New BlackVue DR750X PLUS Series Full HD Cloud Dashcam Now Available

But that means that if you drive for too long, then it corrupts the files?
I don't think 24 hours is a hard limit, just the schedule they use for the reboots, nobody is driving forever so at some stage it would catch up and do the reboot

These scheduled reboots, do they trigger when the car is stationary for a set period or more, or even mid trip?

User settable in the firmware.

Default is daily at 0300. You can enable/disable and select your preferred time.

Will only reboot if in parking mode at the scheduled time.

Last edited:
The need for scheduling reboots indicates an inability to operate reliably for long periods?

Having to get so close results in too much motion blur on vehicles coming the opposite direction, 2K resolution cameras have a significant advantage from being able to read plates further away where motion blur is far less. FHD is only for budget cameras now.
Personally I don't care much about the visibility of numberplates, and FHD also have some advantages. Like less power draw and better image quality at equally low bitrate.

FHD also have some advantages. Like less power draw and better image quality at equally low bitrate.
Should have less power draw, but the 2K cameras tend to use newer chips, which are often more efficient, and since they are normally mid range rather than budget cameras, they often have more efficient power regulation, so FHD may have lower power draw, but it is definitely not guaranteed.

Image quality is defined by the bitrate, so two cameras that have "equally low bitrate" should have the same image quality, unless one suffers from some other issue such as a poor lens quality. Using 2K gives the advantage that it can be optimised for better spatial resolution, while the FHD camera would have to use that bit of the bitrate for something else such as temporal resolution, but that doesn't give "better image quality" for the FHD, just the possibility of a different compromise if that is what the designer decided on. Overall I would expect to get better image quality from the 2K camera if both were using the same bitrate, and I could select how to make use of the bitrate myself.

Dummy Question. How come Blackvue hasn't expanded into the 3 Channel Market? With all those upgrades in place, seems like the next step would have been to allow for an addition of a Front, Rear, and Interior Camera instead of picking between Front + Rear or Front + Interior.

Should have less power draw, but the 2K cameras tend to use newer chips, which are often more efficient, and since they are normally mid range rather than budget cameras, they often have more efficient power regulation, so FHD may have lower power draw, but it is definitely not guaranteed.

Image quality is defined by the bitrate, so two cameras that have "equally low bitrate" should have the same image quality, unless one suffers from some other issue such as a poor lens quality. Using 2K gives the advantage that it can be optimised for better spatial resolution, while the FHD camera would have to use that bit of the bitrate for something else such as temporal resolution, but that doesn't give "better image quality" for the FHD, just the possibility of a different compromise if that is what the designer decided on. Overall I would expect to get better image quality from the 2K camera if both were using the same bitrate, and I could select how to make use of the bitrate myself.
A clip with a lot of details and motion will look considerably more blocky encoded at 2K resolution that at FHD resolution if both are limited to 5Mbit/s.

As far as I know 750x use about 3W while 900x consumes about 4W.

Last edited:
A clip with a lot of details and motion will look considerably more blocky encoded at 2K resolution that at FHD resolution if both are limited to 5Mbit/s.
It doesn't have to, that is just a compromise some make so that the higher resolution has a visible effect. If the bitrate is the same then there is the same amount of information stored, so overall quality is the same, just visible in different ways.

As far as I know 750x use about 3W while 900x consumes about 4W.
The 900 is a 4K camera, they always take more power, and have 4x the number of pixels, same detail as 4 750x channels.

Dummy Question. How come Blackvue hasn't expanded into the 3 Channel Market? With all those upgrades in place, seems like the next step would have been to allow for an addition of a Front, Rear, and Interior Camera instead of picking between Front + Rear or Front + Interior.
Triple channel cameras are aimed mainly at the Taxi/Uber market, hence Vantrue being first with the N4, then Viofo, although Viofo's A139 seems to be popular for consumers too. For those dashcam manufacturers that use a different chipset manufacturer, like Blackvue, 3ch could be a long time away.

