A bunch of my own dash cam videos......

I grew up in Queens (Jamaica), but just can't stand the city anymore.

Could never ever live in Crooklyn lol

You know man, seeing you in your videos you have always reminded me of the guys I grew up with in the old neighborhood. I guess I was picking up more than I realized. I too grew up in Jamaica. And I too can't stand the city anymore which is why I moved to Vermont decades ago about the time the crack epidemic was raging out of control when just getting off the subway on Hillside Avenue after work and walking home was like taking your life in your hands.

Last edited:
You know man, seeing you in your videos you have always reminded me of the guys I grew up in the old neighborhood. I guess I was picking up more than I realized. I too grew up in Jamaica. And I too can't stand the city anymore which is why I moved to Vermont decades ago about the time the crack epidemic was raging out of control when just getting off the subway on Hillside Avenue after work and walking home was like taking your life in your hands.

I know it all too well

Grew up a block from the 169 Street stop on Hillside

Terrible area back then and although things have definitely changed over the years, I still try my best to stay far away from it.

5-0 lost interest in me it seem, even if i always put on my crook face when i see them, not least unmarked cars.
But i think i am too old to be interesting nowadays.

I lived in a different part of Jamaica in my earlier years so I went to PS 131 and then to Jamaica High School.

Jamaican paotis is pretty cool, stimulate my playful language brain immensely.
Also a big Reggae fan.

Jamaican paotis is pretty cool, stimulate my playful language brain immensely.
Also a big Reggae fan.

Different Jamaica, not the country but a neighborhood in the borough of Queens in New York City originally settled by the Dutch in the mid 1600s. The neighborhood also includes Jamaica Estates, where Donald Trump was born and raised.

There are other places named Jamaica around the world, 22 of them. We have a Jamaica here in Vermont not too far from where I live now.

Last edited:
Damn Dutch PPL, they pretty much also build the Amager part of Copenhagen, as i recall it was just a low water swamp when they arrived. :)
I knew the Dutch been a big part of early NYC area.
It was also the Dutch that pretty much made sure that the Swedes did not completely sack Denmark last time we made them mad.
They pretty much had taken it all and laid siege to the capitol.

I have Rome and Paris, about 1 hour drive north from where i live, but they are both a far cry from the actual cities, actually blink while you are driving and you might miss them both.

We did have a lot of guys from the country of Jamaica who spoke like that in Jamaica, Queens when I lived there. Immigrants coming to the USA from Jamaica were attracted to the neighborhood because of the name.

I haven't been back there in a long time but I was amazed by the transformation I witnessed last time I was and I know that since then it's only gotten more intense. The borough of Queens is now the most ethnically diverse place on the planet. It is like the traditional NYC melting pot I grew up around on steroids.

Despite the problems in a city with such a large diverse population there was a lot of good energy, especially in commerce and culture. If you like eating interesting delicious foods from around the world the place is amazing. It's really classic New York City. Wave after wave of immigrants come to NYC, assimilate into the population, add their culture to the mix and sometimes move on to other parts of the country or their kids do. My parents and grandparents were immigrants to the USA during a different era.

Last edited:
There are other places named Jamaica around the world, 22 of them.

Jamaica in the UK consists of 1 building, but we have about 800,000 "Jamaicans" living here.
JamaicaInnSign.jpg

Jamaica in the UK consists of 1 building, but we have about 800,000 "Jamaicans" living here.
JamaicaInnSign.jpg

I'm curious, Nigel. Why do you put "Jamaicans" in quotes?

Authors often use quotation marks when nothing is being quoted. The marks usually indicate irony, skepticism or derision—as such, they are sometimes called scare quotes.

I'm curious, Nigel. Why do you put "Jamaicans" in quotes?

Authors often use quotation marks when nothing is being quoted. The marks usually indicate irony, skepticism or derision—as such, they are sometimes called scare quotes.
Because the figure includes British people born in Britain to Jamaican parents, British people born in Jamaica when it was British, British people born in Jamaica after it became an independent nation and member of the Commonwealth, and I think it includes Jamaicans who are not British. Not all these people will consider themselves as Jamaicans. The figure comes from the Jamaican High Commission in London; the quotes were to indicate that there is questionably accuracy of the classification.

Because the figure includes British people born in Britain to Jamaican parents, British people born in Jamaica when it was British, British people born in Jamaica after it became an independent nation and member of the Commonwealth, and I think it includes Jamaicans who are not British. Not all these people will consider themselves as Jamaicans. The figure comes from the Jamaican High Commission in London; the quotes were to indicate that there is questionably accuracy of the classification.

Hmmn....Here we would likely call them Jamaicans without the scare quotes even if they were second or third generation or whatever but we would still call them Americans. As in the video above, people are referred to by their ethnicity, religious and cultural traditions which is distinct from their status as citizens. My family has been here for generations but nobody would ever refer to my family's ethnic or religious heritage in quotes because it would be insulting and offensive and that is why they call them "scare quotes" and "sneer quotes". It is remarkable that you are still making reference to the domination of the Commonwealth as a determination of a person's "classification" regarding whether or not they are British as if their original heritage and ethnicity is somehow negotiable or debatable.

Last edited:
Hmmn....Here we would likely call them Jamaicans without the scare quotes even if they were second or third generation or whatever but we would still call them Americans. As in the video above, people are referred to by their ethnicity, religious and cultural traditions which is distinct from their status as citizens. My family has been here for generations but nobody would ever refer to my family's ethnic or religious heritage in quotes because it would be insulting and offensive and that is why they call them "scare quotes" and "sneer quotes".
Works differently here, most of them will consider themselves British, including the ones born in Jamaica; calling them all Jamaicans would be seen as segregation, which is not acceptable, thus the quotes were necessary.

They do of course remember their history, origins and culture, but most of the people who moved here from Jamaica very successfully integrated themselves into local communities and culture, they are not seen as a separate ethnicity, religious or cultural group, any more than people from the next county or any other part of the British Empire, they have been British for 358 years.

No wonder Xiaoma live in NYC, plenty of places to go test out a new language.

I notice that the cop himself is unmarked too!

Looking at your rear camera footage, this guy is walking towards the Porche and you can see him open the door and get in. Also, the Porche appears to be illegally parked near a driveway entrance next to what I believe is a no parking sign.

cop.jpg

Back