0803 or Panorama S? (First time Buyer!!!)

Velosiped

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

After seeing someone blow a red light in front of me, i finally decided to invest in a dashcam (after meaning to do it for a long timee).

I drive a small coupe and I want a small dash cam. At first I looked at the 0801 / 0803 series as they seemed to provide the right amount of quality vs their size. (Can fully fit behind the mirror).

Then i read that there were plenty of problems with the 0801, and some problems with the 0803 (like it would just freeze on startup).

The panorama seems like it would be small enough as well. I will take measurements (of the space behind my car's mirror).

Question is: is it worth it ? if so, which one to get?

GPS would be nice,
Parking mode seems to be good too (how hard is this to set up?)

Either way, it's a gadget for me to play with, but I don't want to get something that will just fall apart / drive me insane.

Thanks!

PS. I'm also afraid of getting fakes, I know the 0801 had plenty of "fake" models

Thanks for your reply!

Which Panorama S would be best? I see there is one with the Battery Discharge prevention device. That is only if I choose to hardwire it, correct? (Maybe one day I would :) ). For now I just want to use a 12V outlet..although I won't get the "parking mode" this way, correct?

Thanks again

as long as you're connected to a power source parking mode is available, the battery discharge prevention device is purely a backup against getting stuck with a flat battery, if you don't leave the car for any extended periods not such an issue anyway, if you needed to you could always just unplug the camera, power consumption is one of the lowest around also

Ah, I understand now, thanks. It seems that the only way to get power to the dash cam is to hardwire it or have a third power supply when the car is off. (Since outlets won't provide any power)

Thanks for your reply!

Which Panorama S would be best? I see there is one with the Battery Discharge prevention device. That is only if I choose to hardwire it, correct? (Maybe one day I would :) ). For now I just want to use a 12V outlet..although I won't get the "parking mode" this way, correct?

Thanks again
Here's the Panorama S bundled with the Battery Discharge Prevention hardwire kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KH72TAA
If you want the hard wire kit AND GPS, here you go
www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH7ERAK

Last edited:
I've read people had mixed experience with "parking mode".

It says the dash cam has a "capacitor" instead of battery. If disconnected from a power source, does that mean it dies in a couple of seconds (instead of 10 min for example).

Thanks!

I've read people had mixed experience with "parking mode".

It says the dash cam has a "capacitor" instead of battery. If disconnected from a power source, does that mean it dies in a couple of seconds (instead of 10 min for example).

Thanks!

The DashCam's that have built in batteries are not meant to last more than a few seconds. (unlike an action-cam, GoPro for example)
The battery and supercap are designed so the last clip you are recording is safely written to the card if you get in an accident.
If you hook up the Panorama via Hard Wire Kit, your car battery now becomes "The Battery" when main power is disconnected. You can record up to 48 hours or more before the Battery Discharge Prevention circuitry cuts off power to save your battery. You need to be able tos start the car of course.

More info:
http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

The drawback with the Panorama is its size, it's big and hence not exactly stealth friendly. If you want stealth then the 0803 is much better

The drawback with the Panorama is its size, it's big and hence not exactly stealth friendly. If you want stealth then the 0803 is much better

The only two advantages 0803 has are size and price. In rest it looses to high-end Panorama.

There are no drawbacks in mounting Panorama if you are good in DIY, just use your imagination ;)

My latest DIY

My previous bracket / mount projects:

Project #1
Project #2
Project #3
Project #4
Project #5
Project #6
Project #7
Project #8

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of which are pretty big advantages.

Other than video quality what is better about the Panorama.

Other than video quality what is better about the Panorama.
build quality, power supply, supports up to 128gb memory, has real parking mode, very low power consumption, there's probably more but that's what comes to mind

build quality, power supply, supports up to 128gb memory, has real parking mode, very low power consumption, there's probably more but that's what comes to mind
Thanks, I am not trying to be a smart ass but what is better about the power supply......I don't use parking mode so for me that isn't an advantage although clearly it is for some that want it, I suspect low power consumption is only relevant when using parking mode and the extra memory doesn't really matter too much as long as 32gb is supported most people wont need much more (I think I read somewhere that the 0803 supports 64gb so plenty enough).

Again I am not trying to be a samart ass, I am just interested to learn.

If you want something you can rely on 100% every time all the time (rock solid appliance in any condition) the Panorama is the way to go. You can be confident every accident, or incident you come across is recorded "for sure" (not I hope so)
If you don't mind an occasional lockup, or missed recording, the lower cost cams get the job done. (but it's a gamble)
Sure it might work great the first few months, but what about in 3 months?
It depends how serious you are about making sure the video is actually going to be there when you are counting on it. (moment of truth)

Thanks, I am not trying to be a smart ass but what is better about the power supply.......

power supply is built into the camera, takes 12v~24v straight in, the design of the power supply is far superior, not relying on USB power gives more install options as well, the problem with the 0803 is that not all are equal, some of the assemblers use lesser grade accessories, power adapter included and this can lead to stability issues, electrical noise etc

Hey, thanks everyone.

I went and purcahsed the panorama S. I haven't hard-wired it...yet. Just using the 12V socket for now...

Loving it!!! :)

One thing is are there "lower profile" mounts? I just saw some DIY projects. My windshields is more flat than normal ones. ALso, where the heck do I mount this GPS!?! :p

Hey, thanks everyone.

I went and purcahsed the panorama S. I haven't hard-wired it...yet. Just using the 12V socket for now...

Loving it!!! :)

One thing is are there "lower profile" mounts? I just saw some DIY projects. My windshields is more flat than normal ones. ALso, where the heck do I mount this GPS!?! :p

We have a ball socket 360 degree 3M Bracket / Suction Cup Brack combo mount for sale:
http://roadcam.ecrater.com/p/20173355/roadcam-rcpano2s360-suction-cup-3m

Back