It doesn't have to, that is just a compromise some make so that the higher resolution has a visible effect. If the bitrate is the same then there is the same amount of information stored, so overall quality is the same, just visible in different ways.
Try encoding a scene driving through something like a forrest at fhd/5Mbps and at 2k/5Mbps. I'm pretty sure 9 of 10 people would favor the fhd clip in a double blind test.
The 900 is a 4K camera, they always take more power, and have 4x the number of pixels, same detail as 4 750x channels.
It is not that simple. 4x pixels doesn't automatically equal 4x detail. A 4k sensor needs to be bigger or low light/high shutter speed will suffer.
Or maybe you believe a cheap china phone with gazillion pixel sensor is better than an IPhone with modest resolution sensor?

Triple channel cameras are aimed mainly at the Taxi/Uber market, hence Vantrue being first with the N4, then Viofo, although Viofo's A139 seems to be popular for consumers too. For those dashcam manufacturers that use a different chipset manufacturer, like Blackvue, 3ch could be a long time away.

What chipset is blackvue cameras? I presume the A139 still uses Novatek??

To be changed well before the end of the year!

So huawei is not totally banned in the US?

I dont think you will find it on any government / public buildings, but otherwise i dont think there is a problem

Try encoding a scene driving through something like a forrest at fhd/5Mbps and at 2k/5Mbps. I'm pretty sure 9 of 10 people would favor the fhd clip in a double blind test.
Maybe only if viewed on a FHD monitor rather than a 2K monitor!
But 5Mbps is not enough for driving through a forest at any resolution!

It is not that simple. 4x pixels doesn't automatically equal 4x detail. A 4k sensor needs to be bigger or low light/high shutter speed will suffer.
Or maybe you believe a cheap china phone with gazillion pixel sensor is better than an IPhone with modest resolution sensor?
In adequate lighting there can be 4x the detail, but unfortunately the Blackvue 900 series is not very good at demonstrating that.

In lower lighting the 2K sensor tends to win for dashcam use, both against the 4K and the FHD sensors, especially if you want to read number plates on oncoming vehicles.

To be changed well before the end of the year!

Currently with Blackvue you'd have to do 2 x 750s or and a 3rd camera running independent or 2 x 900 and a 3rd independent camera. So not a seemless or cheap proposition if you wanted all to talk to the cloud. So Blackvue doing a 3 channel setup with cloud connectivity would be a market trend setter. As no one offers such a feature.

Currently with Blackvue you'd have to do 2 x 750s or and a 3rd camera running independent or 2 x 900 and a 3rd independent camera. So not a seemless or cheap proposition if you wanted all to talk to the cloud. So Blackvue doing a 3 channel setup with cloud connectivity would be a market trend setter. As no one offers such a feature.
Exactly, agreed. We're excited to see this finally come to market.

Don't leave us hanging, what do you know?!!
Haha, unsure how much we can share at this time, but more news will be made available from us within the next few weeks. But definitely addresses the gap of a premium 3-channel setup in the market.

Exactly, agreed. We're excited to see this finally come to market.

Haha, unsure how much we can share at this time, but more news will be made available from us within the next few weeks. But definitely addresses the gap of a premium 3-channel setup in the market.

I would further state, that to compete, a low bitrate parking option would be necessary. Viofo seems to be the only one using "live recording" at a lesser bitrate vs. Motion Detection or Buffered parking Mode.

Low Bitrate allows one to records in real time without the worry of "Motion Detection" or Buffered Parking in the event of an incident. As remember, someone keying your car, cart rolling into your car, and other incidences may not be enough to trigger the camera. With low bitrate parking mode, it's always recording an no action will be missed.

So huawei is not totally banned in the US?
Some restrictions on importing, mostly relating to businesses and government bodies doing that. Some restrictions on where Huwei equipment may be used. They add up to a very large "ban" but it's not total, and it seems only those who flagrantly ignore the rules get prosecuted. AFAIK no individuals have had legal problems from it, but some wireless phone networks and ISP's will not allow it's use.

Phil

Back