Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

Answer VIOFO!!
This will be fixed on V3.2.6 version, we will upload it to the google store soon.

Last edited:
At the moment, I suggest you keep it up to date with the latest firmware. Maybe give new firmwares a week for other people to find anything serious before you install it, but generally there will be quite a few things fixed and improved in the first few firmwares. After a while the updates tend to be additions, and if yours is doing what you want then leave well alone!
Members have pointed out a different version than the one which is listed on their website. V1.0_0623 is the latest official one, right? Any known bugs?
On the GPS, most people are not having issues, so it may be that you have put it too close to something else that is interfering with the GPS signal? Maybe your A119?

Or possibly you have mounted it on a piece of windscreen that has heater wires or something else blocking the signal?
I thought it could be an issue which crops up once or twice but nope, this does happen often. This is a screenshot from a video which was recorded an hour ago. This showed when the speed was around 45-50 kmph. I guess my GPS module could be faulty. Will assess this for few days more and then decide to raise a complaint.

GPS Problem.png

Regarding your doubts, nope I have nothing which interferes with the GPS Signal. A119 was a makeshift experiment just to show the difference in image qualities between these two cameras as members had pointed out that my earlier comparison was not Apple to Apple. A119 does its duty in my other car.

This is how the windshield looks like.

Front 1.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Another issue which I observed with CPL is Vignette. Earlier I did not notice this as the videos I accessed were during Night but today I saw this. Notice the corners. I should also mention that I have matched the lines on CPL and Camera, still I face this issue.

Corner 1.png
Corner 2.png

Members have pointed out a different version than the one which is listed on their website. V1.0_0623 is the latest official one, right? Any known bugs?
If you don't want to test beta releases, stick to the one on their website. If you want to play with betas, and accept any issues that might cause, there is a thread on firmware updates, watch it for updates. If you need a beta update for some reason and it is not on that thread, ask Viofo to give you one.

This is how the windshield looks like.
The very vertical windshield will make it harder to pick up the GPS signals, although I would expect it to be OK in India, unless you are in deep valleys, which doesn't look to be the case. If you are talking to Viofo about it, mention the steep angle of the windshield.

Another issue which I observed with CPL is Vignette. Earlier I did not notice this as the videos I accessed were during Night but today I saw this. Notice the corners. I should also mention that I have matched the lines on CPL and Camera, still I face this issue.
The A139 CPLs do that if you don't push them on fairly hard. On mine I did remove all the vignette by pushing it on firmly. The CPLs are supposed to have been updated to make them fit the A229 better, but maybe there are still some older ones about. Getting the lines aligned does not help with the vignette, and I recommend fine tuning the alignment by checking for reflections, since the lines may not be perfectly accurate.

A229 Duo - Android v3.2.6 VIOFO App - Front Exposure Setting Change Requests

VIOFO released v3.2.6 of the Android VIOFO app and v2.9 of the iOS VIOFO App this past week. The rollout of the update on the Google Play store was over a 7 day period and I finally was able to download and install v3.2.6 last night.

This morning, I checked whether setting the front camera exposure setting would cause the A229 Duo to lock up using v3.2.6 of the VIOFO app. It seems to work now like it did with the v3.2.5 updated test app I had on my tablet. The publicly available Android VIOFO app v3.2.5 would cause the A229 Duo to lock up/crash when attempting to set the front camera's exposure setting.

Here are the HTTP GET requests from the v3.2.6 app to the A229 Duo changing the front camera exposure setting. I walked through all of the values starting out at "+0.0" and setting the value to each of the positive exposure settings and then returning to the "+0.0" value at the end. The HTTP GET requests are now formed in a manner that is compatible with the A229 firmware.

I ran a test of iOS v2.9 (earlier this week - without packet tracing) and it seems to not crash the A229.

Both iOS v2.9 and Android v3.2.6 seem to work with the A229 Duo (not causing the A229 to hang/crash).

1662223046786.png

Front Exposure Setting Change Requests
Thanks for this update. Although I haven't downloaded the app, but good to know they're overhauling these issues.

Any update regarding WDR or exposure correction which improves night time legibility?

Any update regarding WDR or exposure correction which improves night time legibility?
No not yet. I had to remove the A229 Duo front camera from my car to make room for the other dash cameras.

