VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

AUTO means AUTOMATICALLY turning on/off the HDR mode according to the time you set in the timer

Thank you!

It wasn't entirely clear from the two images if the camera now could somehow automatically turn ON and OFF HDR at dawn and dusk perhaps by analyzing the sensor or if AUTO simply engaged the manual settings.

I was also a bit puzzled by @McLaren__F1's comment which I was responding to with my initial question.

It makes much more sense now.

What's the point of having a timer on the HDR on V2.6T?
I just set it on AUTO

Last edited:
Dusk and dawn would be ideal because of the ever shifting times but probably not possible.

Attention! There is one nuance when switching the HDR mode - interrupting recording for 4-5 seconds (the start of recording after switching lags behind this time)

Next question ...... the recommended night settings also involve changing EV to -1/3. That presumably takes away some of the glare from oncoming headlights and number plate reflections ?

I've tried -1/3 in daylight, CPL fitted, and it dulls the footage too much for me.

Auto HDR and EV ?

Last edited:
No, only HDR can be changed automatically, Viofo technical support replied that it is very difficult programmatically (automatic EV change) and this is not planned.
EV switching was very well implemented for dashcam DOD LS430W and others from that line - it was possible to change EV using the Up and Down function buttons.

Last edited:
I was also a bit puzzled by @McLaren__F1's comment which I was responding to with my initial question.
There are 2 versions of 2.6T firmware.
In the firmware: FWA119V3_V2.6T_20211029_HDR_automatic you cannot set the HDR switching time yourself, it is fixed there.
In the firmware: FWA119V3_V2.6T_20211203_HDR_automatic you set the HDR switching time yourself.

There are 2 versions of 2.6T firmware.
In the firmware: FWA119V3_V2.6T_20211029_HDR_automatic you cannot set the HDR switching time yourself, it is fixed there.
In the firmware: FWA119V3_V2.6T_20211203_HDR_automatic you set the HDR switching time yourself.
Thanks for explaining that!

Do you have a link for FWA119V3_V2.6T_20211203?

Dusk and dawn would be ideal because of the ever shifting times but probably not possible.

We've been talking about an AUTO day/night function for dash cams here on DCT for many years. I've always felt it could be done with a photodiode. (perhaps on the side or rear of a dash cam so not to be triggered by oncoming headlights)

Thank you!

Given that we have similar views on the night performance of previous firmwares I'll be interested to see and here your testing results.

I'm away for Xmas so I can't load the firmware for at least a week.

Given that we have similar views on the night performance of previous firmwares I'll be interested to see and here your testing results.

I'm away for Xmas so I can't load the firmware for at least a week.

I generally don't use HDR as I get better results with it off during the day. I tend to drive most often during the day these days anyway but this time of year it gets dark at 4PM here and so I end up driving in the dark regardless. So, I thought I might just experiment with it using the timer function despite the fact that HDR for night time plate capture doesn't work well with USA sized license plates.

One interesting thing, and part of the motivation to experiment is that I live in a place that attracts a lot of tourists, especially around the holiday and ski seasons. So you'll see numerous license plates of all different colors, lettering styles, contrasts, reflectivity and so on. So, I'll see what plates I can capture, if anything.

Last edited:
One interesting thing, and part of the motivation to experiment is that I live in a place that attracts a lot of tourists, especially around the holiday and ski seasons. So you'll see numerous license plates of all different colors, lettering styles, contrasts, reflectivity and so on. I'll see what I plates I can capture, if anything.
Please don't forget to show it to us.;)

Back