0906 public test - bug list in live

My last files recorded play just fine, even after a short drive to the pizza guy.

I noticed those temps on the LCD too, nifty, mine said 70 deg when i saw it ( hard for my old eyes to make out such small things )

The footage in my night drive did feel better in focus, camera have been "cooking" in the car all day and i go for a drive soon.
I was hoping maybe some heat would make the focus shift to something better, but i assume if this is the case it will do the usual thing.

Temperature did confuse me, it wasent that hot yesterday, but will just have to follow up on this.
If it come down to it i am not afraid to open up the camera and adjust focus, but that will not happen right now.

I just ran the camera for 2.5 hours looking out a window to see what happened with focus drifting.

It seems that on my particular unit the focus shift has hit it's maximum within 15 minutes of the camera running with a single channel (ie rear camera not connected).

Here are some pics in order from 09:56 when the test started through to 12:22 - I'm just doing a sped up video to show the drift easier as well.

I'm kicking myself for not having the timestamp on the video which would make it easier to gauge time!

Frame 2017.05.04 09-56-22 (1-26-30.068).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 09-58-58 (1-29-05.107).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 10-04-53 (1-35-00.105).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 10-12-05 (1-42-12.133).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 10-45-05 (2-15-12.133).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 11-29-12 (2-59-19.612).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 11-59-47 (3-29-54.626).jpg Frame 2017.05.04 12-22-59 (3-53-06.800).jpg

For reference, here's a snapshot from a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z IMX291 based CCTV camera with varifocal lens (almost $200 worth) from sat next to the Mini:
20170504_130055.jpg

Last edited:
The video showing the drift on my camera is here:

For time reference that clip was at 60x speed so 23 seconds = 23 minutes.

On closer inspection the lens appears to be cracked slightly on what would be the right side of the image and that may not help matters - it's tiny so a nightmare to capture an image.

If you look very, very closely there are also two marks in the outer side of the lens cover exactly where the crack appears on the glass.

20170504_124651.jpg 20170504_124649.jpg 20170504_124628.jpg 20170504_124618.jpg 20170504_124609.jpg

In theory, a tiny crack on the periphery of a wide angle lens like that shouldn't influence the image very much but it may be an indication of internal lens element expansion when it gets hot. If the lens elements are expanding from heat inside the aluminum lens barrel to the point of cracking that may be an indication of where the problem lies. I've never seen that happen before but it may be something to consider and for other testers to take a look for in their sample units.

Might just be an unfortunate assembly or transit mishap rather than a blanket problem
I'm guessing the two marks on the lens outer casing which tie in exactly with the crack are showing where something has hit it rather than the lens popping under the heat.

I'm interested to see how the rest are compared to this anyway - so far we know a couple of others are also experiencing the focus drift so far

It may be worth me stepping back slightly at this stage as the footage I have may not be indicative of a fully functional unit.

@Nigel's idea of logging the temperature is a mighty fine idea - I never realised it was on the screen as I'd not removed the screen protector - that's a job that needs tweezers for sure :)

I've had my sample running out on my deck with a power bank for the last half hour or so, so I'll have a look-see in a bit. I'll examine the lens carefully at that time.

Speaking of temperature, I really like the on-screen temperature display too, however since this is an internationally marketed product the camera really needs a menu option to switch the read-out from Centigrade to Fahrenheit.

This would really be the same as when the ability to switch the date read-out on the 0806 to mm/dd/yy, etc., was suggested and incorporated.

I'm guessing the two marks on the lens outer casing which tie in exactly with the crack are showing where something has hit it rather than the lens popping under the heat.

I'm interested to see how the rest are compared to this anyway - so far we know a couple of others are also experiencing the focus drift so far

It may be worth me stepping back slightly at this stage as the footage I have may not be indicative of a fully functional unit.

@Nigel's idea of logging the temperature is a mighty fine idea - I never realised it was on the screen as I'd not removed the screen protector - that's a job that needs tweezers for sure :)

I see what you mean about those marks. Looks like some sort of impact or manufacturing glitch.

As for that screen protector, I had a devil of a time removing mine. I carefully pulled on the tab with a tweezers and it wouldn't budge. So I pulled a little harder and the tab came off leaving the protector behind. It was then a challenging and difficult chore to get the protector off the damned screen without scratching or damaging it.

I'd not removed the screen protector - that's a job that needs tweezers for sure :)
I used some pliers and still had a struggle!

In the end I got a small rectangular piece of plastic off, double the size of the pull tab. I'm not sure if there ever was plastic over the rest of the screen or not? There are still some pink marks on the screen so maybe I've just pulled the pull tab off the screen protecting plastic?

I used some pliers and still had a struggle!