I have two Vantrue E1 dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR not enabled) and I have two A119 Mini dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR not enabled). I have a VIOFO T130 and a BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus (both front/rear cameras on the front windshield for testing a fix for the underexposed footage from the RC110F rear camera - I don't think Pittasoft wants to fix that issue). When a Vantrue E1 firmware is released that fixes the low audio problem introduced in the most recent firmware version, I'll be able to begin my video footage gathering for my review of the Vantrue E1 dash camera. I'll have video footage with and without HDR enabled for the E1 and A119 Mini to compare against.

Hi, does A229 Duo record with H265 codec? Beacause many shops in Poland (damn an official viofo.pl) wrote that this dashcam support both h264 / h265 codec i bought this dashcam, but h265 is missing. Any information?

Last edited:
Just purchased the VIOFO A229 one-channel 2K camera. Well, not impressed. The video is choppy (appears to skip - but not all the time), pixelated and for the most part, I find it difficult to read street signs, not alone licence plates. I have sent a support request to VIOFO, but that so far is proving difficult. Anyhow, I can appreciate new cameras sometimes have issues, but the production copy I received just seems to be way below the quality others have mentioned in Youtube reviews (sure, some may have been paid reviews - who knows). Also, the clock can not be changed. I mean, you can change it in the camera and through the app, but the change is not retained and the camera resorts back to a time it wants to display (maybe I have done something wrong).

No matter, the video quality is atrocious, even with the polarized filter on. When I asked for support, they provided the following regarding the 256 GB (VIOFO) card I purchased "A larger size card may make the camera unstable, so 128GB is the conservative choice". Guess I now need to purchase a 128GB card, but I'm not too sure the card would resolve the video/stills capture quality. Also, it is very strange that when reviewing the video from the card, I noticed something very weird. The recording was set for 5-minute captures. Near the end of the first capture, the vehicle is running and waiting in front of a residence for my son to exit and get in the vehicle. The video then progresses to the next 5-minute capture and for the first 30-45 seconds, there is no movement captured from the residence, but you see the vehicle shake and the passenger door closes and the vehicle departs the residence. The video did not capture, while directly in front of the residence's front door, my son exiting the residence, walking down the front steps towards the vehicle. There is no way it would not have captured that - but it didn't (no ghost stories required), it just failed to capture portions within the video.

I guess I received the camera that fell off the assembly line...

Also, the clock can not be changed. I mean, you can change it in the camera and through the app, but the change is not retained and the camera resorts back to a time it wants to display (maybe I have done something wrong).
The clock is synchronized by GPS satellites, so you need to set the correct time zone in the menu.
Edit:
You also forgot to write what firmware is installed in your model and what settings you use.
And also put a minute video on a file hosting service and give a link here.
Perhaps users will see a little more than you see.

The clock is synchronized by GPS satellites, so you need to set the correct time zone in the menu.
Edit:
You also forgot to write what firmware is installed in your model and what settings you use.
And also put a minute video on a file hosting service and give a link here.
Perhaps users will see a little more than you see.
Thank you for your reply - as suggested, I changed the time zone and now the correct time is displayed (yes, I feel like an idiot). I will try and upload to Google docs. The firmware (this is for the single front channel camera version) is: VIOFO_A229_V1.0_0623. VIOFO indicates no update available.

Just purchased the VIOFO A229 one-channel 2K camera. Well, not impressed. The video is choppy (appears to skip - but not all the time), pixelated and for the most part, I find it difficult to read street signs, not alone licence plates. I have sent a support request to VIOFO, but that so far is proving difficult. Anyhow, I can appreciate new cameras sometimes have issues, but the production copy I received just seems to be way below the quality others have mentioned in Youtube reviews (sure, some may have been paid reviews - who knows). Also, the clock can not be changed. I mean, you can change it in the camera and through the app, but the change is not retained and the camera resorts back to a time it wants to display (maybe I have done something wrong).

