose to point the side mirrors facing downward to get better coverage of the sides upon exiting the vehicle. Restoring the mirrors backed to earlier saved positions upon reentering and driving the vehicle.

Last edited:
Honest Review seems to have a problem with reality and with anyone whose opinions he doesn't like. When he first came here to DCT he exposed his lack of knowledge of dashcams quickly but the image he tried to present was quite the opposite. The word is "Sciolist"- go look it up. The first subject he got heavily involved with was the bashing of one particular cam model and it's manufacturer where he posted angriluy and vociferously and prodded others to act as he was doing. The word is "Troll"- go look that up too. And he came here recommending a cam completely unsuited to the purposes being asked for because he was being sent one for review for free and wanted to push it for the manufacturer when he didn't even have that cam in his hands and had never used one anywhere near like it. The word is "Shill"- look that word up too. And in his rantings here he has managed to piss off not only a new member seeking help, but also several older members whose cam knowledge is far greater than my own which is considerably more than his scant knowledge on this matter. Don't believe me? His posts are here for all to see right from the start, go have a look. Every word I say here is true and anyone can verify that. So maybe he also has a rotten memory- or could it be that he doesn't want people to see how he is and remember all these bad things about him? Watch him get defensive about my words, watch him try to prove otherwise, but go back and look if you don't remember and you will see that my words are true. This website would be better off without him.

What I am suggesting here- cams mounted high inside looking somewhat downward- is the very thing I do with my side cams, so I know what they can do. He apparently doesn't have any experience with side cams at all but thinks he has expertise on the subject. Due to the length of my van I don't have full side coverage, but where my cams do cover I can see someones hands at their waist level within about a foot of my van and that will almost certainly show if a key is in their hand, along with the physical action of them reaching towards my van and dragging their hand (and likely still with the key my cams just saw in it) alongside of it, which they would hardly have any other reason for doing such an action. Only someone who knew my cam system and it's limitations could key my van unseen, and that information is not apparent from outside my van even if someone did notice my cams- which most people don't. And other folks here are showing similar findings to mine. So I don't believe my advice to be bad, and I can't see nor have I been shown how any other practical arrangement could do any better with only a pair of 2-channel cams which still retaining good usage for driving. If you get right down to it, you would probably need close to a dozen cams to give 100% coverage of a car's painted areas to catch someone keying it regardless of how they went about it, and that amount of cost and effort almost reaches to being absurd. But it's there if you want it, and you're free to be as absurd as you like as is evidenced by Honest Review, who is now on the very short list of people here who I am done with because they are simply not worth wasting any effort on.

And to those who might care, do know that the OP and I are conversing via PM now, so he's not been abandoned.

Phil

Sorry, been a bit busy. Yeah if everyone would agree to just ignore him for this thread that would be great. Keying is not a priority, it was more said like an example. Also, I'm fine with just knowing who did it, I don't require proof for the police. If the dupe framerate isnt that big a deal (can i delete the frames and it runs perfect?), then a couple of those running on low bitrate for all sides sounds good. I do appreciate all the help guys. The power supply is next, but I still haven't figured the cams yet.

Last edited:
Back