In the end I got a small rectangular piece of plastic off, double the size of the pull tab. I'm not sure if there ever was plastic over the rest of the screen or not? There are still some pink marks on the screen so maybe I've just pulled the pull tab off the screen protecting plastic?

That was about the same experience I had. The rest of the screen protector does come off however. It requires some gentle precision surgery with an X-acto blade and some further tweezer work.

Ah yes there's definitely a screen size protector on there - likewise the sticky bit roughly the same size and attached to the green tab came off but luckily pulled up a bubble which I could start going with a nail.

If possible for debugging this having the temperature printed onto the video would make it super easy to debug as you could see the temperature and focus changes together in sync easily - not sure if it's possible to do a test firmware with that although saying that maybe the guys at the factory have nailed something already.

I just made a long video in the garden intending to check on how much the GPS moved around, unfortunately the speed overlay is white overlaid on a white flower and impossible to read! Can we have a black outline to the white text for people that have white cars?

The GPS seems pretty fast at connecting.

Looking at the log,
"A,040517,121838,5044.4563,N,330.9666,W,0.7,0.05,1.02,0.13;"
presumably 0.7 is the speed, followed by x,y,z accelerometers?
No GPS height etc on this camera...

If so then the speed looks very stable while in the garden.

What are the colours in the bars of the GPS diagnostic screen? I guess the bar height is signal strength?

Why is there a big box saying WDR on the screen hiding part of the picture?
There is no option to turn WDR on/off so I think there is no need for the indicator...

There is a battery/charge indicator in the bottom left, I had it on permanently this morning, but now it only comes on for 1 second after startup. Even if I leave it for 45 minutes it is still off. Either it is not working properly or I don't understand it, and if I don't understand it then it is no use...

Edit: I can turn the charge indicator on by stopping recording, and then it stays on if I start recording again!

I've just done another trip and first GPS lock took 4.5 minutes - I've also got a weird clip where looking at it from an RV point of view the GPS dropped out - but on the same clip it shows the co-ordinates and speed updating on the video itself.

You can see from RV below that the 1st and 6th files are missing G sensor data. From watching clip 1 there is indeed no GPS lock all the way through until the 4.5 minute mark which you can see half way through video 2.

Interestingly G sensor data starts to be logged in clip 2 and then GPS gets a lock half way through video 2.

upload_2017-5-4_16-33-1.png

The raw video file is available here:
https://mega.nz/#!oNsxUIrT!WbvfJ0QwJH0i_0PPyeWFux2G8_RqevU4Lz00p96Vqus

I've just done another trip and first GPS lock took 4.5
The map on that photo looks like an extremely inefficient route to get from S to F, especially after looking at the scale :eek:

I have 3 frame grabs from my drive today, 2 from the 0906 one hot camera and one cold, and then a reference frame from the GC ( hot )

Those 2 middle windows that's the kitchen and bedroom window in my sisters new apartment, and its in the same place ( #31 ) where i spent the first 12 years of my life we just lived 1 floor to the left then.
O and my sisters oldest kid, he live at the same place just 2 floor to the right.

GChot.jpg

0906 COLD
0906cold.jpg

0906 HOT
0906hot.jpg

The camera temperature for the 0906 cold picture was 27 degrees, the hot frame the temperature was 68 degrees.

Regarding color saturation i must say the 0906 are the closest, these "red" bricks as we Danes call them are of a reddish brown color, so the GC dont capture their color that good.
The 0906 are however a bit over saturated, but it is closer to the real thing.

The cameras of the google street view car also don't do the red/brown bricks any justice.

https://www.google.dk/maps/@56.1683...EMZBf1ZNhAq5oQWHU1qQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=da

O another think i have to mention, the camera are not as loud as i would like.
Not sure if it make any other sounds than the boot and shut down sounds, and then off course button press.
If it have a audio alert for using the manual event button louder would not hurt.

I'm finding the sound levels to be OK so far. Maybe it needs to have a special setting for people who've listened to too much Heavy Metal! :wacky:

I see what you mean about those marks. Looks like some sort of impact or manufacturing glitch.

As for that screen protector, I had a devil of a time removing mine.

Got the same problem, but managed to get it off in one piece.

@kamkar1 mention a very dim led light in Day light, I agree with him. Night time its fine.

I have tried to take photo with the remote (quick press) and I can see a "screen view" for a split second, but when I check on the SD card I don't see any photo.
I have put some "glow in the dark tape" on the button, so it will be visible at night. The same to the button on the cam. I can't even see them the in day light, because of the bright light coming through the windshield.

When I check and zoom in on a video clip, I don't see any blur in the corner. I made a close up view of lens and I could only see a little residue from the protection film, but it was a easy clean up..

The glow tape I added on the Button.
IMGP1479.JPG

Back