No matter, the video quality is atrocious, even with the polarized filter on. When I asked for support, they provided the following regarding the 256 GB (VIOFO) card I purchased "A larger size card may make the camera unstable, so 128GB is the conservative choice". Guess I now need to purchase a 128GB card, but I'm not too sure the card would resolve the video/stills capture quality. Also, it is very strange that when reviewing the video from the card, I noticed something very weird. The recording was set for 5-minute captures. Near the end of the first capture, the vehicle is running and waiting in front of a residence for my son to exit and get in the vehicle. The video then progresses to the next 5-minute capture and for the first 30-45 seconds, there is no movement captured from the residence, but you see the vehicle shake and the passenger door closes and the vehicle departs the residence. The video did not capture, while directly in front of the residence's front door, my son exiting the residence, walking down the front steps towards the vehicle. There is no way it would not have captured that - but it didn't (no ghost stories required), it just failed to capture portions within the video.

I guess I received the camera that fell off the assembly line...
Hello YouTube user "Dave". I see you've come to DashCamTalk to discuss this issues with your A229. This is a great place to get info from several people.

I'm the person on YouTube you claimed must be getting paid to make the videos I created for this dash camera (which I'm not).

As I mentioned in my 3-month follow-up video, the original firmware release in the production units did have a few issues. One of them being stuttering video. I stated in my video to make sure you upgrade to at least v1.0_0623 firmware (or later) and the latest version currently available is v1.0_0801. When you update the firmware version in any VIOFO dash camera, it will reset the camera settings, so make sure you update any of the settings in the firmware settings to your previously configured values. One quick way to tell if you have an older version than v1.0_0801 is the time display on the screen will only have hours:minutes, but starting with v1.0_0801 you will see hours:minutes:seconds. Current firmware available here: https://viofo.com/content/61-a229-duo-support/

As I mentioned in my comment to you on YouTube, the CPL filter does make a difference but it must be aligned correctly on the front lens barrel of the A229. There are alignment marks on the camera lens barrel and the CPL and that's a good starting point. I found I had to rotate my CPL filter's alignment about 5mm from the camera's alignment mark to get the best glare reduction for my vehicle's windshield reflections.

The clock's current can be set directly on the A229's menu screen or via the VIOFO app, but as @Karagandinez stated you must make sure you select the correct time zone offset for your current location. There is no automatic daylight saving time (DST) adjustments by the camera. I'm located in a GMT-8 location (standard time), but right now (and for a few more weeks) daylight saving time is active so I must select GMT-7 to make the time offset for DST.

Getting the firmware updated (if not already updated) would be the first step. If the problems continue, the posting the configuration settings and the behavior that is present with those settings would be the next best step to get help from someone on this site with your A229's issue. (resolution, looping time, bitrate, CPL present,/not present, EV values [other than 0.0], parking mode, how it's powered - power port plug or HK4 hardwire kit [required for parking mode support]).

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply - as suggested, I changed the time zone and now the correct time is displayed (yes, I feel like an idiot). I will try and upload to Google docs. The firmware (this is for the single front channel camera version) is: VIOFO_A229_V1.0_0623. VIOFO indicates no update available.
FWA229A_V1.0_0801
Edit:
FWA229A_V1.0_0801
2K+2K
Bitrate=Max.
CPL=On
EV=-1/3
Download the video to your computer to watch.

Last edited:
FWA229A_V1.0_0801
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I saw the firmware update. I tried to do the update via the APP, however, it indicated no update is available for my camera (my camera is NOT the dual channel, it is the single channel version), so, the only firmware available for my single channel is: VIOFO_A229_V1.0_0623

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I saw the firmware update. I tried to do the update via the APP, however, it indicated no update is available for my camera (my camera is NOT the dual channel, it is the single channel version), so, the only firmware available for my single channel is: VIOFO_A229_V1.0_0623
The firmware is the same for all modifications of the A229.

A229 and A229 DUO use the same firmware.

Just purchased the VIOFO A229 one-channel 2K camera.
Never knew that there was a one channel A229 version.
So what is the benefit of getting this over an A119 Mini? What features are gained (or missing)? Why pay $40 extra?

Never knew that there was a one channel A229 version.
So what is the benefit of getting this over an A119 Mini? What features are gained (or missing)? Why pay $40 extra?
Basically, two things I considered important to me. The A229 had a larger screen (I have old, tired eyes) and I did not require the two-channel version as my vehicle's rear window rolls down, so I stuck with the front channel. Really, no other reason(s). Perhaps the 4K A229 version would have been better for me as the video quality (for me) of the 2K does not seem on par with what others have experienced (of course, I may have my settings not tweaked to what others have done - but I am working on that).

Back